Sunday, December 17, 2023

Quiche, the Bishop and a Sock

I mentioned I'd given an artwork to the neighbor who visited and who's very happy with it. I managed to find a picture. It's the  left here, entitled The Cellist, stitched on linen, among various other stitchings.


This is a setup I did when I was demoing various fiber arts at the library, this one on goldwork. Bottom right is a slightly crazed photo of me they used to use for promos.

And, speaking of neighbors, I free cycled this giant ceramic planter for Gary, to someone strong enough to lift it.


Yesterday was about cooking a rapid quiche, using three cheeses, sharp cheddar, mozzarella, and feta crumbles. No added salt, plenty in the cheeses. All the rest of the spinach, three eggs.  One slice with a piece of toasted multigrain, pretty good supper. Near Christmas, so it's Cheeses of Nazareth.
 


After which, the Annual Watching of "The Bishop's Wife", the only Christmas movie I like. Especially the skating scene!



Look at that cast. Speaking of which, I cast on a sock, and let's hope this yarn works better for socks than it did for gloves. So far so good.


And here's today's poem, about which I have mixed feelings.
Not a great idea to just endure a season instead of plunging in and seeing what's good about it, but I may be in a minority there, a lot of people being ready to get past the solstice and count the lengthening days.



Happy day, everyone! Whatever length the daylight. Here's a tribute to all Sags everywhere, including Gary and his daughter, much more to my taste.


Cheers!







20 comments:

  1. Your Cheeses of Nazareth quiche looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So simple, and the spinach lends virtue, an added attraction.

      Delete
  2. Your work is impressive. My mother, aunt, and cousin were all members of the Embroiderers Guild of America. I remember goldwork. I haven't seen The Bishop's Wife in ages. Maybe it's time. And, oh, that quiche!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned goldwork in a two-day workshop at the convent I send the gloves and socks to, later taught it to other embroiderers. It's a beautiful form.

      Definitely watch the BW. It does have the faults of its era, but it's cheerful.

      Delete
  3. the quiche looks good and simple. I seem to have lost my motivation for trying new recipes. still trying to get back into the familiar groove since my sister's death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be a while. Okay to stay with the familiar for now, I'd say.

      Delete
  4. Yum quiche! I put spinach on my pizza last night and of course I loved it.
    Carnations are perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like carnations as cut flowers, because they're long lasting. Persistent!

      Delete
  5. Yay for the coming of lengthening days! I cheer the little bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't so much, still enjoying cosy dark evenings.

      Delete
  6. The bishops wife is my all time favorite!!!
    I love that poem Starting Sat our days start getting longer. But the winter has been very mild this year so it not seeming long at all. Jan just days away our coldest month.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the only Christmas movie I really like. I agree about winter, we've hardly begun.

      Delete
  7. We're moldering away here under grey inversion skies and chill grey temperatures, with nary a flake of snow to make us feel wintry. So I'm leaning a bit toward that little bird as well. But my Iraqi friend (NOT a fan of winter) asked if I wanted to go for a walk today, and it was much better to be out in the weather (with soup and cocoa to look forward to) than to look miserably out at it. Plus I was so proud of her for suggesting it. A year ago she couldn't face winter in any form.

    As another Sag, I agree with those carnations! And the Cheese of Nazareth with the virtuous spinach!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, you must email me with your date! I didn't know you were a Sag. We rule! Yes, that's a big step for your friend. No power on earth will get my summer-walking Indian friends out in winter.

      Delete
  8. Cheeses of Nazareth! (chuckling) I took inventory earlier today and have swiss cheese that needs eating, so I put quiche in my head to make this week. That will be a treat. I keep meaning to watch the Bishop's Wife. Thanks for mentioning it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like quiche without a crust, so it's also easier to make. Do watch the Bishop's wife, it's lovely, especially the ghastly hat she's so happy with!

      Delete
  9. Yum - that quiche certainly looks good! I remember the very first time I had quiche was actually in England when I visited my penpal there.
    I have a number of those A-Z books and might even have the goldwork one (despite never having done any myself).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like to try gold work. It could go well in your landscapes.

      Delete
  10. Very nearly the shortest day and then we'll be on the up again. That quiche sounds delicious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good, mainly because of the feta crumbles.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!