Saturday, December 30, 2023

Chili and other good ideas

Yesterday afternoon was spent on the Making of the Firefighter Chili. Here's where the recipe is to be found


They give the recipe for a huge crowd, hence the men stirring a  vat, but they do give a column for the family size, too





And here are the spices, looking and smelling wonderful, right before they joined the onions and garlic and ground turkey then tomato paste in the pot. After this the tomatoes and the broth and they use cornmeal, I use chickpea flour, for thickening.

This recipe is really a journey of scents and textures. It takes a couple of hours, start to bowl, and makes about six big helpings.




Scallions and grated cheddar on top. It's a great recipe, very recommended. It's hot, and I sneeze and tear up and thoroughly enjoy it. 

 The mail brought this nice material from the Arbor Day people, with questionnaire about trees and prizes. 


Yes, it's a fundraiser.  I think the foundation may be past its day now, what with HOAs and cities making tree decisions, however you see I did use the bookmark right away in my WCK cookbook. I think bookmarks too are a bit of a relic, though I have quite a few.

And since I recently tossed out the squirrels'  favorite, butternut squash seeds, it was only a short time before they showed up to fight over them, this one playing King of the hill



While I'm waiting for Yellowface, another library selection came in, which I confused with another writer, thanks, Sue.


This one stunned me by opening in a location a few miles from here, at a Jewish funeral, before moving to Manhattan, Brooklyn and Ithaca in the course of the narrative. 

The central figures, officially narrated by a fourth, later child, but really an omniscient narrator,  are in vitro triplets from a wealthy family.  They feel no connection with each other, attributing it, dubiously, I think, to their petri dish start. There's their wildly wealthy art collector father,  and complications of Cornell, (hence Ithaca, for non American readers, its location), sexual orientation,  infidelity, issues of art as experience and as commodity, and wait,  there's more.. 

Paintings also show up as characters, by Brice Marsden, Cy Twombly and others of the time, real ones in the fictional collection, with roles in the story. There's also what used to be known snobbishly as Outsider Art, understood by the collector,  but seen as puzzling lucrative commodities by the art world's insider dealers and agents. 

It's the art of untrained people, often with religious significance, sometimes in the throes of mental illness, often stunning in effect, but there's the, well grounded, I think, fear of artist exploitation by the art establishment.  Anyway this book has a lot to say,  in an accessible, unselfconscious style, and I'm finding it gripping. Its narrative is full of real toads in imaginary gardens.

Since New Year's Eve is almost upon us, when we're all supposed to wear hats, blow horns and generally get all partied up, or feel envious/guilty if we don't,  I thought you'd like this absolution


Simple pleasures for simple folk. Happy day,  everyone, enjoy the weekend with your version of reading, food, or hats and horns.







37 comments:

  1. Your chili looked so good, Boud, and now I am thinking how long it has been since it was made and enjoyed in our home, thanks for the menu idea. Scallions and grated cheese on top always and dollop of sour cream for us. I also read the Latecomer although I did not enjoy it as much as the author's previous book, The Plot, and wondered if you had also read that one? if not, I would recommend it as I felt the story line was better and certainly caught me by surprise, so I say NO more.

    Thank you for your posts this past year and also for becoming a blog friend to Jon. The outreach of so many bloggers has been wonderful to his recovery, I am sure. Sending best wishes, always, to you and especially for a great 2024 (for all of us).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, and thanks for the book note. I'm glad you put me in touch with Jon, such an interesting man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Latecomer" sounds very intriguing. I think a better term nowadays for "outsider art" is "intuitive art." It does sound less judgey or condescending, although "outsider art" does convey the art's non-establishment vibe. "Folk art" is a good term too for a certain style of creations. It's hard to know what to call such art, although I suppose we could just call it "art" like everything else without the need to establish categories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that labels are unnecessary. It's the art establishment which applies them, not artists. They just make art!

