Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Felting, skirting

While I'm thinking about the current figure, I'm realizing that the woven and knitted skirt I plan can just as well be felted and knitted. Or possibly woven and felted and knitted. I can decide as I go.

This is how, borrowing massively from Sarah Swett and her Sarah dippity skirt, shown here in progress.

Straight panels, she wove these, with knitted alternating wedges for shaping and drape. This is where I'm thinking about brioche stitch, a nice rib. Possibly.

So I'm looking at this roving for felting a test panel


Various ideas there on paper. At first I was thinking two main panels, two sides knitted wedges. But when I took a look at Sarah's idea, I liked four panels better. 

So here's the panel template, 9×21.5", need to felt four of these. Or weave a couple. The knitted sections I'll attend to later. I plan on making a paper template for them, too, to knit to shape.

It will be a button closing, so I think Dorset buttons might be good, and it's a while since I made any.

Here's my highly technical felting gear

largely from my recycling, with the endlessly handy dowel which rolls out items to crush them, unjams the disposall, and now will be handy to roll roving into felt.

I've seen some very posh setups on YouTube, studios, special tools, specially invented technical terms. But it's really a pretty simple procedure, mainly needing endless rolling to get the fibers working together.

Tomorrow is my Covid booster, after which I might possibly not be up to rolling for a couple of days, we'll see. Despite the recent biopsy, I think I'll go ahead with it, since if I need work done, better have the complete set of vaxxes ahead of maybe being in a same day surgery place.

7 comments:

  1. If you feel like I have today after my booster, you'll sleep through Thursday. This has been rough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorset buttons! Love them after watching a PBS show, Quilting Arts, demonstrating how to make them. Your skirt gives me ideas because I rather like the unfinished seams showing in a paneled skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads-up Mary. I'm hoping not to hear too soon from the dermatologist office, so I can be more ready for whatever they're going to tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salty P, if the rough stage of the skirt gives you ideas, I expect Sarah Swett would be so happy. She loves people to take the idea and go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your projects always fascinate me, Boud. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A skirt with all those panels? I bow to your sewing expertise my friend because that would be way beyond my meagre capabilities.
    Booster shots are just now becoming available in Ontario, for now only for those 70 and up and having had their initial 2nd shots over 6 months ago. Resident Chef will have to wait until January to get his even though he's in the right age group. No clue when the boosters for my age will come available.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here they're available to I think 65 and older, people in front facing jobs and anyone who had the j and j.

    So handsome Son is scheduled for next week, being a j and j recipient. There's a six month time lapse required for a couple of vaxes, it's a bit complicated.
    But it's so much easier to get than the earlier vax, a few minutes online and I looked up the dose -- booster is half the original vax.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!