Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Testing, back to the drawing board. Wherever it is.

 Just trying something from the phone


Waiting waiting, from the fire tablet

As you see, it can't get over the last mile, and play.

I've been experimenting with videos, to see if I can ever upload to here. Or anywhere. At one time to upload to blogger you needed to go via your YouTube channel.

Now there seems to be an option to go direct to blogger.  Which sort of loaded but won't open from any source.

But several hours of trying and not getting anywhere have reminded me that Google, owners of YouTube, and Amazon, owners of the fire tablet, don't play well together, and that Amazon's playstore is hopelessly disorganized. 

I bought a camera app to improve my tablet's usefulness for video and can't find it to install. Amazon's instructions clearly don't apply to my tablet though they assured me it was eligible. Maybe Handsome Son can help me track it down.

I learned a lot, found I'd inadvertently opened a YouTube channel, and was  able to upload a trial video through a website giving me a one-time guest access to YouTube Studio, which opened up the works. 

This requires the YouTube Studio app, which I then installed more than once on my phone, before concluding it wasn't going to operate more than a couple of commands, none letting me in to upload. I can edit, title, describe the crummy little test video, but I can't do much else. 

I'm guessing my phone's too old. Sigh.  But I did learn quite a few things even though I don't have much to show for it. 

It reminded me that the fire tablet is neither Android nor not, so a lot of made for Android options don't run on it. I wasn't aware of this when I got the tablet which still serves me well anyway for a lot of functions.

And though I don't particularly want to start a regular YouTube channel, I notice a lot of videos saying how easy it is! Just use what you have!  That may not apply to me.

I also tried to upload a short video to Spoutible, buffering endlessly. Zero for four. I need to learn more.

EXCITED ED NOTE  I concluded the Spoutible video was too long, learned to edit it and tried again. It worked, it worked.  I really needed that bit of success. 

Because torrential rain is forecast today I decided against the knitting group, likewise the DVD pickup at the library and the package of knits to the post office. I may bake a chocolate cake in case Handsome Son drops in tomorrow. If so, he may help me with errands. TBD.

In other news, the mirror has been picked up from the dumpster and the other piece is now being rained on so I've removed the post.

Today's Textiles and Tea featured Svetlana Turov, a Russian Canadian felting artist who works in mixed media, adding precious stones and minerals to her work, sometimes painting into it, though her dyed colors are intense. 

She's featured in books sold at the Hermitage, on the history of felt art, and writes on it.




















She's a force of nature! Her husband has favorites among her work and would like to keep them, but she insists the energy has to get out there!  Check her website. Felting of this kind is labor intensive and beautiful.

Happy day everyone. The rain lasted a few seconds then went away, so much for forecasting. But I think it will be back.




31 comments:

  1. Years ago when I still had Angel and he was qute young, I managed to upload a very short video of him playing with a cat toy. I don't remember now how and don't want to bother learning again but it's still there somewhere, about five seconds long. (titled Angel Plays Ball just in case you might be interested.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about not wanting to learn it all again.

      Delete
  2. I love that last piece by Svetlana Turov of the octopus. It looks like it's conjuring up something, LOL. Anyway, for some reason, it speaks to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her work is very expressive. The wilder it gets the more I like it.

      Delete
  3. I put my personal; video clips on the computer and can then upload directly to blogger from there. Not sure about posting them from any sort of tablet, particularly yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is designed for the bigger setup, as a lot of older sites are. But read on, I had a bit of success.

      Delete
  4. That felt work is so beautiful! I have a small piece of feltwork that I bought in Newfoundland; it's laundry blowing on a laundry line, very Newfoundland.
    I'm having phone problems as well. Sigh. I miss the old days when they hooked up your phone and it worked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictorial felt is wonderful, full of color and movement and texture. Tech is great when it works!

      Delete
  5. My best success in posting videos comes from the embedding code from Youtube. I do have a Youtube channel and it must be easy otherwise I couldn't have done it. I know nothing about how one would go about doing anything from an Android device but if anyone can figure this out, it's you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy when you have the equipment! Not so much otherwise, many hurdles. But I have some success to report, stay tuned. Also a new idea

      Delete
  6. I think I managed to add videos to my blog a couple times over the years and it seems to me all (!!) I had to do was record the video on my camera (phone would work too) and add it to my pictures file on my blog. Then there's a ' video button' on Blog-grrrr that accesses the saved video on my computer and uploads it. Clear as mud?? No doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of that works. It uploads and won't open. I think you're using a laptop? My budget runs to a fire tablet and a basic smartphone. But I shall prevail.

