Monday, September 28, 2020

Short term freezing

Making celery soup, with scallions and potatoes, cashew cheese whey, yogurt whey, chicken stock, onions, garlic, white pepper, kosher salt.

 You'll notice that a couple of these ingredients have been in the freezer only briefly. 

So why freeze them at all? It takes the pressure off, so if I didn't feel like using the celery (half of it in fact), soon, I wouldn't risk wasting it.  This happens fairly often around here. And there's half a bag back in the freezer now.


Ready for lunch. And pretty good. Plenty for the freezer.

And I test-ate a plum last night, very good, will make a good Marian Burros plum torte or tart depending on where you saw the recipe.

I'll freeze them till I need a dessert. Plenty of banana bread right now. So now you know intestate means never sampled her food, or something. Yes, yes, I know the Latin words, used to teach Latin, where was I..

Update on the outside faucet: dripping steadily. I'd put a bucket under, so I used the drips to water houseplants.

Then upstairs to the valve for another tightening episode, with rubber glove for traction. A bit better now. I think I'll have to do this at intervals to keep the line shut. 

Gardening chat with neighbor last evening, he wanted a plant like my blazing chrysanthemum. I don't like abbreviating plant names as if they were my toys, so I had used the full name.

 He said well, I was looking at the garden store, and all I saw were mums. I explained it's the same so now he's going to get a couple.  Didn't mean to confuse the issue. 

I've already knocked off using the Latin names for plants, which comes more readily than common American names which are different from Brit names, so I have to keep learning.

18 comments:

  1. You taught Latin? I am not surprised. You are also obviously quite qualified to teach home economics. I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Freezing celery! I've been reading your blog long enough to have realize how to solve the dilema of wasted celery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want celery crisp you need it raw, eaten promptly. But freezing is fine if you're going to cook it anyway. Doesn't affect the flavor.

      Delete
    2. I use it for winter soups, like you do, freeze to have it handy.

      Delete
  3. I use celery all the time but my husband is not fond of it. Celery soup would not be welcome but I’d like to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it does seem if you like it and he doesn't, that's all the more for you. My husband appreciates homemade bread but prefers his own store bought. That means I get toast in the morning and he doesn't. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd like to sample your celery soup, but not make it myself. Does it taste like celery, I wonder? Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has more depth than celery because of the potatoes. But it's light, very nice flavor.

      Delete
  6. Also... I've never before thought of freezing celery and have thrown it away too often, having kept it in the fridge beyond its prime. I think that may change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! My work here is done! If you're planning to cook it, then dicing or slicing and freezing is great. No waste. I include the foliage at the tips, only cut off the base.

      Delete
    2. Generally, I buy celery for putting a crunch in something like chicken salad, but I have this vague idea of also putting it in a soup - which almost never happens because by the time I get around to making soup, I've tossed the limp celery. You've done your job many times here, Liz. :)

      Delete
  7. I knew it! I had a feeling you might be an instructor, seems your natural bent.I hope the beet was good. I've only ever had pickled from a jar...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do the same - pop things into the freezer so I don't wind up with mushy stuff for the compost pile. I also put some thing on my dehydrator and that works too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a plant identification site on FB and they always reply with the latin nomenclature which is meaningless to me. If I see it and know the common name, I'll drop that in in the comments for other people like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I like the Latin because it acknowledges the naturalist who found the plant and propagated it. But common names are handy, though they do vary regionally.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!