Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Kitchen Toys and other diversion

 I've been thinking about graduating from my  forty year old coffee grinder with two broken blades to something posher for hard spices such as nutmeg and peppercorns. The other stuff can still go in the old grinder.

But when you break out and get really good pepper like this, why not go for it.

So here's the result.


I love this. It has a kind of matte finish which means less chance of having it fly across the room in use.

You yank it apart, drop the spices in, close it, then grind by hand the usual way you do with a mill. It says dans le sens horaire, and you find that's just clockwise. There's also a little graphic with a harrer an everything. Nothing left to chance in the instructions.

So I brought out the little company of grinders, white pepper, black pepper, for ordinary peppercorns, allspice. 

All fit in your hand. This is for cooking not showmanship like those peppergrinders like bazookas they flourish in restaurants.

And when all else fails, tiny mortar and pestle. You really feel like an alchemist when you wield these ancient things.

And a libe pickup scored this week's evening viewing.

 If I can get either of my options working. One's my laptop which might track better now that I replaced the giant battery which is about a quarter of the device. 

The other is the ancient little TV to which I've attached a DVD player. It works but the sound quality is a bit blurry. We'll see. Or maybe not.

I've started the book. That works fine.



7 comments:

  1. I laughed about the restaurant bazooka pepper mills. So true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of this is very, very exciting. Funny how the smallest things can be so meaningful and important these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Gadget!
    Mortar and pestles old fogie here. I like the idea of a spice mill though.
    I'm so happy "Shitt$ Creek" won so many Emmy awards! I hope they will make a movie(s).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of them before a knitting group recommended the series as good to knit to. So I put in my library request and next thing I knew it was winning awards right and left. Never knew I had such power!

      Delete
  4. I just grab my mortar and pestle to grind thing up - not always a well done job tho. Maybe a coffee grinder ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems funny to me that they had to cancel Shitt's Creek - and THEN they cleaned up on the awards. Never watched it even tho' it is a Canadian production. Your new mill looks pretty posh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've watched most of one season, and it's not my stuff really, but worth a look.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!