Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Weaving journey Day Two, and other issues

I just thought I'd do a few establishing rows of weaving this morning before anything else. Famous last words.

It's now several hours and learnings later, and I had this attempt


Which was very awkward to manage, couldn't seem to set up the loom resting against the table and manage the raising and lowering of the heddle at the same time.

Then I ran into warp tension problems, probably because of my cockamamie, I mean unconventional, way of winding it. 

So after much unavailing effort to fix a couple of warps which were determined to be loose, and the discovery that I'd threaded the heddle upside down.. I'd forgotten there was an up and a down.. I decided to consider this an excellent learning experience and cut off the work from the loom, to start better tomorrow.

Of all the videos about this loom I've watched, not a single one mentioned that there's an up and a down, nor that it's vital to thread the heddie right way up so that the ears on the top can rest on the blocks at the side, to create the up position.  

That's why I couldn't get going, too difficult to change the shed without a proper resting heddle position, and get an open clean shed to slide the shuttle through without fouling the warps.

So here's not just a pathetic little chunk of weaving


It's a user manual for me. It reminds me about warping better, not improvising so much, about threading the right way, and that I didn't much like this yarn combo. The grey is sticky, catches everywhere, so I'll try a different warp idea when I continue tomorrow.

This didn't yield much product, but I'm a whole lot more knowledgeable now, ready to do better tomorrow. I also learned to stay calm and unhurried throughout a tricky process, a good thing in itself. Pema Chodron must have left her mark!

No Textiles and Tea this afternoon, because it's a guest who weaves coffins from willow, a marvelous green and respectful part of death, but, after the last couple of days, I think I'm not quite up for studying the art of casket weaving.

Meanwhile, winnowing has taken a related but different turn. Yesterday I upcycled a couple of things and I'm rediscovering items I haven't used.

The loom was one rediscovered thing, yesterday, and last evening and today here's this


Here's the warping peg for tomorrow's fresh onslaught. I realized that though my c- clamps have vanished, my pasta maker has a handy clamp. That, a sturdy wooden knitting needle, and a roll of masking tape, make a diy warping peg. And afterwards they can return to their regular programming.

And here's today's refind


My old radio, since my favorite radio station keeps annoyingly dropping its online signal, unearthed and in use again. The sound beats the tinny version on my phone and tablet, too. 

So, though nothing left the house, nothing came in either, to supply the listening and weaving needs. You might call it prewinnowing.

In the middle of all this, the morning email meditation from Richard Rohr, and a couple of other sources, was about giving up the illusion of control. This caused me to give a bitter, hollow laugh,  considering the context in which it landed.

Happy day everyone, we're not in any danger of imagining we're on top of things, last time I looked!

But then there's this 


Remember last fall when this was planted across the street and Steve identified it as a flowering prunus?  Yesterday it burst out in pink blossom. Ta-daaa!




29 comments:

  1. Good job on the re-purposing and all of your new learning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often will say there are no mistakes. Just lessons. And it was so true for you.
    And I love how you have used what you have to make something you needed.
    Reuse, one of the three big R’s Go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday and today were great schooling.

      Delete
  3. Reusing is a good practice. My husband is n expert at it. He always has something he repurpose so he can fix things. He picks things up along roadsides and trails and uses them, sometimes years later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun day you've had!
    Learning is healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. It was entering the realm of no return, though. Terrible warp.

      Delete
  6. I loved your creativity in yesterday's post (you are creative in all ways!), and I love the reframing of what happened today into learnings. Angela's saying is most excellent: no mistakes, just lessons. (This next bit isn't so applicable to you, but very applicable to my life...) To add onto that, once someone told me that there are no mistakes, only lessons - but you may be presented the same lesson time and again until you finally learn it.

    Chris from Boise

    PS First screech owl egg appeared yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The owls definitely landed then, great. And when the student is ready, the teacher appears! In various guises.

      Delete
  7. Learning is lifelong, eh? Enjoy the blossoms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here's what I have learned from you today- do not be overly discouraged when attempting something new(ish). It is all part of the process of learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. So long since I last did it, it counts as new. And some helpful videos have vanished from YouTube in the interim.

      Delete
  9. sometimes deep sixing a problematic start is better than trying endlessly to fix it. and yeah, control is an illusion. being able to let go is one of the best mental health tricks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think women rarely have the illusion of control. Men maybe more likely to have. Just musing.

      Delete
  10. I'm under no illusion I am on top of anything! I have no idea what you are talking about but what you weaved looks good this me. May today be even a better weaving experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today started with a new mistake, further on this time! Sigh.

      Delete
  11. We like the colours - shame about the warp. The principle of weaving should seem so simple but even something like tablet weaving of narrow strips is intensely complicated. (we have a folder of how to videos and instruction books, and patterns but F is a wimp about getting started. She keeps saying she needs to finish other things she has started.....excuses) I assume it is because you humans like colour and patterns that weaving is really difficult. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done tablet weaving, arghgh, yes, complex. Being a bit directionally challenged in any context, it's unfortunate for me that weaving requires the brain functions in which I'm a bit less adept.

      Delete
  12. You call it pathetic. I call it lovely. Warp and all. I really admire weavers -- it's not my skill set!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always get something from reading your posts - even about projects not going so well. I love the colors of this weaving, too. And I am reminded to always consider that mistakes (or challenges) are simply learning opportunities. No pink blooms on any trees here yet, I think we're a week or two behind you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised we're ahead of you. We're getting a mixture of blossoms and frost.

      Delete
  14. You're certainly undertaking a learning curve on this project. Seeing your radio reminded me that I miss having music in my sewing room. Unfortunately our building is built using cement blocks and for some reason a radio simply will not bring in any sort of signal here. I tried streaming over the internet for awhile but that only put my useage hours up and I was getting charged extra. Resident Chef often turns the music channels on the tv but his taste in music (old country) is NOT mine. Unfortunately I'm a captive audience.
    Glad the new tree is proving to be a bloomer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the sound of the radio better than the tinny tablet and phone renditions. How odd that you can't get radio signals. So you can't get emergency radio alerts either. I suppose you can get them online if the WiFi doesn't go out. Hmmm.

      Delete
    2. We get the emergency alerts either online or over the tv. Probably would get them on the cell phone too if I ever bothered to turn the thing on.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!