Monday, July 6, 2026

Bracelet undergoes reassignment, buds

So much cooler, windows open today.

After hours of torrential rain and flood warnings, though long-term we're in a drought, I got out briefly on the deck to show you a couple of things.

The little flower that came up right next to the gatepost turns out to be a coreopsis, tiny flowers with big color. There was one last year around here, so this may be its offspring.


And since it started raining again and I didn't want my phone wet, I quick took a couple of bud pictures 

The hibiscus is definitely going to pass last year's three blossom total 

And the zinnias will soon be ready to pick a couple for little bouquets. One there on the left may be red, always interesting to study daily. I planted only the dwarf ones this year, probably better for pots.

The potatoes are all going well, but too rainy to add their picture. All in all, pretty hopeful.

On the craft front, I declared the bracelet, if not done, as done as it's going to get, braided one end and it's now a handy scissor fob. 

I learned that perle cotton isn't good for this kind of project, too resistant to knotting, just slips away and tries to come undone. I've learned a lot one way and another. Still going, though. I'll try just embroidery floss.

Also still waiting for the antibiotics to arrive. Promised for Monday but who knows, holiday weekend. I need them in hand before I call the dentist about the tooth which has crumbled further, since I take them one hour before appointment. 

However nothing's really hurting, just some pressure, which might also be sinus reaction to the weather. So I'm trying to stay calm and occupied, and I'm starting another bracelet or something without the perle cotton and we'll see. 

I did some weaving this morning, always nice to have the loom ready to do a few inches.

 I've been amusing myself with puzzles online, mainly the math kind where the comments fill with furious arguments about the terms of the puzzle and how there's a better answer etc.  It's amazing how worked up nerds can get 

I'm pretty good at spotting puzzles that ask for logic rather than computation and usually know when there's not enough information to derive an answer. And the trick ones, like the one my teacher gave us and I've never forgotten from age 11.

We were doing mental arithmetic where she read out the question and we promptly  either shot up our hands or clasped our heads depending on aptitude.

It was a rapidfire addition which I'll improvise:

What's 3x6x4x8x2x8x5x6x0?    Some kids got the joke because she rattled out the number and dwelt on the zero. Some panicked after the first couple, some zoned out. It pays to listen to the end. 

While we're at it, how long is the 92nd Psalm? 

See end for answers if I remember to insert them 

Happy day everyone, unclasp your head if it applies, the world's full of puzzles. My nephew, the one I taught the macrame bracelet too, was a dab hand when younger at questions. What color is blue? How high is up? You know the sort of thing.



Answers:

Zero.  And a minute and a half. Sez Ted and Big Ursy and Pony and Ursula 





31 comments:

  1. FB is awash with those little math puzzles lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do crossword puzzles each morning as I eat my bowl of cereal. I also like to do the different kinds of Solitaire that I find online. Oh, and I do have a Jeopardy calendar that gives me an answer each morning and I have to think of the question that goes with it. That's enough puzzles for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like quite a lot. I have a favorite solitaire I play before I sleep, very undemanding!

      Delete
  3. In the past, I did crossword puzzles, but math puzzles would be too challenging for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handsome Partner was a keen crossword puzzler, doing the nyt one daily. He'd even check the next day.

      Delete
  4. Not so much math as a trick question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a common sense kind of puzzle. Very little math knowledge needed.

      Delete
  5. It seems my understanding of the number zero is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm. Any number multiplied by zero is zero, likewise any sequence. Unless you're meaning something else.

      Delete
  6. I came home to a garden that has gone wild on me. It will take some work to get it back to what it should be. Right now the lamium has taken over.
    Sorry to hear about your tooth. I hope it's an easy (ish) fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be an expensive fix. But I'm anxious to get it done anyway.

      Delete
  7. I hope the antibiotics arrive soon and you can relax a little.
    Your hibiscus is going to be lovely, but then hibiscus always is. Must go and check mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hibiscus is spectacular. This one has white flowers with a red center. Across the way my neighbors have a red one, vivid.

      Delete
  8. Why take antibiotics before an appointment? I did not know zinnias came in dwarf variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heart valve issue, it's a precaution against infection.

      Delete
  9. Happy that I got the zero before I did too much of the multiplication! We had a physics teacher who used to bark mental arithmetic questions at us in turn - 13 x 11, or 29 ×5 etc to fill in last few minutes before the bell went - scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry for the flooding. We have been so nice yhe past rwo days.
    My daughter made those bracelets when she was in camp.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect hers were good,too! Mine struggle.

      Delete
  11. I have no problem with add, subtract, multiply and divide. The rest of it never clicked with my brain. Surprisingly, I knew the answer is zero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your common sense won out. That works while more literal minded people work all the way through the computation.

      Delete
  12. We're just heading into another heatwave. Yes, Husband had to take antibiotics before the dentist's too. Hope you are sorted soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His situation is much more serious than mine. For years and years before we knew about the valve situation, I never took antibiotics before dental work. Worst comes to worst, I'll risk it. I think it's a tiny risk, but my cardio is protecting his liability!

      Delete
  13. Definitely yes! Take those antibiotics. Quite possibly you'd be fine without them but why test that theory?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a race. If they are delivered, I can get a quick appointment. But if not and the situation deteriorates, different decision. I've been fine without them all my life! The valve is a congenital situation just discovered last year. I think a success rate covering all kinds of dental work over 80 years, that's when second teeth came in, can be taken into account!

      Delete
  14. Oh no. I don’t do math at all. Once they added the Greek alphabet I was done. The only pi I’m interested in is an apple pie
    I’m glad you’re finally getting cooler weather and rain as much as we don’t like it. We need the rain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, on the pi! The weather is such a relief, cool, rainy, soft grey clouds. My little Brit heart is happy.

      Delete
  15. Have you tried the puzzles called Murdoku? The other day, I bought a book of them for Barnes & Noble for my 14-yr-old, to give to him as a gift soon. But they're now fascinating me! I nearly started writing in his book, but then I found they're available online (https://www.murdoku.com). I've had to review the symbols a few times to figure out what the heck is going on, but now I'm finding them so fun for my brain! Have you seen them? Oh, and I'm so sorry about your tooth. My husband had one of his teeth crumble, and it was a very annoying multi-step process to solve the situation, as you already know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great rabbit hole! I went to the website to see what it's about. Hm.
      I had a tooth issue years ago that triggered a crown. Very expensive!

      Delete

Please read the comments before yours and see if your question is already answered!