Tuesday, December 26, 2023

Christmas present and past

We had a lovely day, thank you all for your good wishes. 

Our dinner was a joint affair, Handsome Son bringing ham, roast potatoes, ginger ale, crackers, eggnog, plus home baked cookies from his co worker, sent for me! Joined with the  cheese, vegetables and cranberry sauce, and the many edible gifts around here, we did very well. Also pots of tea.

After he left, I slept quite a while.

One Christmas Day when he was quite young, we took him to the reenactment of General Washington crossing the Delaware, on Christmas Night, 1776,  only about 45 minutes from here, figuring that every American should see this at least once,  to pay our respects.

If you're not familiar with one of New Jersey's main claims to fame, read on



And, credit where it's due, here's the militia group that did the heavy lifting of getting Washington's Durham boat  across a wild river in a snowstorm.   Many other boats were also commandeered to get the army across.

Nowadays the  reenactment is done in daylight, and only weather permitting!

The scene of the Battle of Princeton is about a 15  minute drive, from here, well known locally. Inger and Steve, I expect you're familiar with it. New Jersey is full of historic places where battles were fought, and when I had Brit guests, I'd take them around to all these places where we  were hammered yet again and got our little red coats all dirty. 

And here's a Christmas wish from my friends including dog Jennie, who among many good social works, knit in their rec. time, well, Jennie helps, and include my socks and gloves in their knitted offerings to the County outreach which cares for homeless people.

I particularly like that a community dressed in black and white has a black and white dog and cat. Harmony.

Third from left is Sister Monica, my knitting contact person, and second from right Sister Suzanne Elizabeth, who arranged the goldwork embroidery workshop a few years ago which changed the direction of my artwork. Much to thank them for. They're all stars in their professions, aside from being nuns, scholars, social workers, a force for good. 

My reading is also historic. I finally got around to Crome Yellow, Aldous Huxley's first, much quoted and referenced, novel. It's a satire on the mores of his time, full of real people and places, disguised and fooling nobody.

It's pretty heavy going, doesn't hold a candle to his later brilliant essays. I think, once again, that the early twentieth century English canon is full of works written and published by a tiny group of people with great social standing and privilege. I doubt if they'd make it in a competitive modern publishing world. Mitford, Forster, Waugh, Greene, readable, but I don't think the same works by writers without their access would have been accepted. 

I'm always a bit sceptical about "classics" for this reason. Some, such as Middlemarch, A La Recherche,  all of Austen, are certainly works of genius, but there's a lot we needn't get all excited about. 

Even the great Shakespeare was best in the tragedies and histories. His comedies are just plain unfunny, the tedious old Falstaff clunking about, usually overacted, probably good in their time in a different environment, different audience.

On a cheerier note, here's a little bouquet, courtesy of Emma Mitchell. 


Happy day everyone! Enjoy your day despite grouchy bloggers!

There's usually some kind of little bouquet to be found.









34 comments:

  1. In times like these, I almost wish that the outcome had been different. Now that would be an alternative history to consider. If only we can by this ridiculous present, maybe all will be well again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think being a colony of today's Britain would be better?? Strong doubt here.

      Delete
  2. That's something to be proud of, New Jersey saving the Revolution. I totally agree with you on Shakespeare and comedy. It probably is suited to the time and doesn't carry on well. It sounds like you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you about the classics. A few works of genius and a lotta crap. The literate class was so small then, there was virtually no competition. Nowadays everyone is literate and talented writers can't get published because there's just too many of them. I also endorse your view of Shakespeare -- I too think his comedies are overrated and Falstaff is tedious and overacted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, preaching to the choir here. I thought I might get pushback.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear. Am I the grouchy blogger? I know I AM a grouchy blogger.
    I do love tiny bouquets, though. Always have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the grouch I had in mind was me!

      Delete
    2. See- I didn't even perceive you as being grouchy.

      Delete
  5. No grouches here though one is wounded and ordering Vitamin E for skin and the other is quietly eating her lunch. In bed and elevated for now. I hope you can enjoy what remains of today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that little bouquet! Happy day. I wonder if there are any reenactments of “Washington slept here.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma has a lot of mental and neuro issues and uses flowers as a calming mechanism. She's also a brain researcher, so when she publishes images like this, they're very welcome. She knows her stuff.

      Delete
    2. Not reenactments (!) but various homesteads locally he's reputed to have stayed in, farm in Rocky Hill, barracks in (now) Western Princeton. Some a bit far fetched, like the hundreds of beds Elizabeth I slept in!

      Delete
    3. Can you imagine going from town to town and visiting Imitation Washingtons in all those beds?

      Delete
  7. Glad the day went well and OMG, those teeny tiny flowers.
    I just wanna shoot them with my new close-up lens.
    Here's to a rocking 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you get a close up lens, nothing is safe from you! Have fun with it.

      Delete
    2. So true. I love my current macro because it gets up super duper close. I still though wanted another kind. This one, not a true macro though gets close. Very fun. Happy 2024!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a lovely day. Interesting facts about Trenton and New Jersey. They don't get mentioned in the Stephanie Plum novels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she mentions route 29, it's on the way to Washington's Crossing, if she mentions the War memorial, it's near the Hessian barracks. Just sayin

      Delete
  9. So happy you had a lovely day.
    Family is what’s important. Not the food or the decorations
    I have to admit. I’m glad it’s just once a year though. I’m totally exhausted lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did put on a big deal, though! So now just lie around enjoying it. You're such a good grandma.

      Delete
  10. Did you know Emma is now publishing a journal? I mean the kind other people buy and write in, but containing content based on her previous book/photography. I hope it does really well for her - she's had a toughish go in the past year - and of course I hope it's magic for everyone who gets one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a relief to read that you think the same about certain "classics". I thought I was just being a bit of a cultural heathen.
    Your little bouquet is priceless. I have a wee blue vase like yours. I hope I can find it when I finally unpack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you feel validated! Never doubt your own taste. The little vase belongs to the lovely Emma Mitchell.

      Delete
  12. The Battle of Trenton and the Battle of Yorktown! The two greatest battles of the Revolutionary War. And then it was our problem to govern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may have bitten off more than we can currently chew.

      Delete
  13. I'm one of probably very few people who doesn't appreciate Shakespeare. Most of it makes absolutely no sense. Having said that, I've never seen any of it performed live and perhaps that would make a difference. Can't say as I'm a huge fan of the so-called 'classics' either and I know I should be ashamed of that. Also have a hard time with most of the New York Times best sellers list. It seems that any I've tried, after reading rave reviews, leave me wondering what all the fuss is about.
    Glad your celebration came off as planned and it sounds as though the menu was wonderful. A long nap afterwards is a good thing as well.
    And thank you for sharing the wee bouquet with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the classics are pushed on us at school, too young, and we get put off. Shakespeare live by actors who know how, is wonderful. Mostly though, it's gabbled by people trying to get it all fitted in. And it was never meant to be read in print.
      Stick with your own taste! Don't let the artificial nyt lists bother you!

      Delete
  14. glad you had a lovely day and what a sweet little bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm saving that image of the bouquet. It's lovely to look at.

      Delete
  15. It sounds like you had a special day. I love that bouquet and the photo of the nuns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a bunch of cut ups! When they're not working at valuable projects.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!