Monday, December 4, 2023

Freecycling and the circle of life

The art I've been free cycling is part of my end of life planning, as you probably observed, seeing the winnowing around here to make it easier for Handsome Son after I die. The art falls into a different category, though, since free cycling is a way of getting good original art into new homes. 

The latest round went to the same person who took the last group, and we had a great exchange about it. Here are the pieces, from my black gesso, handmade paper and copper wire period.


it's a series of faces, where you can change the narrative by hanging them differently. Here it goes from realistic to abstract. Hung in reverse order, it brings the realistic out of the abstract. 

The recipient is hanging all my art on one wall, very happy with it. This series was bought from an exhibit, and I found the buyer left it to me in their will, so it eventually came back again! I hope it will stay put in its new home. The new owner has been an art docent at MOMA and the local art museum, so, good hands.

I'd far rather my work go out like this than have a  scramble to get it out after I've gone. People might as well be enjoying it. And I have three floors, so the upper stairwell, where these pieces were hanging, isn't a daily view. I won't feel deprived.

I'd offer choices to local friends, but I've found they're very reluctant to take pieces they like because it feels bad, pushing me off the stage! I don't mind, but they feel a bit weird. 

Meanwhile, the Izzy gang is growing


And the Christmas/Thanksgiving cactus is happy


While the rain has finally stopped, after days of downpour, leaving the Japanese maple wearing diamonds


Hard to see here, but a lovely sight. Take my word.

Finally there seems to be enough water in the ground, but I've been frugal with water ever since I learned from Jane Goodall about the lives of women and girls in Africa spending most of their days carrying  water for daily use. Girls can't get to school because they spend hours daily just securing and carrying water.

I don't live where this happens, but I understand why digging wells is important work for incoming helpers in those regions, how life changing it is to have water here, literally on tap. I assume the planet's supply must be finite, so I economize. 

I quit using running water to rinse dishes and wash fruit and vegetables, a bowl uses less,  finally started taking my doctor and a rehab nurse's advice to shower less frequently, and briefly. The showering is about aged, delicate skin, rather than water economy, but it fits into conservation.  I can see from my water bill how it's working.

I'm listening to the audio book of


Where Tey's detective Alan Grant, temporarily out of action from injury, detects a historical puzzle instead of current crime.

It's about the bad rap Richard III, the last Plantagenet king, has had, showing that the depiction of him as a villain is largely based on  hearsay and the writings of a later regime. 

The Tudors, with a tenuous claim to the throne, and much to gain by blackening Plantagenet memory, were the main perps. Shakespeare gleefully fell on the popular myths because -- more dramatic. More clicks. Sounds  familiar in this age of disinformation. And it's surprisingly timely to read this now, when people are still credulous and willing to believe what suits them.  

Happy day everyone, don't believe everything you hear, well, you don't, this is a self selected thoughtful group.






37 comments:

  1. I love "The Daughter of Time" -- I read it several times when I was young. Glad it's still popular enough that it's now in audio book form too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your end-of-life planning. It makes perfect sense to me. Far better for someone who would love and appreciate your art to get it now and enjoy it now than for your son to have one more thing to deal with. When you do it yourself, there is no guessing as to what your wishes would be. We should all take a page from that notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's difficult emotionally, but I think it's worth doing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At this point in my life I usually only shower once or twice a week unless I'm dirty or smelly from working out in the yard. I have lots of my artwork but I think my family members would like to have it. I'll have to canvass the kids and grandkids to see what they might specifically want.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Izzy group are adorable!
    Not a fan of the depiction of Richard III, even before I learned there are Plantagenets on my family tree. I'm not a fan of the Henry VIII hype. It would be so nice for a good branch of history to be more popular than the nasty side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You reminded me of a video I would show to my World Issues students, Water of Ayolé. I t concerns the water issue. It wasn't a new video then, but it is still available on Vimeo all these years later. https://vimeo.com/6281949

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your art is stunning. I do like the Izzy dolls. We are in an atmospheric river. It is storming more than usual here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also been bucketing down in Australia, the Melbourne area, I think. Hm. Thank you for the nice words about the art.

      Delete
  8. I wonder what Shakespeare would have to say about Donald Trump? It's an entertaining thought.

    It's great you're being so generous with your art! And your Christmas cactus is looking good. Ours are pretty much finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if there are trumpesque characters in Shakespeare.

      Delete
  9. Such a great idea with your art, Boud. Spreading the enjoyment to those who appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels good. Better than hanging unseen here.

      Delete
  10. The recipient of these pieces must be over the moon. My mother died in 2020 and it took me 8 months to clear out the house. I do not want to do that to my son. I have been concentrating on the "junk" one acquires and doesn't use or need. I do like the Izzy dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we've done that kind of clearing, we're more considerate of the survivors.

      Delete
  11. I’m so happy your art is going to someone who loves and appreciates it.
    Can’t ask for more than that.
    Water saving is just the norm here. We live on the driest continent on the planet.
    Even if we do get times where we have floods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since we're all connected, I hope my little efforts help you!

      Delete
  12. Having had to clean out both my parents' and in laws' places I admire what you are doing. We also chose to live with less after the experience. And most importantly the things you love the most are going where they will be appreciated. I shudder when I think of what happened to a lot of mother in law's stuff but it was a very difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did your best at a tough time. Can't ask more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm planning on giving my children and grandchildren some of my art (mostly pottery and some clay sculptures) for Christmas. I know they'll groan again quietly behind my back. But there's a lot of it still on my shelves. And the universe must have heard my quandary because tomorrow not just one old friend, but two are going to look through specific things to purchase more! What a fun thing, to not even try to sell them! My thought is when I do die, only one son will probably be able to clean out the apartment and will throw a lot of things away, rather than shipping it to the other two. Of course I may be wrong! Anyway, that's as much as I'm doing at this point in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think at such a fraught time, people feel desperate! It's good to attend to disposal while you can.

      Delete
  15. I disposed of my mother's stuff, and can't wish that on anyone, so I've given it, donated it or dumped it. My life now fits in 400 odd square feet. I quite like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's what you want right now! Good for you.

      Delete
  16. How nice that someone returned those pieces to you in their will. You get to enjoy someone else enjoy owning your art a second time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't pleased that they came back, but glad to see them off again!

      Delete
  17. I am glad your art is getting into the right hands and you hear the feedback back.
    Love your Izzy group.
    In the winter I shower less our air is so dry and my skin gets so dry and cracks
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I keep the shareholders in moisturizer in great shape, because of clinically dry skin.

      Delete
  18. Will definitely have to read The Daughter of Time. Thanks for that. Your freecycling artwork is exceptional! My heart is warmed by your closing line and to be in the company of a thoughtful group. So grateful for the enlightenment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll appreciate D of T. And you're a great part of our thoughtful group!

      Delete
  19. It's good to know others will be enjoying your art for years to come. A kind of immortality. Currently there is a series about Julius Caesar on our tv here. He was the tyrant of all tyrants. Impossible to avoid comparisons with today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting how, the more you learn of history, the more it clarifies what we're living through.

      Delete
  20. I have a horror of leaving too much for our boys to have to deal with, particularly after dealing with my parent's house. They, particularly my mother, were next thing to hoarders over some things and it was a huge chore to deal with it all. I usually spend January downsizing a lot of 'stuff' and have to admit that I started today by going through two bins of fabric and getting rid of odds and sods that I know I will never use. It's hard to part with things and sometimes I regret getting rid of something but overall it's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've ever regretted giving away anything. It's good to downsize routinely.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!