Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Figures five and six, and the next fun thing.

So the figures have changed dramatically from the human type shapes where this started. I  went with what seemed called for, after trying many ideas.



This is a two sided piece, showing you here both sides. I need to make a stand for it. A bit more might happen after I've looked at it a day or two, but maybe not.

This definitely needs to be exhibited where you can see both sides behind glass. Which, if  my plans work out, it will be. I also need to name it.  I have several thoughts about this. They'll probably work out once it's set on its stand. And the name will make the meaning clearer. The plan! Reactions welcome as always.

Next, another project I remembered, in the course of finishing the latest figures.

This is a piece of, well, if you know fabrics, you know it's linen, lovely piece from Dharma trading. I dyed it years ago with turmeric and yellow onionskins. It's variegated, interesting, not the dull solid color of synthetic dyes, which are good sometimes, not here. In real life it's a deeper color than here. The white LED overhead light washed it out a bit.

It's a portiere from the upstairs bathroom where I took the doors off the base cabinet. Cat owners, or staff, need no explanation. I have another one in the downstairs bathroom, waiting to be dyed. That will empty out a section of the freezer where my containers of natural dyes live.

Finally I'm going to do the stamping on this one that I've been meaning to do for nemmind how long.

And here's the doings. 


 I carved these stamps from plastic erasers and other materials. The great thing about carving erasers, aside from their being just the right texture, is that you  can draw your design and carve on both sides. 

I do seem to have a thing about two sided items. At about eleven o'clock there, you can see part of an eraser drawn but not yet carved 

I've used all kinds of sources for design ideas, a cross section of the inside of a deer's nose being a favorite, and a satellite picture of the tributaries of the Mississippi River another. Sometimes I draw then carve, sometimes I carve freehand. Whatever floats my boat at the time.

A pencil and a small Xacto blade, size 3"×2" plastic eraser,  is all you need. Try it, it's really fun. Much more interesting designs than laser cut rubber stamps which to my mind, are too full of anxious details. But that's me. 

The white plastic erasers are what you need. The pink ones don't carve -- the blade bounces off and buries itself in the thumb holding the eraser, ask me how I know this.

And after humming happily and rummaging through the collection, I selected some for decorating the linen piece.  

Also some metallic acrylic paint. Totally washable, in fact if you get acrylic paint in the wrong place, you'll never shift it. 

And it doesn't matter that it won't be as soft as fabric paint would be, for this purpose. You can see I've used it quite a bit with these stamps. You need to wash it promptly after stamping so you get the paint out of the grooves before it dries permanently in place.


I'll probably use only one or two stamps, repeat pattern, in practice.

It's enough fabric for a summer skirt which, who knows, it might eventually become.

So that's the current State of the Studio chez Boud.

13 comments:

  1. Lots of busyness going on, here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you just slide art into every part of your life. You are inspiring. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. It seems to slide in of its own accord.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've made quite a collection of stamps there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carving stamps is the one potato chip of art

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you stamps too. Reminds me of long-ago art classes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. "a cross section of the inside of a deer's nose" - I was about to say "Only you, Boud", but then I thought, "No, this is the way an artist's mind works".

    When my siblings and I were very young, every year an art teacher friend of the family would come and stay for a few days, and keep our holiday-dazzled minds occupied with a different project. One year paper quilling, another year potato stamps, another year chip carving. It didn't turn me into an artist, but is a treasured memory. Eraser stamps would have fit right in. And - it's not too late!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can still try your hand at eraser carving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You never fail to amaze me, Boud. I look forward to your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much interesting going on inside your head and coming out through your fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah,a lot of activity there. Some of it useful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A cross section of the inside of a deer's nose - well, I have to say I've never gotten close enough to inspect such, but I'm sure it must be inspiring.
    Eraser carving - I remember doing that in grade school but haven't revisited the art since.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!