Monday, November 15, 2021

Art in progress ginger and Gilliangladrag

It seems that Figure Six has pushed in so insistently that it will be part of Figure Five.

Here's the confusing state of affairs as of now.


This old piece, from my black gesso and copper wire adventures, has had its time on exhibit, was in fact bought and eventually left to me.

The molded paper face needs a new context.

And the back of this piece is going to be one side of the two sided  next figure. As you see, moving away from literal figures now.


This is what's happening here. Painting and drawing happening before the stitched head is set on this background with more molded paper parts. 

This is a happy find. In the course of searching for appropriate parts for this piece, I came across this nonskid green stuff. I've been needing it for sheet felting and couldn't think where I'd last used it. Playing music, it seems, since it was in the drawer of recorder parts.

Felting may be involved in this piece, so it's not an irrelevant find.

Speaking of what's not irrelevant, here's a cheerful, excellent teacher of felting and a lot of other art  and craft skills, I found on YouTube. Of course. 

Gillian Harris, doing business as, DBA, Gillian Gladrag. She's been a graphic artist for years, knows her stuff, and applies srt and color principles to feltmaking, without seeming to push. She's also funny. Her husband does the camera work and crosstalk, and they're quite a duo.



Definitely recommend for info with comedic value. She does a lot of selling in the tutorials, in context.

Back in the world of growing food, my neighbor a while back gave me a couple of bare root ginger plants a bit more advanced than mine.

I potted them, grew them on until the foliage wilted, then harvested them. As you see


One root I replanted to grow on, and the rest I peeled and diced for future food.

I noticed how easy it was to peel and dice than the bought kind, which has probably dried a bit before we get it. The flavor is very good, more interesting than the other.

So I'm hoping I can grow my own indefinitely. The one I started, still growing nicely, will be ready to harvest as the newly planted one gets under way 

At least, as always in art and food and life, that's the plan!

13 comments:

  1. The bearded head is stitched? How did I miss that? Is all ginger edible or does it have to be a particular type. I have 5 different types of ginger growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about all varieties of Ginger. I've grown from the definitely edible ginger from Misfits or the local grocery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve never known of anyone growing ginger! Fascinating. Bet it is far better than the store bought stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got a ginger root that is sprouting. I do not have one spare pot. Well, I could use a plastic one like you get from a nursery. OR, I could plant it in the ground, probably forget where it is, and when it comes up next year (if it does) wonder what in hell THAT is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving all this, but time for supper so just saying wow!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very excited about your ginger and plan to grow some myself. How long does it take for the new tubers to grow?

    ReplyDelete
  7. These took several months. I believe you can take little chunks before you harvest the whole thing. It's a slow grower, which is why I'm trying for succession planting. Im guessing the winter will slow it down further. These plants were outside for several months until colder weather, and I think the light level was good for growth. Do we'll see what happens over winter.

    Uf you try it, do compare notes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Growing ginger sounds like something Resident Chef would like to try. Will have to keep my eye on the grocery store for a root that's showing signs of sprouting.
    As for that 'green stuff' you unearthed....I've been using it to make jar openers. Basis premise - two pieces of fabric about 7" square and a piece of that rubber shelf liner...stitch together, turn right side out, topstitch edge, and then stitch an X through the middle to hold in place. If you do it, wise to put a piece of paper between the rubber and the sewing machine throat so it will move. Then dampen paper to remove. They actually do help with opening jars!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have to look pretty closely to detect the growing bits of ginger, just slightly raised humps. I think most of the ginger I buy has them.

    Shelf liner, that's the name of it. Endlessly useful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've not tried growing edible ginger but that may be next on my list. Last time I bought ginger root, I chopped it up very fine then put it on my dehydrator. Worked very well and I didn't lose it in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!