Wednesday, March 8, 2023

ArtShaped artwork, gloves , Freecycle, Textiles and Tea, Women's Day

Home from the rheumo, and the second of the twice yearly osteo injections. She assured me I was wonderfully healthy, blood panel beautiful (?). Doctors have a weird idea of beauty.

 She said it was probably the free weight practice I started at age 60 that's the reason I have no joint pain at all. So I guess it paid off. I still have osteo-level scan numbers in my hip, though, hence the injections.  

I did winnowing yesterday, among  the art materials. Here's the Freecycle offering probably to be picked up today 


Artworks who need a new home.

Here's what went into recycle, foam core 


And in the course of pawing through the crate, I found a couple of ancient artworks that might make a good eventual plinth for the work in progress.

Speaking of works in progress, here's the lovely new gloves which have hardly been off my hands since I finished the second one yesterday
 

I'm dying for a pair of socks in this lovely yarn. It really makes a person look like a good knitter.  But I cast on the toe of the second sock I was making for the Sock and Glove Ministry,  to make sure that pair gets finished.


I was working on this while I watched yesterday's Textiles and Tea, a rather low-key presentation by Liz Spear, a weaver who designs and weaves clothing, also makes nuno felt. 

There were few slides and almost no discussion of the nuno felting process which would have been interesting. I'm familiar with it - fine  roving embedded into a silk base by friction, to create high end fabric.

However, here's the slides I caught, showing collaborative works.

The white coat has panels of woven paper along with the rest of the, I think wool, weaving. The wearer made the paper panels.




That's Liz on the left, a sought after teacher in the weaving world.

On the subject of more information, a couple of people are interesting in making the gloves, and here's a screenshot of information including how to get the free pattern, which I hope is still available. My own Xerox copy is so marked up with notes
that it's illegible to anyone but me.



And, more works in progress, the work on the figure is moving along. The head is now complete except it will be painted, so the present color is irrelevant.




It's sitting nicely on the neck, my main concern at this point.  Next I have to gather materials for the torso, and I have some ideas about that.

And I can just stop working long enough to pay tribute to all women on International Women's Day. I hope I live long enough to see the value of women be so obvious it doesn't need a special day, one whole day a year ..

Meanwhile, celebrate ourselves, sisters!
And yes, that does include trans sisters.



Happy day everyone, we matter!



30 comments:

  1. I’m going to ravelry right now to check out the pattern.
    The head is no longing looking scary. I can see the personality coming through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the pattern's available still. It's easy to reverse engineer if you can't get it.

      Delete
  2. Let us hope we get to where we don't need a day saying we matter. I very much like the head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the "we matter" shout is a meanwhile one! Thanks for the nice words on the art in progress

      Delete
  3. I just read this and had to share:
    GEORGIA PUBLIC BROADCASTING
    "Knowing the world as I do, I can tell you without any equivocation that the No. 1 abuse of human rights on Earth, strangely not addressed quite often, is the abuse of women and girls," said Jimmy Carter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. He's always made it part of his religious practice to seek justice for women. He also said the Christian church, by adopting the patriarchy, used it to oppress women in the name of religion.

      Delete
  4. I downloaded and printed the glove pattern yesterday, so no worries.
    Thank you for having such a positive blog. Your positive outlook on display.
    Not to mention the art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great about tthe glove pattern. It's a pretty simple one and the results are nice. You can adjust the ribbing at wrist and fingers to fit your own hand. Mine's big, so I add a few rows to both.
      I'm glad you're enjoying your visits here. We aim to please!

      Delete
  5. I love the colour of those mitts. Versatile mix of colour and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see why I'd like some socks in this yarn. It's soft and warm.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the pattern. The link you gave didn't have blogspot in it! All makes sense now. I just love malabrigo yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those beautiful gloves! A pair of matching socks would be nice.

    Thank you for saying so, yes we do matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very glad you're back and commenting, Bonnie! You certainly matter to us.

      Delete
  8. Yesterday I treated myself to a Guinnes for women's day... and yes, I also go to the gym for health reasons, fortunately there is also a sauna. We always have a lot of fun.
    I wish you a lot of fun with knitting and torso.
    A hug from me.
    oh yeah the coats are great... i love working with all kinds of fabrics including weaving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Guinness sounds like a cheery way to celebrate! The coats are good, I love well made coats that hang right.

      Delete
  9. F absolutely covets the colours in that coat in the last weaving screen shot. If you could have an interview with any three women from history, who would they be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question. I must give it some thought.

      Delete
  10. How I love the British Gardening History tribute! I feel a tiny bit of a part of that chain of women and it is a good feeling.
    So excellent that you got a good report from your doctor!
    Have you named The Head yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A name, if any, will happen way down the line when it's a complete standing figure. That's the current aim.

      Delete
  11. You are so busy with beautiful art. I love the knitted mittens and hat. The face in progress is something I would like to see on my FFO. Have a lovely day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the toe of a toe up sock, but it does look like a little hat! The head is part of a larger artwork in progress, so only being shown in here right now. When eventually finished, we'll see. Emphasis on eventually, many decisions and parts to this one.

      Delete
  12. Your gloves look great! I can't wait to see how that project involving the head turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Project Involving a Head. You may have given me a title for the piece. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  13. Those gloves and hat are wonderful. There's something SO happy about pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the toe of a toe-up sock. I guess it could double as a doll hat! The gloves have hardly been off since I made them. Warm hands make a lot of difference to my cheerfulness.

      Delete
  14. Those gloves would make me smile every time I caught a glimpse of them so I know you're going to enjoy them.
    I was rather mystified by anyone wanting to put paper into a coat that quite obviously would need to be cleaned at some point. I suppose it could simply be a display piece in which case it wouldn't matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe woven paper can tolerate cleaning. And yes, I do like the gloves.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!