Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Ready to vote and other, less important, things

So here's my voting outfit. Ballot, mask, gloves.  I'm ready.

Meanwhile last night's supper, half of which is tonight's supper

Shiitake mushrooms, plus mixed mushrooms, farm tomatoes, sharp cheddar, egg, 400 till the egg cooked. Technicolor food.

I had fried the mushrooms in butter and oil first, then added them in. Then the liquid from the tomatoes was a bit too much, so I spooned most of it out, did a reduction on top of the stove, which powered up the flavor, poured it back over the doings. Very nice on top of a slice of whole-wheat bread.

Took about 20 minutes total.

About teaching, yes, I seem to have been doing it one way or another starting back in schooldays. It's mostly been art workshops for the last fifty plus years. My art blog Art, the Beautiful Metaphor is largely a teaching and sharing blog, same idea.

Originally, back in the pleistocene era, I arrived in this country with a terrific degree, figured teaching might be good, French, Latin, English lit, did a teacher training in Wisconsin where we lived then, complete with classroom teaching resulting in job offers, but we left Wisconsin for husband's job in NJ. 

Wisconsin ed people assured me they had teacher licence reciprocation in all states, it was portable, no worries.  And, once in NJ, I started the process of getting a NJ licence.

Only to find I'd moved to one of two states which will not issue teacher licences needed for public school teaching to noncitizens. The other is Texas. Or was at that time, mid sixties.

So I searched the statute and came up with an exception: I was certified to teach French. Foreign language teaching was exempt from the citizenship rule. Whereupon they came back smartly and said only if it's your native language. Oh.  And by the time we qualified to start the citizenship process, my Wisconsin licence would have lapsed couldn't be renewed from out of state, nothing then to reciprocate with. Catch 22.

So I taught Latin and English in a private middle school at approximately half the salary of a public school teacher.  In the end it was okay because I was finding adult instruction much more interesting, and kids not so much. I've taught kids now and then, special workshops, homeschoolers, etc, but my energies have gone into adults.

This was in addition to full time work in various organizations.  Yes, I've done a lot of things. 

Not just art. Antique identification, freelance writing, other material. This was professional paid, work, sometimes very nicely, when the organizers wrote me into grants.  But I've done a lot as a volunteer, too.

The thing I object to is the, frequent, assumption that  artists should be happy to teach and demo for nothing, on demand. For "exposure".  I usually point to my fee schedule and explain I can't buy groceries with exposure. And that my volunteer plans are already filled.

No, I will not donate a large artwork for permanent display in the Town Hall, if you can buy furniture, you can buy art.  No, I will not make videos for your library YouTube channel for free! The most recent outrageous request, couched as a terrific honor for me, hehehe.

People who know better typically do better, though, as when my embroidery guild chapter paid me to teach workshops. No question. And fellow artists always pay for individual teaching.

End of rant! 

Back to checking if the rain has let up so I can go vote, and save the world.

.

10 comments:

  1. hahaha! Carry on saving the world....and you are a GREAT teacher...much appreciated by me. Our cooking quite often matches...must be genetic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the nice words about teaching. And yes, I think there's some family culture getting into the cooking.

      Delete
  2. You have a perfect response to the artist expectation, Liz. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't go over well though. Not what they expected to hear.

      Delete
  3. You have indeed done many things in your life. Again I say- I admire you.
    Our early-voting here doesn't begin until Oct. 19. I am so looking forward to going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vote by mail here has always given weeks if extra time to vote. When people used to canvass door to door, they'd typically be weeks late to change my mind!

      Delete
  4. Art is under valued and so are its teachers IMO.

    My taste of teaching adults was great. I would have enjoyed it for my career.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your rant today! Truer words were never spoken. I get so incensed at people who assume, just because you're an craftsperson (not even an 'artist'!), that you work for nothing. I had a woman just yesterday ask me if I knit - and would I make her a hat. I knew, just by the way she was wording it, that she expected me to go and get the yarn too and I highly doubt that she would pay me for my time....even if she did pay for the yarn itself.
    And further on that subject - the local quilt guild has asked me several times if I couldn't see my way clear to teaching how to do the landscapes. Nope - as if THAT's going to happen! Yes, they'd probably pay me for doing the workshop BUT then I'd cut into any possible market for my work because they'd then be doing their own. Not that I've receiving any commissions from them anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never worried about teaching everything I know. I reason that if people aren't already doing professional level work, my teaching will be a pleasure to them and really no threat! Typically once they find out how much labor is entailed, they fade away..

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!