Monday, March 13, 2023

ArtShaped moving again, and Together food happening

Today I took a look at ArtShaped for better ideas on constructing the body, since my own are more elaborate than I think will work. 

Here's the principle I think I'll go with 


So today I'll be constructing large tubes. Thanks to the paper winnowing, I have folders that I can work with. Stay tuned!

And I've been studying the Together cookbook for ideas. Here's what I'll adapt today


This is Ethiopian, where the bread is the plate as well as a utensil. Pita will work. I have the lentils and the berbere mix, and for greens I'll use scallions, parsley and cilantro. No tomatoes till Misfits delivers, but never mind.  

I use recipes as a framework of ideas, not a legal document. Likewise playing early music.

The sheet music you see for Renaissance works is largely the labor of later editors trying to bring the music to their own audience. 

In actual Renaissance times, composers would give only the opening and closing measures with general instructions to follow this pattern in the middle.  I think this is exactly the right approach for music and food.

For people who make exactly what's in the recipe instructions and play exactly what's printed on the page, go for it, you're the person it's intended for.  No criticism here. But I have been criticized for my free adaptations in both food and music. Not that it's stopped me, as you may have noticed.

About puzzles, here's the current jigsaw puzzle, a wild cartoon about a sailing ship and crew


And the next word in the Haggard Hawks puzzle is

PYRAMID

The pattern is that the letters MID move one place to the right each time. Easy when you spot it, baffling when you don't.

My adaptation to the clock change is a bit hilly this time. Awake at five, ready to go, took morning meds, then knocked the half full glass off the night table with my sleeve. 

Ended up crawling around with a dustpan and brush, finding broken glass and water all over. Then realized it was only four am to my put-upon body. I don't seem to know when to sleep. This will take a few days. 

Today and probably tomorrow are nor'easter days, if the weatherfolk are right, high winds, heavy rain. Good for staying home.

Happy day everyone. Adapt your day to suit you, never mind the instructions.




33 comments:

  1. You are always so busy. I guess the same could be said about me, just different busy. I generally get new recipes by running across them on the internet in various ways or by searching for something to make with a specific ingredient. I do generally follow recipes but I may fudge with the amounts or make a substitution. I wish I had had ArtShaped when my grandkids were little. It would have been a good addition to my crafts for kids books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ArtShaped is a resource for anyone, really.

      Delete
  2. When I do follow recipes, it is because they may have some ingredients I am not so familiar with and would like to learn about. Then I can play with them. I think this is not unlike a musician who has to know her scales and chords before she can play with those. The basics are...well, the basis, I suppose, upon which you can build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do have to develop a sense of harmony in flavors, that's quite true.

      Delete
  3. The first time I do a recipe I try to stick to it pretty carefully. The second time -- all bets are off! And most of the time I just cook by my head. Such fun. Started sorting pieces for my Agatha Christie puzzle yesterday. I think I will be doing it till I'm 93.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that approach! When I'm just setting up a new puzzle I'm also thinking I won't live long enough to complete it!

      Delete
  4. I try to follow recipes closely because I don’t know any better. When I was teaching, I’d often deviate from any suggested plans, because I did know better. Mind you, I didn’t run across very many complete lesson plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to work with a sixth grade teacher whose lesson plans consisted of "we will see how we go" at the top of each page. He was a good teacher, but a nightmare for a substitute teacher to pick up on.

      Delete
  5. Catching up on your posts. I made a salmon and sweet potato tray bake this week - but decided that needed more veg so added extra potato, red and yellow peppers, and broccoli. Very nice too. Younger Son has just tried his hand at soap making. I'll pass on the suggestion about ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he tries the ivy leaf soap, let me know how it goes. Your food always sounds so good.

      Delete
  6. I've always considered a recipe a guideline and rarely follow it. I take out what I don't like and make susbstitutions........all the time. I guess that's why I don't bake. Baking is far too precise for my liking. Have fun with the puzzle and take a picture when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bake but beyond the basic chemistry, make a lot of changes and subs.

      Delete
  7. I never fully adapt to DST. I do not like it! I only use recipes for something I'm not familiar with. I've become a lazy cook so that doesn't often happen. I look forward to your progress on paper person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Artistic licence, always! Except with legal documents. Not much room for improvisation in those, if they're drafted well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You rain makes for our two days of snow on the horizon here. Enough already! The sun is bright and lengthy when it can get through anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had little interludes of sun, gone before you get your coat on to go out.

      Delete
  10. I am not fond of DST either and we had a lot of clocks to manually reset, but it's easier when they spring forward vs. back. I like the bread acting as the plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The injera bread as plate is an Ethiopian feature. How practical.

      Delete
  11. I don't do well with time change and this year is no different. I doze half the day away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it disorienting, too. Don't know whether I'm tired, hungry, or what.

      Delete
  12. I spend 6 months of the year looking forward to the end of daylight saving. Whoever decided this was a good idea should have been shot. Men (and it would have been a man) do like to control nature. A bit like music and cooking really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish they'd leave it one way or the other.

      Delete
  13. Love that type of jigsaw puzzle. I have several at home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m like you. When I first make a recipe I follow exactly. But then it’s open slather
    I change ingredients or add some and I’ll always throw in something I think might give it a kick lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never follow a recipe exactly! I read it and decide what I want to do. But I know some people do, then branch out later.

      Delete
  15. My body does not like this time change. I look forward to seeing your creations and thank you for your concern.I bruised my hand today in the narrow doors of the dental practice. I hope you were okay with the broken glass clean up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think ny now that medical offices would understand about accessibility. I survived the broken glass episode, thanks, and haven't found any stray splinters

      Delete
  16. A recipe's "not a legal document". Sometimes you crack me up, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear people talking about it, and knitting patterns, as if there were a penalty for deviating!

      Delete
  17. I hate the time change too and don't see any reason for it. In my ideal world they should split the difference between the two times and darned well leave it alone. Here in Canada there are a couple provinces that refuse to change and that has to be SO confusing for everyone around them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are states here and even sections of states that refuse. How anyone can figure out travel I don't know!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!