Sunday, September 20, 2020

Soup's up

 First soup in ages.


 I like to have soup in the freezer, for when I can't think what to cook. This is carrot, cashew, ginger and sweet potato. It used up the rest of the cooked sweet potato, frozen after the patty caper for when I felt like sweet potato again. One helping in the fridge, three in the freezer. It looks well stocked, but only the top third is food. The rest is art materials.

But what I'm thinking about a bit is a convo I had recently with a friend, where I explained I can't recognize people, even people I know well.  I identify them by gesture, or voice or some such cue. But their faces are not recognizable at all.  I have a number of friends, mostly in the art world, with the same issue.  It's a brain function, and there's a huge long Greek name for it, which, translated, simply says difficulty in facial recognition. I'd be a hopeless witness. Heck, I don't even recognize relatives. I am comforted by the knowledge that Oliver Sacks had the same issue.

The other day I saw a man on the street, thought at first it might be my son, then realized he doesn't have a jacket like that! So I didn't greet him, perfect stranger anyway. I even once failed to recognize my mom on a bus. She came and sat beside me, and I was sort of trying to ignore this woman shoving at my elbow.  Wasn't till we both stood to get off at our stop that I realized it was her. She was cracking up laughing about it.  If a longtime friend suddenly puts on a hat, I've had it.  No idea who they are.

Case in point: next door is a Boston terrier -- I have zero difficulty identifying animals, probably because they have constant movement and gesture going, and don't wear hats usually -- anyway, one day a man appeared at my door, holding little Bennie in his arms, a man in a baseball cap.  I instantly thought oh heck, something's happened to the neighbor and they need me to take the dog for a while, I reached out for Bennie, then the man spoke, and I realized he was the neighbor, who never wears a hat.  He'd just picked up the dog so he wouldn't run off while we talked. Ah.

One time I was in one of those cafes that looks out over an open space and a park, with a friend. A woman appeared, far off, with two dogs.  Whereupon, I said, oh, there's Rosie, haven't seen her in a while, and the GS, so I guess that woman must be Barbara.  Friend says, you're not kidding, are you? you identified her by her dogs? Well, yes.

It can be socially awkward when people just don't understand I'm not snubbing them.  People who really know me just call out and identify themselves as if on the phone, very helpful.  The way I would to a blind person rather than make them guess from my voice. But I've got into the habit of looking smiley and friendly all the time, just so people at least don't think I'm mad at them when I walk by!

This is in part a public service announcement. Please don't assume someone is deliberating cutting you.  If a friend just walks by, give them the chance to say hi by doing it first, with your name.  That would be great.  It's difficult at work.  After a while your boss really expects you to be able to pick her out at a meeting, while you're desperately hoping for clues, a word or movement that will tell you which one she is.

I wonder if it's connected to the sense of direction, which I also don't have? I can read maps and get around,but I can never know what compass point I'm heading in, or whether the next turn should be right or left.  The same street, seen from two directions, looks totally different to me. Could be two streets.  I can't just retrace my steps.  My late husband used to get a charge out of going for a walk with me when we lived in a city, round a few corners, then back home, saying, go on, walk in.  I can't walk in there, I don't know who lives there!  We do, you chump, that's our front door!

Not a huge problem. I just hope it isn't taken for dementia!  It's been with me forever. As my son says, when I fret over something I can't remember or got mixed up with, nah, Mom, you've always been this way!



9 comments:

  1. My kids say the same about me, too!
    Prosopagnosia is the name of the facial recognition disorder. I have it to a slight degree, I think. I believe it is one of the reasons that I don't really enjoy social gatherings. I have a very hard time remembering who is who. It's frustrating. Sometimes maddening. And yes, clothing, hairstyle, pets- these can help in identification but if they change, well. There you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what an odd ailment to have to live with. I recognise faces just fine, it's coming up with their names, even people I've known for decades, if I see them and I'm not expecting to. even sometimes when I'm expecting to! it will come to me eventually but it's embarrassing when I can't greet them by name right away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recognize faces with no problem, it's the putting names to them that becomes an issue sometimes. I generally manage to have a brain fart (as my kids dub it) when I'm about to introduce somebody. Soup season is, I guess, a good thing....but I don't have to love the necessity for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that this is something one can have all one's life. I have experienced a little of it as I'm ageing. Not with people I know well, but more when I see someone out of context. I met the woman who runs the pharmacy at the vet hospital in a grocery store, and had no idea who she was, but managed to keep up a conversation and then noticed she still had her name tag on and one of those smocks full of little doggie and kitty pictures. Then I knew. But it scared me so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband has a difficulty with facial recognition too. He uses voice recognition and has a good memory for peoples’ clothes and gestures etc. It is more common than we think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I too struggle with different variations on these recognition themes. We completely agree with your PSA. If we're out together, I'll introduce him to the person that I suspect I should know, and hope that said person will say to him "Howdedoo, I'm Ms. So-and-So", hence saving my bacon. Sometimes works.

    Cheers,
    Chris from Boise

    PS Always good to have a handsome son that can put it in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting that in this statistically small sampling, we've identified four people with this quirk. That suggests it's more common than people used to think. One possibility is that if you don't identify people by faces you have no way of knowing that's how other people routinely do it. Or you may not want to mention it if you do know it's different, for fear of being written off as less capable. Or ridiculed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no problem with faces, but I do have trouble with recall. On the phone, I can have a spirited convo with someone, and when my husband says, 'what was THAT all about?" i have to say, ask me in a half hour and I'll remember. If someone, a doctor, say, hands me a sheet of paper with instructions to give it to his receptionist, often I'll sail out and half way home discover that odd bit of paper in my pocket. Or maybe in a week. And think, 'what IS this..."

    However, if I can write something down, like a grocery list, and leave it on the table, I usually can get everything on the list. Drives my husband nuts, lol. It's the act of writing that nails it for me. He, on the other hand, has to write down "one can of soup" "one loaf of bread". Between us we have an entire memory system.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Day to day I recognize faces - names, however are a whole other problem! Though, I do know I have purged many faces from my memory - like those I worked with long ago or went to high school with or haven't seen in 30-odd years. Memory has only so much storage capacity then you just have to let things go.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!