Thursday, March 16, 2023

Misfits, Freecycle, winnowing and Together -influenced food

 Yesterday the winnowing involved shoes. I hsve very few pairs,  one for winter walking and places where my feet will be under a table, one for more dressy requirements, one clean summer sneakers, one gardening SS. 

There's another pair for when dressy becomes walking and walking becomes trash. 

But I also had two pairs-in-waiting of nice corduroy boots. They were a repeat of another pair, so I just put them on the shelf ready, assuming they were fine. 

Yesterday I tried them to see if I'd like to wear them. And found this batch was so narrow I couldn't get my foot in. Probably a change of mfr. This has happened to me before with shoes made in China. At first fine, the next order cut so shallow impossible to insert a foot. And too late to find the paperwork for a refund.

Freecycle


Posted less than five minutes before  three requests arrived. By eight last evening they were in a new home. 

I had warned about the narrowness issue when I wrote the posting, so I hope the recipient has a narrower foot than mine and will enjoy them.

And, a bonus, I winnowed a reusable insulated bag to contain them, yay.

Maybe today will be about ragged paperback books which I have on my Kindle anyway.

Food yesterday was a sidebar from Together, using their recipe for berbere, they'd approve, with onions and garlic and greens, they'd approve, to make a tuna filling for pita, they'd approve.



Hot yesterday, second half-filled pita just warmed today, equally good. Definitely doing this again. It used up the last of my onions and garlic, so fortunately Misfits came over the hill




Complete, in perfect condition, and ready for various plans. I haven't had celery in a long time, so maybe salad, maybe soup, maybe both.

The yogurt is by far the best of the various brands I've tried, nicer consistency than Dannon, not waxy like that Greek stuff, cheaper than Icelandic but as good quality.

I always buy whole milk plain so I can use it in various ways. I find flavoured yogurts, except for the lovely mango I used to get at the Asian store that moved away, metallic with a nasty sort of aftertaste.  So if I want a flavor, I'll add it.

The box arrived after I got home from donating a couple of puzzles to the library puzzle-lending collection, where they were happily received, after a Monty Python type of bureaucratic sequence.

First person at circ. desk, the usual first stop said no, sorry we're not accepting donations. I appealed to the person next to her, who accepted my last donation, and he said, if it's puzzles, which he could see, we are, but not here. You need to go to the inquiry/reference desk .. which was two steps away, in fact she'd heard the dialogue to date.  I did so, saying I've been referred to you, which amused her hugely, and two puzzles from Rose are now in the collection. The Farmer's Market might be on the public puzzle table. 

I also overcame a fear Mary will probably relate to, about another bureaucracy, the state motor vehicle agency. Mary, I feel about getting my car in for inspection the way you feel about certain appointments.

I do know why though. The guys at the agency inspection stations are notorious for bullying and screaming at the women drivers bringing their cars in. They're more civil to men 

I've had awful experience, unable to hear and understand what they wanted, when it used to be a full-blown safety inspection. 

You couldn't make appointments, just had to wait in line, sometimes for hours, as they slowly got through the cars ahead. No way to leave, one car width between inspection equipment. And it was annual, by law.

 At some points you stay in the car operating lights, horn etc in the exact order they say, or shout, sometimes pull forward to have emissions equipment attached and run, sometimes drive forward fast then hit the brakes to test stopping distance. Sometimes you have to get out of the car, if they want to jack it up to see underneath,  sometimes stay in, bellowed at if you guess wrong. 

It was a whole lot of items, very good for vehicle safety, legally required annually. And a shattering experience. The inspectors were answerable to nobody.  

Successive governors tried to reform the process, fired all the bullies, and ended up with a new name for the agency, new logo and paint job. And new bullies. It seems to be the sort of job that attracts petty dictators.

So when they opened up private inspection options, at dealerships and repair garages, I started getting my auto dealer to do it, and any adjustments it needed in order to pass. 

I gladly paid the, pretty steep, fee. I could sit in the dealership waiting room with a cup of complimentary coffee and a bagel, while polite mechanics did the doings.

But now the inspection is for emissions only, much briefer, and I've been wondering if I should save money and brave the no-fee agency.  

After worrying about it a couple of days I called the dealership instead, and set up an appointment for next week, and added in a couple of routine checks while I'm there. I decided my peace of mind was worth the $.

Meanwhile back on the art front, I've calmed down and cheered up, and the head for the moment is guarding the cookbooks while I think about my plans.

 I suspect part of my upset was related to Covid coming next door, and the sight of my across the street neighbor looking terrible as she made her way to the car for yet more chemo. 

