Sunday, November 28, 2021

Mt Clemens Pottery Co and other homegrown arts

Those dishes I referred to over Thanksgiving, I finally did some research. They're from the Petal line of Mt Clemens Pottery, probably from the 1930s.  

The pottery was founded in 1915 by local businessmen to boost the Mt  Clemens, Michigan, economy. Did well for quite a while, bought out McCoy Pottery eventually. It finally closed in the 1980s, after a series of buyouts, takeovers, and legal struggles overcame it.



These are vintage, not antique,  inexpensive for collectors, and, I like to use them all the time. 

The other smaller dishes, are Paden City Pottery. This was another investment venture, three farms in West Virginia bought in the early 20th century to create a new city, named Paden City, where the first business was the pottery, founded in 1914.


It ran until 1963, after producing art pottery, very popular at that time, as well as dinnerware.

And there's my favorite Shawnee Corn design bowls, very good humored. I served the corn and peas in them.



Shawnee pottery, in Zanesville Ohio, also home of McCoy pottery, was founded in 1937, a relative latecomer among Midwestern potteries. I can attest to how sturdy these bowls are, having survived nearly fifty years in my hands.

The early twentieth century saw a lot of growth in pottery and other ceramics, ranging from the wonderful Newcomb Pottery, of Newcomb College, now part of Tulane University. providing art related training  to women, 

This piece is in the Metropolitan Museum

and Rookwood Pottery of Cincinnati, producing art pottery now commanding five figures at auction.



Enough raw info for you to do a bit of detective work if you're in the mood. The Arabic numbers are not dates, they refer to catalog design numbers.

My little collection of Rookwood pieces. You can detect their age from the number of flames on the stamp, among other features, such as shape, glaze and surface design. 

The turquoise and cream piece is probably influenced by the design of Shirayamadani, a famous Rookwood creator and master potter. Not his work, but it has features he would like. It's a wonderful glaze combo, high gloss like water on top, matte and velvety to the touch on the pedestal.

The green vase is art nouveau style, with a wonderful soft glaze, and the yellow one has raised relief figures and a higher glaze in a soft color, which you want to keep looking at. 

Theseus are minor pieces, beautiful, not museum quality. Rookwood lasted from 1880 to 1967, and was revived in 2004. My pieces date back to 1914 and thereabouts.

These brief notes are just about a few Midwestern and southern potteries.  But NJ, Trenton, my neighboring city, has a whole social history of its own,  pottery, immigration, skulduggery, economics,  natural resources all connected. For another time.

I used to teach antique recognition  in adult school back in the day, so that my students could have the pleasure of learning to recognize good stuff when they saw it at fleamarkets and garage sales, like detectives.  Anyone can buy at auction after someone else has has the fun of finding and identifying. But it's much more fun to be them! 

I also had collectors in other regions of the country where the pickings are much slimmer, who would happily buy from me. They knew my identification would stand up, and would buy based on my written description and guarantee. This was before digital cameras, very horse and buggy. Another time I'll tell you some stories about my life in the antique world.

Meanwhile my evening is going to crime



12 comments:

  1. I know nothing about pottery, but I love Rumpole of the Bailey! I read all the books and watched the entire series -- in fact, I have it on DVDs. Leo McKern was brilliant in that role. And because they were written by a lawyer, John Mortimer, the law is accurately stated for that time period. NOT the case in most crime/courtroom dramas, alas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. It's the ultimate compliment when a lawyer approves! I think Leo McKern was perfectly cast. His daughter also played an up and coming lawyer in chambers, too. Hard to believe he suffered agonizing stage fright all his career. He makes it look so natural.

    If you read this post you know several things about pottery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so enjoyed seeing all of your beautiful pottery! My Grandmother had a set of dishes like your first picture and it immediately took me back to her home. I grew up with great love and respect for pottery like yours and others as well. As a child we lived in a small town in Arkansas that had a popular pottery company, Camark Pottery. They made and sold it all there and I remember many trips with my Mother to see their art pieces. Pottery like yours is so classic and not seen much these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Now I have to look up Camark pottery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your pottery! Just when I think there is nothing more that you could possibly have a thorough knowledge of, you surprise me with another!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it's the result of being old and nosy! And thanks to Bonnie, I know about Camark pottery

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, it has been years since I' e seen Rumpole on PBS. The small oval plates are my favorite. They hold small meals well, no off the edges food issues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I worked Saturdays at the antique store here in town for five years. And of course my sister and I go to estate sales where we would scout for things for the store (she worked there too during the week). We would call the owner if we saw something good. MeCall pottery was a usual find. The price has fluctuated, not getting as high a price now as it has in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, McCoy. My fingers don't always follow my brain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love vintage pottery. I use mine - Red Wing Magnolia 1930-1940 - every day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are so many different pottery creators and so many of them are regional in nature. One of my absolute treasures is a small Moorcroft pottery vase that I picked up at a yard sale for 25 cents. I wish I could afford to collect more but it's way out of my pin money account.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!