Friday, March 3, 2023

Winnowing, knitting related food, art break

Yesterday's winnowing, an angelwing begonia, now lives in the library where the knitting group meets. I grew this from cuttings.


Wrapped for travel. 

And the group chat today ranged over topics from naming babies to doing puzzles to cooking from today's Modern Daily Knitting MDK newsletter, which I did for lunch.

It was one of those times when the planets are aligned and you're reading email over breakfast, thinking idly about lunch, and in a unlikely place, a knitting newsletter, find a likely candidate. And you have all the ingredients for an interesting recipe right in the house. Here's how it worked out


 

The cast: chickpeas, onions, spinach, garlic, cilantro, parsley, ground turkey (meatballs from freezer)  leftover carrots added in why not. Mixture of turmeric, cayenne, coriander, cumin, salt, pepper. The recipe writer served with yogurt, I chose feta cheese crumbles.




 Three dinnersworth from the recipe. I suppose you could serve it over rice, too, if you chose. And there's other vegetables you could add in, tomatoes might be nice.

So this gave me strength to haul the plant out to the car, I'd brought it downstairs last evening, that was exciting, and Gary helped realign the car seat today to let the plant stand securely on the floor. She was well received at the library. 

Anyway, convergence happened. Cooking, knitting and winnowing. Just like the moon, Jupiter and Venus the other night. On a smaller scale, admittedly.

On the ArtShaped art front, here's where we are



There's the rough draft of the neck and the chest, using the container from the Misfits penne and one of  Rose's puzzle-containing boxes, just to see how the head sits. 

At this point I just leave it where I can see it while I think about the next stage. That's after I finish the head, which needs more covering. The diluted glue is working nicely, and the piece is still light in weight as I hoped.

But there are questions to consider before I continue, and a few days might be good at this point to just breathe.

And I can work a puzzle, yay 


Speaking of which, are you up for a Haggard Hawks for the weekend?


A full and lovely day, very late getting to blogging, but one thing and another, you know. Happy evening everyone, enjoy your weekend.



37 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If it is, it's so subtle even I don't get it, LOL

      Delete
    2. You'll have to work backwards from other clues!

      Delete
  2. I know the answer straight away, as they would say in my British written novels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's my kind of meal (sans the cilantro)! The proportions on the ArtShaped figure are very nice. Eager to see what percolates in your mind over the next few days.

    I can give you a nice 7-letter Haggard Hawk answer, but of course that's not it. But wait...aha...dollars to dimes, I think I have it!

    Chris from Boise

    PS So nice to share around the results of your green thumb! Beautiful begonia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny with the clue!!

      I'm very happy to have a new destination for surplus houseplants. I've run out of willing neighbors, all of whom grow their own. This is the first plant they received for the library since asking last week. I like the idea of live plants there, and the librarian whose idea it is, is an experienced gardener, so all's well.

      Delete
  4. And LOVE watching a man be created!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying watching the process.

      Delete
  5. The face is sinister one minute and amused the next. I can't wait to see it complete.
    The puzzle had me scratching my head but then I counted up the number of presidents and kings and queens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting how a few simple shapes create expressions.

      You guys are too good with your clues!

      Delete
  6. Oh that looks very yummy.
    To me the face is smiling. So I like it. The plant is so big and healthy.
    I’m sure it will be a wonderful feature in the library for many years to come

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect the plant will yield offspring, too. It's a rapid easy care grower.

      Delete
  7. A little bit of synchronicity happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that. Great fun when parts of your life come together.

      Delete
  8. I like the head. You are busy with all kinds of things. That meal looks really good, I need to try more of this type of food. it''s really healthy. The library got a wonderful gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty happy with it. And it's easy care, always a good point when you give plants.

      Delete
  9. I made a quick and easy meal, one of my own concoction...onion, celery, garlic chopped and sauteed, cabbage sliced into ribbons added and cooked down, then pre-cooked egg noodles and thin sliced leftover sausage link added til warmed up. one skillet meal.

    sometimes one has to step back and think what will work best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds excellent. Noted. Yes, just note what's available and how it will work. My style. Also very good food.

      Delete
  10. The two puzzles I ordered arrive yesterday and now I have five in the stack and must get on with them! What a smart way to transport the plant. I just put them in the car and hold my breath they won't tip and dirty it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you don't want to lose the plant or the soil it's growing in. I've been through a few local house moves with plants.

      Delete
  11. I just started my new Jigsaw puzzle last night. Dimi got it for me. 1500 pieces. I always do the border first and that was completed last night. It's a bit intimidating at this point.
    I have some ideas about the puzzle but I know it's not Dinknose. Urban dictionary says that is an insult suggesting someone's nose is actually a penis. They give an example, "You are a stupid Dinknose!"
    My other ideas are far less intense and I'll make a note of them and take that to the bank.
    Thanks for the word puzzle, they always send me down various rabbit holes where many hidden unknown words are discovered.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying the word puzzles. Yeah, I think insults, along with proper, i.e. capitalized names, plurals ending in s, are usually not accepted.
      You're an advanced jigsaw puzzler!

      Delete
  12. That looks like a fabulous meal minus the cilantro. I was sorry to miss the event in the skies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are people who can't tolerate cilantro, tastes like soap to them. So I'd never mix it in if a guest was in that group. I love the scent and taste. Different body chemistry.

      Delete
  13. You have so inspired me with your winnowing. Well, I am not going about it all in any sort of regimented fashion but I am absolutely putting things aside to take to the thrift store. I do not think we have free-cycling around here.
    That recipe looks like a keeper to me.
    And you are SO generous to take your begonia to the library. I mean- you raised it from a tiny baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to start plants then see them off to their forever home. I can see it when it's been set up, too.
      I think you might not have a big enough very local population for free cycle to work, but the thriftie works. What happened to the lady with the consignment store?

      Delete
  14. This is a great post. I love chickpeas and will give this recipe a try. You should come join FFO with your art piece. Have a lovely day today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, check Modern Daily Knitting MDK, webste for the directions on rhd recipe. Just a few steps.
      Thank you for the FFO invitation, too.

      Delete
    2. The! Not rhd. Why can't auto interfere spot and correct that kind of typo.

      Delete
  15. I'd leave the cilantro out as well - to me it does taste like soap.
    Hmmm - the sculpture is more than just a head which explains the need for tubing.
    And - it must be nice to have an assortment of puzzles to choose from. So far Resident Chef hasn't started one this winter although there are a couple waiting in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to have a choice right at home rather than a town away.
      And yes, this is going to be a large figure if it works as hoped.

      Delete
  16. My humum eats chickpeas. Nothing chick about them. I would rather have your turkey mince thank you. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we were sharing you'd be welcome. I think the chick part came from the Italian ceci. Not related to chicken, sorry, T.

      Delete
  17. That begonia is beautiful! How fun that you can visit it, and others will enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like the idea that it's now a public plant.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!