It's a gruelling period for her,  and she's so depleted it's hard to see. Little I can do other than the occasional text. She's been able to set up drivers to get her to her treatments in the absence of Gary, till he tests negative. The plan had been for him to drive. But I did feel very helpless and pulled down about it all.  You do, when you care about someone, You know how it is.  Then the art debacle, oh well.

Anyway, equilibrium more or less restored, have a good day, everyone, try to keep your balance when all around are losing theirs.

Poland is sending fighter jets and there will be drone jamming equipment for Ukraine, too. Especially in light of the Rxxxxn spraying and downing of a US drone into the Black Sea. Not retrieved, so they didn't gain much by downing it. 

And Ben and Jerry's true colors have come out, attacking Biden with lies online, and anti Ukraine propaganda. Another business on my don't go there list. I know they sold it, but I expect they still get some benefit. I had no idea they were so right-wing. They'd always portrayed themselves as hippie businessmen. 



 



35 comments:

  1. Huh - not sure what you've been reading about Ben & Jerry's.

    It is hard to feel helpless when a friend is suffering. Glad your neighbor has been able to find alternate drivers till Gary tests negative.

    Congratulations on further winnowing, and that exchange at the library was quite amusing.

    I was dismayed to hear about the bullying at the vehicle safety check stations. There is absolutely no call for that. Wise to pay a bit more to avoid it altogether.

    That's our favorite yogurt!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully we don’t have to deal with our version of the DMV much at all. Hubby does through work but they are not allowed to bully and if they do they get reported quick smart. We are a nation of Karen’s and we don’t put up with that at all.
    Safety checks, we call them road worthy inspections are done by the mechanics and they need special training and licensing. We have that. So I just leave it in the hands of hubby and son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours don't bully men! But they seem to think women don't belong in cars. Your husband wouldn't be bullied! Good thing too. I have nobody to hand it to, or I would.

      Delete
  3. About Ben, I was reading his Twitter timeline. If I can find today's I'll screenshot and email to you. Don't want to give him more attention in here, it's what he's baiting for.
    It wouldn't surprise me if the DMV guys were red hats in their time off! They're physically very much like the Jan6 type mobs. One station amazed people when they found out new hires, minorities, were courteous and friendly. Then they had to start turning people away because the long lines were interfering with highway traffic! Word had got around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a search for the tweet in which he claimed lead pipes were not being addressed by Biden (they've been addressing removal for over a year since the legislation funding it passed) and that lead money is going to Ukraine ( it isn't, separate funding anyway). He was roundly brought to book and now it looks as if he deleted.

      Delete
  4. That is one happy looking head! Such a cheeky grin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think he's relieved he's not being saddled with a body and have to stand up?

      Delete
  5. So much here today! First off- the Misfits box made me happy, as always. A nice cream of celery soup is always good. Or a celery-rich chowder if you have any seafood stowed away in your freezer.
    The inspection situation sounds horrible. They probably hired ex-mechanics, fired from their jobs because they couldn't fix a damn thing. Just my guess. I think you are absolutely right in paying the dealership to do it for you. Some things are just not worth saving money on.
    I do know that you must be upset, seeing your neighbor going through such a trial. I've been there with friends too many times and it hurts the soul and the heart not to be able to truly make things better.
    When will Gary be freed from covid jail? Soon, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was thinking of a nice soup, spring like. The joke in NJ is that if you're too rude for the ICE office, you work at the NJ State motor pool, and if you're too rude for there, there's always the DMV, which now has a new name I never remember. MVC, that's it.

      Delete
  6. it must be so hard for folk with cancer, and having to go through chemo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed months ago how she was suddenly looking much older. I know now that was right before her diagnosis. I hope so much she does well.

      Delete
  7. In spite of hating the inspection, I've always respected the men and women running the tests in concrete block buildings, stinking of emissions, summer and winter. We've reduced the test down to exhaust and presence of catalytic converter. The techs have gone out of their way to excuse me from actually driving the car when they see the walker and watch me get out hanging onto any bit of car I can reach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly you have different personnel at your DMV. Good.

      Delete
  8. That head looks like he's plotting something!
    I dread getting my car serviced if there is something I need to bring to their attention. I get the "what would she know" look.
    Flavoured yoghurt is horrid. Low fat flavoured yoghurt even more so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I like my dealership -- they're respectful. I don't get that oh god a woman treatment from any of the staff. Also they have women working there, always nice. It occurs to that I have never seen a woman at an inspection station. All boys clubs. That explains a lot.

