Monday, November 29, 2021

N88TFL

That's the number plate of the Two Fat Ladies motorcycle and sidecar, on which they drove all over the UK and to other countries, in the course of their cooking/tourist TV show.


They got the plate because Two Fat Ladies  is  bingo slang for number 88! And  TFL are the initials of their show. Never missed a chance at a joke. They've long been gathered to their ancestors but we can still see their four seasons on YouTube.

They're worth revisiting for the comedy alone, and  their reminiscences of their wildly colorful and well connected lives, into which cooking appeared quite late. And nsfw humor which got past the  censors, and goes over a lot of heads, judging from the YouTube puzzled comments.

Their food is rich, expensive and uses only the best. They leap in a fishing boat to get their fresh catch, pick mussels from rocks, go game shooting, ew, and cook for a wide range of diners, unlimited budget.

Pony clubs, the Cambridge rowing eight, the clergy of Westminster cathedral, a boy scout camp, a Welsh male voice choir, there's no end to the locations. And the views on their way there, make you want to go there.

I watch them, scions of the one percent, the way Mary watches a TV series about California real estate glamor types. Another world, fun to see, but really anthropology. There's interesting cooking, though, because they really are professional experts.

Just watched them cooking for barristers at Lincoln's inn, Rumpole's stamping ground in fiction, Clarissa's in real life. She was a celebrated and very young barrister, various things happened and she became a private chef.

Just seemed a good sequel to watching Rumpole. 





For the barristers, they make among other things, beef Wellington (named for the NZ city) or beef en croute, or what they say, beef in pastry!

Loads of fun. I note their vegetable and fruit cooking mainly,  their fish being different varieties from what's available to me. They also grandly refer you to your butcher to discuss cuts of meat. I don't think that's in my world. Nor references to titled neighbors -- on the next estate!

I get some great ideas to adapt, though and pick up tips and reminders. Also they're funny, worth the price of admission.

So that's keeping up my scattered spirits, what with the upcoming surgery, next week, a new plumbing issue which is more complex than I thought and may mean an expensive replacement, and continuing issues with the newly installed light. 

These too shall pass. It's the meantime that's the bother, as always.

10 comments:

  1. I absolutely ADORED the Two Fat Ladies when their cooking show was on TV! (Here in Canada, the CBC carried it -- our state equivalent of the BBC). But I didn't know the bingo origin of their name -- that's TOO funny! I loved Jennifer's motorcycle and Clarissa the lawyer, but don't know a lot of their backstories. And their extravagant, over-the-top cooking! Everything seemed to be made with pounds of butter, lots of cream and wrapped in bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer: I love a big jug of Irish cream! When they were at the Irish convent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CBC is the equivalent to Murcans of public broadcasting. PBS and members.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not familiar with the Two Fat Ladies but they sound hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear that your plumbing problems will be complicated and expensive but you've chosen some pretty interesting characters from YouTube!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to watch Two Fat Ladies. I don't think I've ever seen an episode but I've been aware of them. I suppose they've been on my subconscious buckt-list if there is such a thing.
    I don't usually watch that show about the Real Estate Barbies. I just saw my first episodes yesterday while I was mending. It tickled me to see such unrealistic scenarios with such unrealistic women.
    And as to your last paragraph- I always think of Tom Petty's song- "The Waiting is the Hardest Part."
    It truly is.
    May all go well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, CBC is like PBS in that it is publicly owned, not a private for-profit broadcaster, but it is paid for by our tax dollars, not by individual memberships, grants and fundraising pledges.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plumbing problems are the worst and the worst part of being a homeowner. My neighbor just had all new pipes put in in the attic since the ones that came with house were imbedded in the slab and gave them no end of trouble, had the plumbers out every other month it seemed. I hope yours are resolved quickly.

    I just don't watch much TV. I'd rather read and sometimes barely have time for that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've only watched one or two episodes by the Two Fat Ladies and I remember thinking they were great fun, but I didn't much care of the name of the show. I think they could have hit upon something a little less disparaging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was their idea! Taking back control of the word.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!