Friday, December 22, 2023

Pods and company and freecycling

 Yesterday was full of entertainment. The Pod arrived, after Gary had moved several cars to accommodate the truck. 

But instead of using the space provided, the driver, finding they'd loaded the Pod backwards, stopped at a congested point up the street to unload, drive around, reload and finally after much grumbling, put it in the right parking spot, near the curb, not sticking out as he'd planned. They walk among us.







I was busy roasting a chicken to pick from for several meals


 Shortly after, the Misfits truck arrived



After this interesting tracking message





They haven't had cilantro for a while, so it's great to have it again. I love it in sandwiches, or anywhere, for that dark flavor
Plenty of oatmeal for granola and bread, must bake bread again. I have a recipe for butternut squash cake, so instead of the inevitable soup, some of the squash will go there. 

Then a neighbor, good friend/ contractor /artist /cook stopped in before they leave for Christmas, with home made great treats.


Peppermint bark, Italian almond cakes. And a lovely  catchup time of gossip, during which we reorganized the lives of all the neighbors to our liking.

After that I rested a while just as well, because another friend came by, with Gary, and edible home dipped presents for birthday and Christmas


And she accepted one of the black gesso mixed media artworks! We were both so happy! She narrowed down her choice to three and we talked about them before she went off with Three Sisters, of which I probably have no picture, it  predating cellphone use. And I forgot at the time. I might ask her to send one when it's in place. She's the survivor of three close sisters, so she really likes it.

All in all, a fairly packed Shortest Day. Here's this time a few years ago. Instead of bright sun and dry streets, we had 25" of snow in one day. I live in that purple band


Condo building completely snowed in, nobody in or out for two days until the small cat plows opened up the entrance enough to let people out. Many feet of snow had blown against the building, up to my second floor condo. All in all, I'll take this year.

Happy day, everyone! I hope yours is also full of good entertainment and hilarious neighbors. 







39 comments:

  1. You had a busy day, how nice it would be to have a Misfit truck come with all those good things. And I like Snoopy's look at life..

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like yo've got good, helpful neighbors. That's very important!
    What's the third flag (under Ukraine) you've added?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wonderful neighbors. The flag is the LGBTQIA pride flag, which I fly now and then, as an ally, to honor our blogistas and their family members who identify.

      Delete
  3. Happy first day if winter. How nice to get all those goodies with the wonderful visits. Happy unpacking the pod.
    Merry Christmas
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a day of gifts of all kinds. The Pod is next door, my neighbor planning to move his living room furniture into it till his floor is done. I, happily, have no part in it.

      Delete
  4. I love your neighbours! Maybe to encourage my neighbours to be nice, I should be nice to them! Now's that an idea. Perhaps I could take them some home-made goodies for New Year. Hmm, thinking now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "They walk among us." Hahahahahahaha!
    Indeed they do. Sometimes I am one of them.
    Look at all of those delicious homemade treats! So much love in them. I think I can safely say that you are beloved.
    What are you going to do with those shrimps? Wild, Gulf-caught. I approve!
    You had a very fine solstice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly feel I got plenty of attention! The shrimp, don't know yet. Probably some on pasta I already have cooked in the fridge, I like that combo, fried spicy shrimp with very peppery pasta, feta crumbles.

      Delete
  6. Those treats from the neighbor make my mouth water. And that goody box from Misfits. “Soon” is very useful (not) tracking information. Maybe they meant “Soon you'll never be lonely.... and so on...”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was after several of those 15 minutes, 14 minutes etc messages, probably translates to the driver, a very nice guy, saying what do you want of my life, you never heard of traffic?? Roads still flooded here and there.
      It's not as if there's a tight sell-by deadline!

      Delete
  7. You remind me of an article I read several years ago. A man in his nineties lived in a condo and by the time he died, he had few possessions. One place setting of dishes, a pot, cutlery, casserole dish, kettle, bed, chair. His family had little to dispense with after he passed. Such a great way to let go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a good time to consider what you need, and examine what just built up around you!

      Delete
  8. Wow. Your going to be able to run for days on all that.
    It’s lovely how you all look after each other.
    Thankfully I live in a neighbourhood just like that.
    Rest up and take things easy for a few days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have a similar neighborhood. The short days make resting easier.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. All home made, can't buy them!

      Delete
    2. Homeade for the win!
      Just finished homemade lunch at work.

      Delete
  10. Wow, you're rolling in homemade Christmas goodies! My eyes were drawn to that peppermint bark right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only time I ever eat it. It's lovely.

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. It was excellent, full of good things and people.

      Delete
  12. Endless entertainment next door for sure. I always marvel at how those big trucks can get situated to drop things in small spaces.
    Topping the day off with not one, but two, deliveries of goodies accompanied by visits - yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, entertainment, presents, visitors and art free cycling.

      Delete
  13. Reorganising the lives of neighbours to your liking. What a wonderful way to spend an afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always fun to talk with him. If only people would follow our instructions!

      Delete
  14. You certainly are having a better weather year of it than 2009! Lots of lovelies through the door today; misfits and homemade goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember that 2009 blizzard. We lived in New Jersey then!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a day! I love your neighborhood and that you are surrounded by such interesting, good-hearted people.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I've resisted moving to a retirement community. So dull in comparison!

      Delete
  17. at least the driver of the pod provided entertainment for the neighbors. I'm glad no one is bringing me sweets as I only eat them sparingly since diabetes runs in my family and my husband who has no such problems doesn't need the calories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Snow as you describe is hard to imagine. You must have to always be planning to be well stocked with whatever you may need. No ducking out to the shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty of warning, so you can stock up. And when everything's at a standstill, no need to worry about missing appointments. They're not at work either. We don't get these snowmageddons very often.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!