Monday, March 16, 2020

Preserve and preserves

Yesterday I went to the Preserve, local small wilderness area, partly desperate for change of scene, partly to conquer nerves at driving new car. Once I started I was fine, really liking the new car. After I remembered how to start it.

And found that a lot of people had the same idea. The normally deserted parking lot, me, park ranger, maybe one other birder, was jammed. Trails mobbed. Had to wait to get a people-free view of the lake!

 Mostly newcomers worrying about getting lost, shouting to each other about where to see birds, funny ,but they had the right idea. I had a brief glimpse of a resident bluebird before a shout sent her flying away.

Last time it was like that was the day after 9.11. Many local commuters never came home. Parking lot at the train station packed with cars which were eventually towed. People reassuring each other by coming to the preserve for peace. The incineration smell from the Towers was still drifting over.  We're less than  an hour, as the crow flies, from Manhattan.

It was lovely to be there, it's been a while since I had enough energy. I don't do the whole trail as I used to, since I may run out of juice a bit soon, but love to walk there. Usually, if you see anyone, it's kindred spirits wearing binoculars, pointing out interesting sightings, casually, not bothering each other.


The virgin beech wood generates its own climate, warmer in winter, cooler in summer.


And on the edge, milkweed for monarch butterflies.



The lake was a quarry, extremely deep, shelving, with many species of fish, and it's running water, so it's self cleaning. A lot of migrating waterbirds rest here a few days each year.  Overhead the newly restored bald eagles, sometimes an osprey, always turkey vultures and redtail hawks.


Peaceful meadow.



This morning, breakfast with cherry and berry preserves, very Belgian, Poirot would approve. He didn't like marmalade. I learned to like cherry jam at breakfast when I was working in France as an au pair.

 And not speaking a word of English for all the months I was there, bringing my fluency up to the point where, on the homeward journey,  Customs insisted I should be in the non-citizen line, until I waved my passport, and we all switched to English.

It served me well in my uni program, where everything happened in French, massive reading requirements, lectures, and, as a competitive program, students from much better preparation than I were together in class. I stayed nicely above water.

But back to the cherry berry preserves. I made it that day I did all the cooking, and it turned out a bit runny like fruit sauce. I saved some for Easter since I like fruit sauce with ham, while Handsome Son stoutly sticks with his manly mustard, Coleman's.

Then after waiting overnight, long enough to know it wasn't going to jell, I poured it back in the pan, with cornstarch, and reboiled it. It's now a passable jam like food. The flavor's lovely, just the texture needed work. It's the first time I tried that. Also the first time my jam didn't jell. So all is not lost if that happens.

Just thinking what to do today. Plain or fancy. Or both. I could be making new towels from the terry fabric I have for the purpose, to replace the thin and ragged ones I keep using. Hand stitching. Plain.Or I could be doing a bit of that silk piecing that's been waiting. Fancy. Or sort the outside storage, continuing the downsizing. Very Plain. Or spin some paper. Fancy.

I'll have another cup of tea and decide.



16 comments:

  1. A nice peaceful blog. Thanks. Now...to knit or not to knit...bake bread...read...decisions. decisions.
    The rumour is that spring is on its way....so something else to look forward to. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like to plan so as to have something to look forward to. I think there will be stitching when the weather gets warmer. Enjoy whatever you decide to do!

      Delete
  2. I think that some of this enforced isolating is going to do us good. Your jam looks delicious. Being out in nature is always good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm alone do much that it's not very different. But for my neighbors it's very strange. Times like this it's good to be a maker, or gardener, or generally self sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Were you not concerned about the crowd at the nature preserve? You have quite an array of skills and talents. Your jam looks lovely. I've just read the first of the Blanche White series and enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing her here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying Blanche. I'm looking for more.

      Delete
    2. There are four books in the Blanche White series. I'll look and see if I can find other books from her.

      Delete
    3. I've read Blanche Cleans Up, and now that On the Lam is going back to the library, I'm hoping for more. I might have to ask them to buy them

      Delete
  5. There was plenty of space between me and the nearest people. Jammed here is a relative term! A jammed wilderness area has more than about 35 people spread across acres! ND you can see in the pix I could get plenty of space around me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn’t considered the cars left behind in parking lots after 9/11. It must have been heart breaking to see them there!

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them were my clients' cars. Up to then I had for 12 years a flourishing home petcare service, visiting and caring for pets whose owners, many in the financial sector, were working long days or traveling.

      That day destroyed my business. Corporate travel shut down, surviving clients were transferred. I got calls from all over the world from stranded clients worried that I might not be able to keep visiting till they made it home. Since I had no deaths in my family (their fear)to take care of, I did of course attend till the owners got back, some over a week later.

      But I had lost my livelihood, not easy as a single in my 60s. And ours was the post office attacked with the anthrax spores. My mail was irradiated, much of it incinerated. Plastic bag of charred bits with apologetic note in the mailbox!

      Still here, though. Up to now, anyway!

      Delete
  7. The little glimpses into your past are so fascinating! Thank you for sharing.

    It's nice to think that nature is a comfort for people in times of social stress. It's always been my peace of mind too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I'm so glad I live in a beautiful place. It does surprise people whose idea of NJ is what they've heard from late night comics!

    Even pictures are better than nothing though, for people who can't get out to enjoy views of water and woodlands.

    Glad you're liking the bits of autobiography that get in here and there. They're all part of who we are, and I like it when people do it, too. No need to be more explanatory than is comfortable, I won't pry, but just a little here and there is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty pictures - must be really lovely when everything blooms out. I just made loquat jelly - picked from the tree in my backyard. Pretty damn good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better than cooking your own crop. I've never had loquats. I don't think they grow in this region.

      Delete
  10. Plain, fancy, both - nice to have options!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!