Sunday, September 13, 2020

About food and choices and time

This morning I found a reasonably priced source for organic produce home delivery, put in my first order, to arrive next week. I'll keep you updated. With pix of my first box if I'm happy.

The thing is that my neighborhood, non organic, but good quality, farm season ends soon, but this source delivers year round.

 I ordered a small box, every two weeks. It's produce that doesn't look pretty, so it's less marketable to stores who go for appearance. But taste and nutrition are the same.

I try to avoid buying produce that travels far, because of concern about the climate, but in this region all produce travels in winter so I may as well buy from organic growers.

It's similar in concept to my old farm share, but I hope with better selections. Anyway it will be a surprise box every time. Packed in recyclable materials.

Handsome Son will be over this afternoon with the groceries. I added ice cream to the list and he'll see why when I unfurl the peachapple crumblecrisp thing.

Speaking of sons, is this a male/female divide, a mother/son divide, a generational divide or what? I refer to the perception of time.

He's very good at letting me know when to expect him. Up to a point. He always texts ahead "over in a few". Here's where the divide comes in. His "few" is an entirely different concept from mine.

To me, "few" is up to 15 minutes, allowing for travel. It means I'm on my way out, keys in hand, ready to go. To him, I think it means after a few tasks at home. Bill paying, diy details, checking oil, changing furnace filter, taking out the recycle, reorganizing his playlist, who knows. But I have learned it's usually is nearer an hour than my 15. 

This used to be tricky when I was putting a meal on the table. I used to give him an ETA then I learned to arrange to have food ready about half an hour later than I'd specified. Nowadays it's only a pot of tea and a snack, easier, but still asynchronous.

I always thought it was men who were pacing up and down ready to leave, while women were finishing up pruning the apple trees. This has not been my lived experience.

I expect the crumble will get pretty good reviews, whenever we get to it.

So that's okay.


11 comments:

  1. We were headed out today and my husband was waiting in the car. He remarked how unusual that was. I am always the one waiting for him. Ready in five minutes for him means twenty in my time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time it was about half an hour of "in a few"! And two helpings of peach apple crumble with butter pecan ice cream. Good review.

      Delete
  2. We often joke about "Glen time" around here. My husband thinks he can accomplish things in about one quarter of the time it actually takes. If we're lucky. I have learned to be patient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a boss who used to say she always had more plans that the time permitted.

      Delete
  3. hehehehe, i know about "few", my hubs is the worst but the other 2 men in my life are like that as well!! I now have designated spots, text me when you are in the car, backing out of the driveway. for the hubs, text me when you have left the property and are on rt. 70. i am not sure what it is about men!!

    i had not been able to access your blog for some time, i had almost given up!! i'm glad i did not!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you didn't give up, too. I hadn't heard anyone else having trouble. Do you have any idea what the obstacle was?

      Delete
  4. I don't have any kids, but my helper, Mark, always texts me when he leaves his place. I really appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice that kind of accuracy with paid people. When the chimney man texts to say he's ten minutes away, he is at the house in the en minutes. Maybe it's a thing about relatives, the loose definition of "soon"!

      Delete
  5. I try to eat in season and refuse to buy summer fruits and vegetables from South America in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to this. However tempting Chilean cherries in January. It's harder to eat seasonally when there is nothing growing from November to April. So my box idea at least supports small organic farmers even if some travel is inevitable.

      Delete
  6. The concept of time seems to elude most people. I hate being late for anything and Resident Chef is of the mind that we'll get there when we get there. After 41 years I've learned to deal with it. #1 son married into a family that has absolutely NO concept of time and he's had to learn to tell them that a meal is going on the table two hours earlier than he actually planned (and even then, they're pretty much always late). I'm going to be interested in what you receive in your food box. We joined one of those several years ago and were promised that it would all be local produce - funny thing, we always got bananas and oranges - neither of which grow anywhere near here!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!