Saturday, March 4, 2023

Polkadot begonia, puzzle, and rhe Princess Bride

Now that one begonia has moved out, I turned my attention to another. I've had these polkadot begonia prunings growing in water for ages, so I finally potted this one up.



Plenty of root formation


And when it gets going, it might be another library offering, but it has to grow a bit more first.

This freed up the pitcher it was growing in to join today's winnowings.

Winnowing today was aerobic,  involved crawling around emptying the narrow floor cabinet beside the stove, where the baking trays and boards live.  And where there's an awkward unreachable shelf at the back, too deep for me to reach, so I used a big wooden spoon to knock out the little trays and things  from the old toaster oven, which have been buried there, out of sight and unused, forevah.

I found, happily,  they all fit into the new toaster oven. So that freed up a couple more old trays for winnowings. And I put them on an accessible shelf above the toaster oven, in sight. 

While I was on a roll, I checked a couple of high, rarely-used shelves and found glass tealight holder things, added to the w. collection. And I even looked in the cabinet under the sink in the downstairs bathroom.

Here's what's for the recycling. The jar probably had some very non-food contents, better recycle.


 And here's the possible Freecycle group

I stopped off at the knife drawer above the floor cabinet on my way up to vertical from the tray cabinet, and added in a medium kitchen knife.

After this, and posting this group on Freecycle, I needed to take a break. 

So I did a bit of this pretty simple, 300 piece puzzle,  a primitive painting style farmer's market-meets-Richard Scarry. Big pieces, it's practically assembling itself, just my speed today.  A lot of fun 

I'm reading The Princess Bride, the joke within a joke within a joke, the gullible need not apply, that one.

Inigo Montoya rides again!

Happy evening everyone, that book does not mean what you think it means...



27 comments:

  1. How I LOVE that book. My kids all loved it too. And movie is terrific, of course.
    I have a cabinet like that which has to literally be crawled in. I don't think there's anything in there anymore except probably what the mice have left me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a worse, deeper one under the corner of the counter. I had lazy Susan shelves built in, to make it usable. Not a great cabinet design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am quite sure those impossible-to-deal-with kitchen cupboard 'holes' were designed by people who couldn't come up with an adequate alternative. Some smart soul thought it was a bright idea to add Lazy Susans and that is nothing but a frustration because it's a given that things will fall off and force you to crawl about at the risk of life and limb to retrieve it. A good Lazy Susan design would be to make the 'drawers' with higher walls to hold things in place. And then, there's our kitchen where the entire depth of the stove is dead space in the corner - and no way to access it even if we wanted to use it.
    Further on that issue, I recently came across an idea to, when building kitchen cupboards, to add a plastic skeleton in that dead space. Can you imagine the poor soul that uncovered that in some future kitchen reno?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think most kitchens are designed at all. Definitely not by anyone with normal proportions. Such as arms that are not as long as we're tall..

      Delete
  4. I've never read "The Princess Bride," but I did see the movie when it first came out. It's about time I watched it again, now that it's a cult classic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that book, too. It is killer funny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have neither read the book nor watched the movie. I shall wait your review to see whether to rectify the situation.
    Our kitchen was designed by Ikea and yes, we have a lazy susan in the awkward corner cabinet but it has a sort of rim around the edges so nothing falls off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was designed by a contractor especially for this cabinet abd mostly things don't fall off.
      I can recommend the movie right off. With the guardrail: nothing is to be taken too literally it's one giant put on. And I'm realizing the book even more so. I already fell for it and deleted a comment which was soooo wrong!

      Delete
  7. You really are doing well with the winnowing.
    I need to desperately do my wardrobe and draws but I just can’t seem to sum up the strength or courage right now.
    The princess bride sounds familiar but I don’t think I’ve read the book. Might have to check that out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just do one little part, a few minutes, at a time. That way I don't get overwhelmed.

      Delete
  8. Dittoing SparklingMerlot. Sounds very intriguing.

    Aerobic winnowing - does it get any better than that?!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit past aerobics, really. I'd never do this as exercise on purpose. Accidental exercise.

      Delete
  9. I've never read the book, but we love the movie. Sounds like I need to read the book too!

    Good for you for being diligent with your winnowing. Mine is more sporadic because on nice days I want to be outside, doing things that need doing before summer sets in. That, and the baby goats are a huge distraction. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think kids have priority, particularly brand new ones like yours. Blogistas, Leigh has a great blog about homesteading and self sufficiency, walking the walk. Go check her new little goats.

      Delete
  10. You seem to be winning at winnowing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would if I didn't also keep rationalizing the new items finding their way in.

      Delete
  11. I've never read the book The Princess Bride but I adore the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The begonia sprouts actually look mighty fine in their jug. You seem to be able to multiple them quite easilyy. Xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the descendants of generations of cuttings and. pottings. They're easy to propagate. Or maybe we just understand each other.

      Delete
  13. You know, I've never read The Princess Bridge -- just seen the movie (which is a classic, in my mind!). Well done on the winnowing. One step at a time. (Though high cupboards -- why do they bother?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my kitchen the high cabinets just disguise the air duct from the range hood. Not great design.

      Delete
  14. I saw the movie "The Princess Bride" - very nice :-)))
    A hug to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm completely inspired now. I was already thinking after your last post that I need to try starting some plants from cuttings. I've played with it in years past, but with nothing as substantial as a begonia. The china teapot used as a receptacle for rooting cuttings raises the project to something elegant. Your winnowings may just be the death of mine. Your discarded teapot inspires me to look around for something similar, and make a mental note to keep it when I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's surprising how many plants can start in water and go on to be very big in pots.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!