Friday, September 4, 2020

Marmalade and noises off

 I finally got around to making the marmalade from the can of  mix I've had waiting on the shelf since the last batch. 

This is wonderful stuff, the mix being genuine seville oranges, bitter as how's your father, which you boil with sugar and  a bit of water.

 I only needed half a batch, so, the mix being in a can, I guessed at half then measured with a ruler to be fairly sure.

Likewise figuring half a bag of sugar labeled in pounds  with no scale, involved some counting cups and dividing. The water was an imperial pint needing to be halved, but they obligingly listed it in ml too, so I did that. 

Then finally got the stuff assembled, and boiling merrily, foaming up to where I had to drop in the knob of butter to contain the foam. This is, along with making toffee and deep fat frying, one of the more hazardous activities in the kitchen.

So it was exactly when my neighbor texted to say their water was off , (probably further chapter in the saga of the washing machine) and could she borrow my hose.

Well, I had to explain it was now a sprinkler system and couldn't be moved, but if she could unscrew it at the faucet, she could bucket water home.  She hasn't come over yet so maybe she's not up for it. 

I did mention I couldn't leave the stove because marmalade. Amazing how often people urgently need stuff when you're timing boiling marmalade or frying something tricky or up a stepladder fixing curtains. Hardly ever when you're sitting reading. The picture above is after the unstirdownable point, too busy texting then (!)  to take a pic, here it's boiling more gently, lower flame.

Anyway I followed their testing method -- some marmalade in a saucer in the fridge, test for wrinkles.

 I usually just estimate, using the big metal spoon approach -- dip it in, let it drain off, observe if it separates into separate drips. That's the done point. The wrinkles in the saucer happened, and I tested it with my spoon, too, same result.

Poured it into the three jars I'd had boiling merrily with their lids all the while.

This should last for quite a few breakfasts. Allowing for sharing with neighbors. For people clutching their pearls -- all that sugar!!-- just a note that I spread about a teaspoon a day on my breakfast toast. Not too dangerous.

12 comments:

  1. I used to like orange marmalade. I imagine I still do but I don't have a sweet tooth. that disappeared with the onset of menopause. I don't eat jelly, no cookies or candy in the house (my husband would eat it but he doesn't need to gain any more weight). I do like pie though and I am getting in the ingredients for banana pudding. thought I had all but the bananas turned out to be to far gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the seville marmalade. It's not sweet, very tart and tangy. The mix before boiling with sugar and water is so bitter it's inedible!

      Delete
  2. Seville oranges make the best marmalade. A teaspoon of marmalade is perfect! Lots of work but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The MaMade people did most of the work, seville oranges unobtainable on this continent. I've had American marmalade which is nice but more like jam in sweetness.

      Delete
  3. I love marmalade, but can no longer indulge. Let the pearl clutchers clutch, a little bit of sugar ( or even a whole bunch) isn't going to do much damage that I can see. Enjoy. Have some for me, liberally spread on a muffin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard when you can't eat your favorites. I'll dedicate tomorrow's breakfast toast, whole-wheat/white/oat, with its share of marmalade, to you!

      Delete
  4. I eat no sugar added jam and it is sweet enough. Yours looks delicious. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already started to. On buttered toast for breakfast. It's so tangy and good.
      I wonder how no sugar added works. It's the sugar be that usually triggers the setting along with the pectin. I'd be interesting to know what they use.

      Delete
  5. this is all french to me, i have never done this, as when i need jam i go to the food store. all kidding aside, it is wonderful that you do this...and it looks so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best parts of making jam and marmalade is seeing how beautiful, jewel like, it is in the jars. There's really no comparison between homemade and shop jam. My neighbors all like to know when I'm making it, hoping for samples. Which they get.

      Delete
  6. I guess I shouldn't admit it but I've never been a fan of marmalade. Yours does look good though! Yesterday Resident Chef slaved away in the kitchen getting veggies ready for me to undertake a grand pickling caper today. Two batches of Red Cabbage Beet Relish; one bath of zucchini relish; and two batches of Cranberry Apple Mustard are currently cooling and popping their lids. And I'm sitting wondering why I thought my back was up to standing for six hours doing all the cooking and processing. Oh well, it's done now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering if some of them will be gifts? They'd be very welcome.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!