Friday, March 10, 2023

Knitting, Augmented Reality and soup

Today, still feeling perfectly well,  wanting to go to the knitting group, but concerned about possible infection,  I hauled out the government issued Covid test kits. 

Two boxes had directions only in Spanish. The diagrams were clear, but I still needed the text. The third box had only English. Why the feds didn't give both to everyone is beyond me.


I got a clear, definitive negative, yay.  So plans were on for the group this afternoon. I routinely mask everywhere but at home anyway.

Meanwhile some Misfits got busy in soup. Butternut squash, the remains of the giant one plus the current one, and carrots. My doctor wants me to hold back on salt, so I omitted it and bumped up the spices.



A lot of people like their soup like this, with veggies in chunks. Except for pasta fazool or other soups where the point is to have chunks, I usually blend mine


And, to make sure I remember to eat raw carrots and add parsley and cilantro to everything that doesn't move, I make them obvious, when I open the fridge 

Pita bread, filled with blueberries, is often breakfast, or toasted, filled with cheese, goes with soup for lunch.  There's salt in pita bread, and in Tony's chocolate (!),  so I'll avoid it elsewhere.. I think I'll reeducate my palate to need less salt. I don't use a lot, but less is fine.

Yesterday's winnowing was several paper files, which resulted in a mass of soaked unreadable paper for the recycle and several manila file folders just the ticket for the ArtShaped torso, I think.

Out of half a dozen files, only a few pieces of paper were keepers. The rest was ancient stuff no longer relevant to anything 

Then this afternoon, on to the knitting group where this fabulous finished Slightly Slanted Sarah Swett sweater was in attendance.


Meg is glam, and this turned out a treat. Oversized as planned, it's beautiful, with great finishing detail..

Meanwhile Randy, young artist, and I were deep in art talk, my Object Involving a Head, and his current experiments in augmented reality. 

He created a video on the spot, to show me how it worked,  with one of his own cartoon figures inserted onto the chair next to me!


Mind-blowing, needs the latest iPhone to work this. He has a lot of ideas on directions to take this. You can move the virtual figure in real space, move around it, mix it, or multiples, to interact with real people on video.  By next week this will probably look old to him because he'll have leapt ahead.

So that's what's up with our talented bunch today.

Happy day everyone, stay well, I plan to 

I hope your own reality is augmented interestingly this weekend.



25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Mine is a low level one. Can't receive texted pictures! So it can do quite a bit of nothing. IPhone seems able to do anything.

      Delete
  2. That sweater is outstanding! "In my day" that sweater would have ended at the waist, with ribbing or some such finish. This oversized beauty is a wonderful delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've passed on your compliment to the maker.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Joanne about that sweater. It is beautiful. And green is my color! It seems you often freeze carrots. I wonder if you blanch them first? Mine Tend to stay in the fridge for long spells. I can't eat them raw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never blanch anything, and it doesn't seem to make any difference that I can tell. Of course freezing changes the texture, but it doesn't matter when you're going to cook them anyway.

      Delete
    2. Well, I was noticing that they look really fresh. And, I've noted before that you are much more industrious than I, and I REALLY thought that if you went to the trouble before you freeze. Good to know. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. You have reminded me I have a freezer full of zucchini. I need to make some soup. Maybe tomorrow. That sweater is gorgeous. You need a certain je ne sais quoi to wear a garment like that and Meg has it in spades.
    I am always gobsmacked at what phones can do especially when they haven't been around that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the hands of an imaginative thinker, iPhones can be amazing.

      Delete
  5. Glad you are C-free. Granddaughter is now clear. Grandson isn’t yet, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping he soon will be. It's a relief to get that negative reading.

      Delete
  6. Our covid tests always come with two sets of instructions. One in Spanish, one in English. Perhaps the English one got omitted by accident in yours.
    Well, as everyone has said- that sweater is just beautiful and Meg does wear it with style and grace! I love it.
    It's so cool that you have such a diverse group. I know that must enrich the experience tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to own that sweater! I am a salt monster, I wouldn't be happy to not use it, but I guess I could get over it. Maybe. Your soup is always good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like salt, but I'm needing to cut back, so oh well. I can't afford the bp levels I'm at even with two medications.

      Delete
  8. Relieved that you're testing negative - hopefully that continues!
    That green sweater is lovely. I imagine it took forever to knit. I've toyed with knitting myself a sweater but then I remember that I have the attention span of a gnat so I know it would likely never get finished.
    I-phones remain a total mystery to me and I expect they always will. My new cell phone gets used once a month to call the grocery store to tell them we're there to pick up our groceries. I know it has a camera feature which I did figure out how to use but then the learning curve came to an abrupt stop because I couldn't figure out how to get them from the phone to the computer. Had I spent a whole lot more time on it I know I would have figured it out but it comes down to the fact that I have a working camera so why do I need one on the phone too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do all my blogging on the phone because that's where my pictures are and the edit function is better than the one on the tablet. My laptop is only used in desperation when I need to scan and print. I've been a one finger blogger for years now.

      Delete
    2. I don't have internet capability on my phone because I refuse to pay for double internet costs. I was a secretary in a previous life so I have to type 'properly' so cell phones and tablets are nothing but frustrating for me so I do all my internet using a full-sized keyboard.

      Delete
  9. What a great looking sweater tunic. That soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always cream butternut squash soup too. So good. I use little to no salt and avoid processed food as much as possible. My blood pressure was perfect in my last check-up. Veggies minus the salt are a good food choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, my DNA governs high bp throughout my family. But it's still worth a try. I use very little salt already.

      Delete
  11. Loving Meg's sweater and doesn't she wear it well too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I stopped using Salt in cooking when I realised hubby just added it to his food without even tasting it.
    I wasn’t a happy camper about that.
    I love all the technology and what it does. They’re just amazing those phones these days.
    I especially love the calculator my teacher told me I’d never have in my pocket lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprised you weren't happy about his assuming he needed to add salt. It's considered rude to the cook not to taste first. But a lot of men do it!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!