Monday, September 7, 2020

Happy Labor Day, with hopes for better

 Yesterday after the herculean task with the ficus, I spent the afternoon outside, stitching and watching a movie. Multitasking.  Blessedly the season is turning and it was possible to be outside without a storm of allergy results.

So I really enjoyed a peaceful afternoon, watching a free YouTube movie, The Madness of King George. It's old and I still hadn't seen it. And it's worth seeing again.

Poor picture, best I could do.

 It's wonderful, sad and here and there funny -- wave and smile, it's what they pay us for -- and deeply true. "I was always myself. Now I remember how to seem myself" after a terrible bout of mental illness treated with the primitive methods of the time.

It was probably porphyria, little understood then, an inherited blood disorder. It affects a lot of the systems, including the brain. Rages can be a part of it. Some modern day royals have been in known for rages, which makes me wonder if they're affected. One younger royal who died young in a plane crash, had been diagnosed. All the more reason for marrying unrelated  commoners such as Meghan and Kate and that rugger player, much better for their descendants.

This is the end of my totally unqualified genetics lecture.

Today, honey crisp apples in at the farm. Off there after Bad Food lunch for the holiday. Hot dogs, potato chips. No pix, not done yet, and you know what they look like!

My Essential Worker Son, working this weekend, acknowledges all the wild cheering and stamping in his honor on Labor Day!

If it's Labor Day where you are, enjoy! If it's just a Monday, enjoy the day.

7 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I love hot dogs and potato chips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love honey crisp apples. I'm glad you had a nice afternoon with King George. I've had fun reading about the wife of our Swedish King Gustav III My Danish girlfriend and I are now convinced he was gay. He married a beautiful Danish princess and it took for ever and needed help for him to consummate the marriage. You can read what seems like a whole book on Wikipedia sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, where have I been? I didn't know that Youtube offered free movies. I will check this one out first, Liz. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This evening it was The Winslow Boy, wonderful Mamet production, great acting.

      Delete
  4. Here, cheering and waving for essential workers! Too bad it's taken me a pandemic to really appreciate the people who get us through every day.

    Cheers!
    Chris from Boise

    PS That was impressive ficus wrestling. Wore me out just to read about it. Here, had to decide between Hasfit and nap. Guess which won...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot dogs and potato chips are a great treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was so much of a problem with royals - all that inbreeding. I wasn't aware that you could watch movies on YouTube either...thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!