Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Surprising reading and the earth moved

 I was surprised to find, when I tried this collection of short stories

which involve faery, magic, real history and what if kind of musing, that I really like this writer.

 She's knowledgeable and good humored and she absolutely knows how to tell a story. This is an audiobook to accompany stitching. I've got it on a library site, but it's on youtube too, same recording.

I've now downloaded her much earlier Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell, as an ebook on my kindle. 

In other news: there was an earthquake during the night about half an hour from my house. Which I slept through, didn't even interrupt my dreams. I found out this morning in the news. If I still had cats I'd have known, because they would have gone into total hiding a couple of days earlier, unfindable.

We do get earthquakes but they're easily mistaken for a train passing, not a big deal. The last one I noticed was years ago, shortly after Handsome Partner died. I was in his bank with an officer, closing his account. The building swayed and creaked and shook.

 We finished signing and I cracked the old joke: did the earth move for you? Too late realized that someone from another culture 1. Doesn't make sex jokes 2. Never heard of this one.

 Anyway she said well, of course, it was an earthquake, as if I was a bit slow and needed help to understand..

10 comments:

  1. Ha! Yesterday I made a similar joke to my dental hygienist. More along the lines of "It was good for me. Was it good for you?"
    She at least pretended to be amused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buidling an audio book reading list for winter listening will be good as I expect this winter to be overwhelming with sickness news and body counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Other friends are planning on jigsaw puzzles, too.

      Delete
  3. Wow. sorry it was only an earthquake that made the earth move for you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We lived in a mining town where rock bursts made the earth shake. That was as close to a earthquake as I ever want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We once had a tiny earthquake in New York City. It was just enough to feel the building move, but have no damage. I hope it's the only one I live through. Thanks for visiting Coffee Light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. an earthquake is something I have never experienced. my parents were in one once when they were in Mexico city.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Earthquakes on top of everything else. Seems like the entire world is out of sorts . Good thing you slept through it all.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!