Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Best laid plans, mice, women, pickles and so on

The big plan for today was for my cleaners to make a triumphant return, out since March, woo-hoo. Then last night sad email, car broke down, in shop hoping to get it back for maybe tomorrow, will reschedule.

I was to absent myself as usual, always get out of their way, by going to do my library drive-by, I mean curbside pickup,then maybe take a walk.

So I did the pickup, then the new plan was to read.



Already into Eleanor Oliphant, Kindle goes by percentage not page, and Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell. And here come these additions. So I would do a reading buffet, flitting hither and yon like a literate butterfly.

Then I looked at my email and the alert about my next Bite Club Cookbook Book Club, try saying that fast, was in my inbox.

There were still borrows to go on my Hoopla account for the month. So here's what ended up happening.


carrots waiting to be peeled, as well as bread waiting to be baked and dishes to wash. The carrots won.

Pickles! Haven't made them in ages. And I had everything available. Thyme, garlic, salt, hot pepper flakes, coriander seeds, vinegars.  Made a little jar. Cold brine. 




This involved toasting coriander seeds.


As you know, if you've toasted seeds or nuts, there's a nano second between just right and stow this for a lark. But I never looked away, and it was okay.

Then bethought me of the farm asparagus spears in the freezer. Enough brine left to boil and use as a hot brine pickle.


White wine and white vinegar, sugar, water.


So that happened as well.

The bread is not baked ( though I see a nice flatbread recipe there), and the sink is still full of soapy water and dishes. But I have my Thanksgiving pickles.


8 comments:

  1. Some day I am going to pickle jalapenos, onions, and carrots and try to make them like the Mexican restaurant we used to love so much made theirs. You've reminded me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make pickles with cauliflower, zucchini and peppers. Love this time of year making preserves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorites is piccalilli, the mustard pickle with all sorts of vegetables, including a lot of cauliflower. Haven't made it in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me...buy beets and onions.
    Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like and have made sweet pickles though it's a 14-day process (so I don't do it as often as in the past). I do make pickle relish though - pretty quick and good on so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've started the daily tasting to see if we're there yet. So far, so good. The coriander seeds give a great flavor to the carrots.

      Delete
  6. I love the smell of pickling, something that reminds me of fall on the farm when I was growing up. I do miss having a cold cellar for storage of such things so have to limit the amount I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like anything that involves one pot of jars and lids boiling while I do exciting things with fruit, vegetables, sugar, brine, whatever, in another big pot. And jars handled with tongs, resting on kitchen cloths and wiping the threads, all that.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!