Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Surprising outcome, considering

 Yesterday I found my inability to do dishes and bake bread was all about being tired. I accidentally slept for an hour, officially reading, then woke with enough oomph to bake bread, make a nice little supper and, most amazingly, do the dishes.

I'm hopeless at knowing when I'm tired. It comes from  long periods of illness through childhood to young adulthood, when I forced myself to operate no matter what. If I'd waited to feel better I'd never have had the interesting life I've had.  

The result is that when I eventually, by my thirties, achieved more or less good health, I was terrible at knowing how much was enough.  When in doubt, do more, was the idea.

Including driving an hour to conduct important work meetings in the throes of several gall bladder attacks. When my doctor, seeing me for an unrelated issue, found out and forcibly referred me to a surgeon, both of them said, you did what? You could have been dead! Not amused when I pointed out that I wasn't. I  didn't admit my meeting notes were soaked in sweat, but never mind.

Anyway, a mixture of grit and stupidity is threaded through my self care history.

It's the fear that chronically ill people often have, that if I don't get up now, I may never get up again. And long after you're well, the fear is still there.

Anyway, bread happened


Raw risen dough

baked, in Teflon baking dish


Out, cooling on rack.

The Teflon baking dish is an idea I got from Jacques Pepin. Mix the dough in it, bake in the same container. Cool, pop it out.  Little cleanup.

And a very easy favorite supper, sliced tomato, chunks of cheese, egg broken over, salt, pepper, bake at 375f till the egg is cooked, about 20 minutes.Nice on toast.

But the bread wasn't baked yet, so the last of the Bad Food potato chips made an appearance.

7 comments:

  1. My husband is the same with his fatigue. Since the pandemic he has actually been getting enough sleep and I think it is serving him very well.
    Yesterday I found some potatoes with bad spots that I cut out and made my lunch with the parts that were still good, sliced and sauteed with onions and red peppers with an egg cooked in it. Should have added a few tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of potato in this mix. Must remember that, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sickness at an early age must have been tough. You made the most of life when you had the opportunity though. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a trait we share - not knowing when to quit. I have a habit of working until I'm too tired to sit, watch TV, read or anything else including sleep well. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to love the accidental sleep for an hour. Napping here at Chez Magpie is doable for Resident Chef because I tiptoe around and let him enjoy his snooze. He, on the other hand, is a bull moose in a china shop should the role be reversed and it's me attempting to nap. Somewhat of a double standard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Handsome partner used to wake me up! He assumed I wouldn't sleep at night if I napped. I was exhausted though. Then a friend of mine read him the riot act and he stopped.

      Delete
    2. Maybe that's what Resident Chef thinks too - I've never asked.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!