Monday, December 11, 2023

Plant surgery, reading discovery and gloves

 I just found this, now I've put it on my Kindle, and realized the reason I didn't know about it is that it was originally published under her other pen name, Gordon Daviot. It's been reissued under the better known name, but the style is quite different.


So we'll see. No Alan Grant here. Large family, tyrannical religious father, downtrodden mother..




And the gloves are done, ready to go.

While we're talking knitting, take a look at this candy, created by Yolande of the blog Fils et Aiguilles, usually a great embroiderer, but it turns out she knits, too.


If you go to her blog, don't be put off that it starts in French, because she always adds the English translation. Also a third language which I'm not sure, Danish or Dutch. It's a beautiful blog to scroll through in awe. Her  title translates to Needle and Thread.

And yesterday I finally got tired of wrangling this awkward plant, name escapes me, originally brought to me years ago,  as a dumpster rescue by Gary, which I cut into three, giving him one which is doing fine. 

This one was growing long and tall and bending all over, so I cut it back, you see the white stump. Another plant will spring from there. And I just pushed the cut off top, having discarded a long stem, straight back into the pot. Last time I did this, they all flourished, so I hope it happens again. It's better than having it collapse out of the pot, anyway.

On the subject of winnowing, Handsome Son asked what about my plants after I'm gone.  Good thinking. And I realized I don't have to wait that long. They're a lot of work and I don't have energy to burn. 

So I've arranged with the library to pass on the big ones, including the ficus, to them. I'll see them when I want, but they'll care for them. The library  building is all windows, great for plants, and they're keen to build up a collection to make the environment greener. They've taken good care of the begonia I donated. 

 I need to wait for milder weather to do this, so it's a spring plan. No more wrangling the ficus outside again! I've given her fifty years of care, so it's someone else's turn.

Happy day, everyone, and is there something you can hand over and stop wrestling with? Kitties not included.






34 comments:

  1. I had a little inner-giggle at your last sentence wondering about husbands. But then, I'm sure mine would like to hand me over at times for someone else to tend. I can be exhausting.
    I absolutely LOVE your idea about giving your plants to the library! What a wonderful win-win situation! I am pretty sure our library does not accept plants. Dang it!
    I had not even thought about what my kids will do with my plants when I am dead. I guess that it doesn't bother me much. They can adopt them or trash them, whatever they want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I graduated in the 80's (finally on a return at Student over Traditional Age) I had had a wonderful ficus with the twisted trunk...so I gave it to the Library at the University of Florida. I wonder if they kept it healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking. With good care, ficus can be very long lived.

      Delete
  3. The idea was that it would worry him, what to do with them. He's not a plant person, never even sees what I'm growing, but he knows they matter to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This reply was to Mary, blogger inserted another comment.

      Delete
  4. How great that you found a home for the plants. My mother refused to do anything before hand. She expected I would keep everything she had in her huge, 3-bedroom apartment that she had raised three children in and lived in for more than 50 years. It was easier than I expected because I had hardened myself to that reality over the years. I was responsible only to myself. She had her chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She left you a lot of work! I'm glad you were ready.

      Delete
  5. You kept a plant alive for 50 years! I am lucky if they last 50 days. This is a good idea to leave plants to your library. HS is considerate in asking you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The librarian asked for the ficus right off before I even finished my sentence!

      Delete
  6. Donating your big plants to the library -- what an inspired idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is if they're up for it. They started asking this year for plant donations. So I'm following their lead.

      Delete
  7. HS was very thoughtful to ask. I'm especially glad that Ms. Ficus will have a good next home - she's a real personality. You and your library have a great relationship!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's me and the librarian who's my main contact. This is the knitting group library (and knitting librarian)

      Delete
  8. when my sister died we took all her potted plants that no one in the family wanted to the memorial/celebration of her life for friends to take if they wanted. all were taken so that was nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a good idea. Since I have outlived all the friends who would have attended, and the remaining ones are not well enough, it won't apply in my case. So I'm relieving my son of one more chore by doing it ahead.

      Delete
  9. That is a lifetime with the ficus, Boud. Sounds like a good plan though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea. Yes visit frequently but no work is always a big plus
    I look at our huge garden and wonder how many more years we can stay here. I. Sure if the business wasn’t here we would of sold by now and scaled down.
    The though is making me sad now. But reality can be brutal I guess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have time to think about it. You're my son's age, there's time yet.

      Delete
  11. Wise plans. Love the knitting and I know those gloves will be appreciated by the recipient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The short answer to your question about why they came here is...Land...which is no more thanks to overdevelopment and crowding.

      Delete
  12. What a great way of easing the load of plant care. A good thing Handsome Son brought it up. 50 years of caring for a plant? I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to seeing the big plants go to their new home. Ficus are very long lived.

      Delete
  13. Great gloves! Sigh. I love the Tey books but haven't read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite different. Not sure if I like it yet.

      Delete
  14. Long ago I donated the remaining plants. The best fit was the jade tree to the Cleveland Botanical Gardens. I have visited it a couple of times. It looks very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea to donate plants to the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They originally asked for donations, so I gave them a big angelwing begonia a while back, saw how they took great care of it, so I was encouraged to continue.

      Delete
  16. I love that you will get to see them when you want. Groovy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visitation rights! And they're definitely going to care for the plants when the donor might drop in.

      Delete
  17. Lovely that your library wants your plants - that's wonderful! You have a library that's one in a million. Also good that Handsome Son is thoughtful enough to ask your wishes. My mother had a lot of plants and I am sad to say all but one ended up being set on the side of the road free to a good home. Surprisingly, they all disappeared. The only one I kept was a white Christmas cactus that she had dubbed 'The Damned Plant'. She hated white flowers, claiming they were funeral plants. Resident Chef always got her either cut flowers or a plant for Christmas and, knowing full well her aversion to white flowers, bought it for her. She thanked him through gritted teeth and then promptly neglected it. She refused to water it and finally resorted to sticking it in the basement. I'm not sure that my Dad didn't sneakily water it when she wasn't looking, but every year I would get a phone call that would begin with her announcing "You know That Damned Plant...it's blooming again". This went on for years. I, of course, being possessed with a black thumb, managed to kill it within a matter of months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your mom sounds like quite a personality! Once I've disposed of the big plants, I'll keep small ones, easier to dispose of later.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!