      Delete
  4. I read that book and had completely forgotten about it. And so it goes for my mind these days.
    All of those weird things that make you happy as an adult make me happy. Guess I'm an adult. As if I didn't know by the excitement I feel about getting a new ironing board cover.
    Enjoy your chili!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put a hold on Yellowface yesterday. There is a 22 week hold. I guess it's popular! I think I'll make chili, I've got ground pork thawing. It's finally starting to become winter and chili sounds good. I haven't had NYE plans for decades and that is a-okay by me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure this is any relation to Helene Hanff as she died years ago with no children. Sorry to be picky!
    Happy reading in 2024

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked, and I seem to have confused two writers, so I've made the correction. Thank you. Children aren't relevant -- it's fiction, not autobiography.

      Delete
  7. I have a collection of bookmarks. I pick up a new one at the library every now and then. I have had favorite ones that I use over and over, not from the library, like the bark strip from a tree in Hawai'i or the one I got in Portugal printed with one of the gorgeous tile murals over there but eventually they disappear either lost in the house somewhere or I forget to remove it from the book when I return it to the library.

    I made the shepherd's pie last night, enough for three meals for two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've accidentally presented lucky readers with some great bookmarks when I've free cycled. The library is careful to remove bookmarks and they have a box of found objects at the checkout, including photographs, bookmarks, weird objects. Anything identifiable they get in touch with the owner.

      Delete
  8. I have never heard of that book or that author. So thanks for introducing me to her! I think the Charing Cross Road book, though, was written by someone else -- Helene Hanff. (If it's "84 Charing Cross Road" that you mean.)

    Perhaps Helene Hanff and Jean Hanff Korelitz are somehow related but I can't find any evidence of that. Hmmm...

    ANYWAY, I hope people are still paying attention to Arbor Day. We need all the trees we can get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're right, and I've corrected it, thank you. She's a good find, though.

      In NJ we're definitely all treed up! So I think we're on it. The ag department has done a terrific job in native trees, distributing saplings and maintaining forests.

      Delete
  9. The dish looks good. Does 'firefighter' means that it us very hot? We don't do hot and spicy very well in this house. I can tolerate a bit of heat, but Sue pretty ell makes do with salt and not even pepper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's chili popular among firefighters, in fact. It may be out of your range for spicy though.

      Delete
  10. The book sounds fascinating and unusual. Thanks! Regarding “Weird Things That Make You Happy...”, six out of six!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I laughed at the cartoon about canceled plans. Too funny.
    To me, art is art. Doesn't matter who creates it. Or what their background is.
    Art is art to me. It's all fun. I do what's called low art. Cartoons are considered low art and I freakin' love cartoons. Cheers and Happy 2024!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like avoiding labeling. It's to no purpose, really.

      Delete
    2. I like avoiding labeling. It's to no purpose, really.

      Delete
    3. I get that. Some I don't mind. Low art is to me, not a bad statement or label. It's the same as high art. Not bad or good. Just the genre. Doesn't bother me either way with those. Though for myself, the genre of high art holds little interest. I'm more about Snoopy and Calvin than high art.

      Delete
  12. I resemble all those. Except I no longer have a dryer. Got rid of it once my babies were out of nappies, diapers.
    But while I did have it. I loved cleaning the filter lol
    Happy new year to you. I’ll probably do what I always do and be in bed way before midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been awake at midnight in years. This is a neighborhood where people aren't used to Western New Year, so there's no banging of saucepans or sounding car horns . I grew up near a deep water port, so you'd hear massive ships sounding their horns or whatever they are,at midnight.

      Delete
  13. I would love that HOT meal, it looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great the second day, too, all the flavors blended and the edge off the heat.

      Delete
  14. We had chili as soup just last week. It's the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I'm betting they held back a bit on the spices, a lot of people have trouble digesting them, usual group cooking precautions.

      Delete
  15. I need to make a less spicy chili soon...it does sound delicious. Today I had some crab bisque which was marvelous (at a local restaurant) and unlike clam chowder, didn't have a single potato in it. That was my seasonal warm dish today. Yes, second days are always better for stews and soups. Hope you have a great 2024 ahead. Thanks for your chats here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for showing up and taking part, Barbara. You always contribute something interesting.

      Delete
  16. I love chili but a mild version we are wimps I guess.
    I do love a good pen and clean sheets.
    Happy new year
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  17. I imagine chili will be on the menu once we eat up the turkey and the New Year's lasagna. Not overly spicy for me though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!