      Delete
    2. No laptop for me - I have a tower. I don't like laptop keyboards because my secretarial hand memory just refuses to overlook where the keyboard is situated.

      Delete
    3. You're even higher end! No wonder you can make it work. It definitely helps to have the equipment the process needs.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on beating your head against that video stone until it cracked (not your head!) for Spoutible. That's determination.

    You must have added the Svetlana Turov photos differently than in the past, because I don't see thumbnails at the bottom of your post (I can still embiggen them, but need to use the 'back' button to return to the post). That being said - what a powerful artist!
    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I went on, I was thinking this isn't perseverance, it's more like perseveration. Spectrum effect.
      I uploaded as usual, so maybe blogger is tinkering behind the scenes. I don't plan to take on blogger next!
      Anyway you did get to see this amazing work. She's a charming and rather shy person, in contrast to the power in her work.

      Delete
  8. I upload all my videos to YouTube and embed them on my blog. This has been my workflow for many years. I don't mess with apps -- I just upload through my browser. I imagine you could do the same if you open Chrome or Safari on your Android and go to YouTube within that? (I don't have any Android experience, so I'm just guessing.)

    My impression is that Blogger's video hosting capabilities are not that good. What on earth is Spoutible?

    Svetlana's works are quite impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The browser on the Fire is Silk. On my phone I can use Chrome, and the phone is more flexible in use, more favored by YouTube. You're probably using a laptop? That's what is favored by blogger, and the lack of it is the hurdle I'm trying to get over. Anyway read on.
      Spoutible is a very good level playing field platform created and run by Christopher Bouzy, a young genius! Look it up.

      Delete
  9. Her work is amazing. We are overcast and humid and rain is hanging in the air just waiting to come down.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wish the rain would just get on with it!

      Delete
  10. I liked Turov’s work here and then I went to her website and was able to zoom in. Incredible. The octopus is even more stunning when you see the details close up.

    Felting is fascinating. I don’t do much work with my videos, simply record on my phone or camera, save in a format in QuickTime (sometimes I clip or splice together) and upload to YouTube before embedding from there onto my blog. I did load some videos directly to my blog in the past but then things changed or happened on Blogger, where I started, and WordPress, and the videos disappeared. I feel more secure having them on YouTube first. One of these days, I’ll add some skills. I’ve never even added music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only wanted to add in a bit of video on my blog, and see what a mess I got us in! But a good idea has come out of, so no harm done.
      I'm always glad when people check further into the fiberartists I present, because it's only a little intro. There's so much more.

      Delete
  11. Oh I like her work!
    I tried to upload a video of deer to my blog but it was too big. Lost interest after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe if you'd uploaded a video of a fawn?

      Delete
  12. I find technology very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That work certainly is colour intense - i like it. You are a brave woman learning new tech.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her work is powerful. Dealing with tech is less stressful than dealing with people insisting it's easy!

      Delete
  14. I was away but wouldn’t want to miss any info/updates, so I’m slowly catching up. Today, I was thrilled to see that felt octopus! How wonderful! I went to Svetlana Turov's website to see more works and also check out the finer details. Her use of “sparkly stuff” when she does the Niagara Falls pieces is so neat. Your observation of whether your perseverance was actually turning into perseveration is right on the money for me! Things I became aware of in myself after my children were found to be on the spectrum… Christopher Bouzy is indeed a genius. I’m so glad he got involved in a scuffle (or three) about Meghan Sussex on Twitter way back because that’s how I came to know him. And then I signed up for Spoutible first chance I could!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you back, Suzanne. Especially since you know what Spoutible is! And have heard my old Northern voice.

      Delete
    2. I like your voice! It’s easy to understand! Those House of Lords people who are allegedly posh, well, I can understand them only about 1/2 the time. (says the person who grew up in NJ…. ha!)

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!