Saturday, July 11, 2026

Slow tired day but things got done anyway

I'm a bit low in gumption today, tired, but I did get around to a few things.

This morning I noticed a corner of the patio which worked like an illustration of plant lifespan.

Deciduous Japanese maple foliage, evergreen pachysandra, daylily with bud, bloom and spent blossom next to honesty now in full seed setting mode. That's a lot of information in a couple of square feet.

I finally got around to the quiches I've been going on about, two as easy to make as one. Here they are, smelling great coming hot from the oven.


Crustless spinach with several cheeses. Patti, if you're reading here, this is Diane's recipe from Utne Cafe days, still going!

And today's bouquet included two teeny pink zinnias. If you pick, they keep blooming to replace the flowers.


 There will soon be more black eyed susans. A couple of these items will probably root in water and I may pot them up. The peppermint and the wandering dude are what I have in mind.

I did hold up the striped fabric to myself, to remember how much there is. Plenty for a robe and belt if I don't feel like weaving a belt. We'll see. Whatever I make will be simple.

Not up for drawing today, though I think I'll eventually make an artist book from my July drawings and paintings, using  paintings for front and back covers.

But I did draw you a coloring template if you fancy printing it out and coloring it or giving it to a kid likewise.

You have plenty of choices about showing layers or depth, whatever you fancy.

Happy day! Color inside or outside the lines today.  Or both. It's all good. No colors? Use a pen or pencil to create patterns inside the shapes. Just an idea.





24 comments:

  1. I love that, in or outside the lines! Either works. Sorry you're low today. Hope the rest of the weekend finds you well and you get recharged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my hope, too. The recent stresses have probably got me tired.

      Delete
  2. The colouring template got me thinking.....Then, no, not going out to buy paint/pencils/pens ...or anything of that nature..... yet. Lovely hound keeping an eye on your daily bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to buy anythin! If you have a pen or pencil you can create different patterns in the shapes, instead of colors. Just sayin.

      Delete
  3. I still haven’t tossed my little bouquet, but I did do some yardwork today and mowed the lawn. Good thing before the temperature goes way up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pays to get out early. My energy hasn't been up to walking the last day or two.

      Delete
  4. I love topo maps, and am visualizing the topography of your template. It's a delightful landscape.

    Our zinnias are just starting to flower. I'm looking forward to zinnia bouquets. Full credit to you and Mary Moon.

    Sounds like it was a good day to read and snooze. You had enough energy to make those beautiful quiches. We make ours crustless too. Hmmm - that might be dinner tomorrow here.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never liked zinnias until I grew them from seed. Then I got fond of them, as I got to know them. Funny that the template reminded you of contour maps, yes, there is a resemblance, probably subconscious.
      I never liked quiches with crust so when I found this recipe I was so happy. Easier, too.

      Delete
  5. I think I came out of the womb with my colors outside the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you're feeling better soon. Stress is hard on a body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm finally realizing that the stress of all the small setbacks had worn me down a bit, and it's okay to rest.

      Delete
  7. Crustless Quiche? Yes please. I rarely make quiches but bought ones all have far too much crust and so little filling. I shall google for a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a simple one, and I've never known it to fail me. Also you can season it to suit yourself. Maybe I'll blog the recipe.

      Delete
  8. A slow day or two is usually followed by more energy, though you haven't exactly been slacking, have you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me slow means getting everything done, but dragging myself into it and complaining!

      Delete
  9. Your coloring template is a brilliant idea. I won’t be using it myself because even as a child I didn’t enjoy coloring in someone else’s creation. But it’s a great design and a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, oddly, I liked making it but I wouldn't play with it!

      Delete
  10. My zinnias are looking tired, the leaves beginning to do that thing old Zinnia leaves do. I have cut a lot of them, have them in water. Hoping for roots to appear so I can have a second planting.
    I hope you find your energy returning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried rooting zinnias in water. Noted. I think I'll do better once I get the tooth attended to and decisions made.

      Delete
  11. I used to love colouring in when I was a child. I would disappear for a few hours into a world of colour. Unfortunately it was a much happier and safer world for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that it's a meditative kind of activity for adults. Maybe a little escape, too. I wish you'd had a better childhood. But you've given one to your own children and are now a great part of your grandchildren's lives, so there's that.

      Delete
  12. The quiche does look good. I love quiche but can't be bothered with the faff of making pastry first so this sounds ideal.
    I like colouring. Like jigsaws it keeps colouring keeps my brain quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can read the quiche recipe, it's much easier than the crust type. I don't like crust, at least with quiche.

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!