Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Pre-Tday

Today I'm roasting the turkey breast, turning the (canned this year) cranberry sauce out into a favorite dish, finding the cooked sweet potato in the freezer, searching for the red tablecloth, seeking out the serving dishes, remembering how many handy pie dishes are now plant saucers, and wondering yet again how come cooking for two should entail as much chaos as for ten. And yet it does.  I've become that old lady who lays the table the day before!




It's nice to use the Shawnee corn dishes, the Paden City platters, the other ones whose name I forget, the cheese board, all American as can be.

And this is only the main course. Handsome Son is in charge of drinks, crackers and cheese, and pie of his choice, almost certainly pumpkin, and the required cream. That all comes with him tomorrow.

In times like this, read a bit of history and we realize they're not really all that unusual, it's good to find things to be thankful for. And let's not do shabby comparisons. I'm not impressed by a person feeling better because others have it worse. 

But I am thankful for our good humored blogistas, now joined I see, by a couple of blogistos, welcome gennumen, for Handsome Son, local and loyal, nice neighbors, ability to walk the neighborhood daily, roof over head, solvency, so much.

And for the generous talent of Maggie Rudy, whose Thanksgiving wish I send you here






10 comments:

  1. Yes, grateful for much...I'm not homeless, I'm not hungry, I'm not sick, my companion is still with me, my family, my friends physical and virtual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving, and enjoy your feast! It sounds de-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even in difficult times, we have so much to be grateful for. Your special meal sounds wonderful. Enjoy the day and your special handsome son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you- there is no grace in feeling better about oneself or situation by comparison to others "less fortunate." My gratitude is for what I have and not that it's "better" than what others have.
    My grandmother and grandfather used to set the table every night for their breakfast the following morning. I never could figure that out but before a fancy feast, it makes sense.
    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. same here. We may not see our last remaining relatives at this point, but we all are aware of each other, and as his cousin said last year around this time, "by the time we do get together again we will all need name tags..." he was only half joking.
    We have our health, our booster shots, our ability to still wander into and out of trouble without too much collateral damage, and the cats are okay.
    Enjoy your dinner with your son.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We don't lay the table the day before, but we have cooked the turkey one or two days before for many years. It warms up just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much to be thankful for - and Field and Fen and its community of commenters is one of them!

    I'm now one of those "set the table in the morning" folks (overnight is asking for disaster or at least dog hair). Get that chore checked off before settling in for the fussier jobs.

    Happy Thanksgiving, dear Boud! And a hug to your Handsome Son!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am thankful to be well and to have people in my life who care. I've lost a couple of friends and it really brings home who and what is important. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your son.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a most excellent meal and done without the hostess having to slave over a hot stove the entire day. I'm all for potlucks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!