      I think low-fat anything isn't appealing. I eat moderately but well. Real butter, cheese etc, full fat milk. It hasn't done anything bad to my health yet.

      Delete
  9. Very interesting post. We don't have to do that with the DMV thank goodness. In fact we can renew our license on line. I like that. I do also like the face. Have a nice day today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can do quite a few auto procedures on line, so much easier. But I think licences have to be renewed in person because they take a new picture.

      Delete
  10. I’m working on culling books these days. A great little second hand book store is taking them. It is hard to part with them but so much better when I open the cupboard where I stored them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've winnowed hundreds of books over the years. The price I got from a local used bookstore wasn't worth the effort. So I free cycle or take to the thriftie.

      Delete
  11. I'm not sure what is required for annual inspection here because my husband takes care of car things but he's never gone long when it's time. the one time I went there was just recently while husband was in the hospital, needed new windshield wiper blades, wiper fluid, and the air checked in the tires. they were quick, polite, and only charged me for the wiper blades, everything else they did as a courtesy.

    I always buy plain or vanilla whole milk yogurt. anything else is just candy, too sweet. here's a tip for the celery though I haven't tried it yet, this from a neighbor who says it works...wrap your celery in aluminum foil and it will stay fresh for much longer. I only use celery for cooking (husband does not) and sparingly in salads and it goes bad before I can use it all so I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing that was not a State agency. They can't remediate nor sell anything. As I said, anywhere else I'm treated well. I'm a customer, not whatever the DMV think I am.
      I chop and freeze celery after I've saved the tops for salad, since I'm probably using it for soup anyway. I eat it as salad for a day or two.

      Delete
  12. Love the head! I think it is relieved to not have a body. We don't have to do that testing anymore. The people weren't as bad as that. Thankfully. I'm sorry about your neighbor. It's hard when there is nothing you can do to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm liking the head pretty well. Maybe your motor vehicle people were "Minnesota nice"!!

      Delete
    2. Minnesota nice is the most toxic passive/aggressive behavior there is!

      Delete
    3. I know. And it's one that isn't evident to Easterners. I've encountered Wisconsin nice which I think is similar.

      Delete
  13. Shame about the shoes - would they not have served on your redesigned 'character'? I chuckled when I read the pythonesque exchange. It brought to mind an incident in which a friend (in UK) found a tortoise in his garden. Tortoises cannot be sold as pets in UK now, so in order to avoid a rush of locals claiming the 'unmarked' tortoise, he turned it in at a police station in a neighbouring village. The exchanges he had with the village plod about the found tortoise were side splitting in the retelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if the officer had to enter it in some official log!

      Delete
  14. Sorry the inspection thing can be or used to be so difficult. I am not even sure if we still do it. I don’t think that I’ve done it since COVID. Oops I am now reminded that I may have to renew my licence because it changes on Sue’s birthday month. I think I renewed for two years though. And there’s no fee anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think part of the misery of the NJ inspection stations is the sheer volume of work. Ours is a small state but with the greatest volume of cars per road mile in the US. People reporting from smaller population centers are dealing with an entirely different situation. I don't think anything excuses the behavior, but you can see how people soon stop seeing incoming drivers as people who don't know the procedures and don't work there, and are not used to the deafening noise level, so can't hear. All that.

      I can afford to be nice now I'm all set not to go there.

      Delete
  15. Hippie business men is the hype they are based on. Maybe m$ney and fame turned them.
    Hilarious to me seeing neohippies with historically genuine hippie grandparents wearing elastic waist pants, and orthopedic shoes.Not all of us, but that's the picture.
    Prayers for everyone's health, and your vehicle as well. Car issues can be very depressing and disruptive to ones spirit flow. The head appears pleased with cookbook duty.
    Library skit made me laugh
    Have a good relaxing evening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I suspect is that b and j framed their business to please the target audience, but may never have really signed on to any of the values they professed. It paid off handsomely. A lot of good people believed them. I'm old and I've seen this happen before.

      I was very amused when I visited friends in Ithaca and noticed all the middle aged people still wearing their bells and sandals, long grey ponytails! Time passed them by.

      Delete
  16. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that doesn't possess a closet full of shoes. My shoes last me for years as do winter boots. Every year I've been saying I really should get new boots and every winter passes and there they are, still on my feet. Resident Chef will go through at least five pairs in the time it takes me to finish with one.
    Libraries and donations - When I finished the last of the three diary books I had published I went to one of the libaries to donate two copies (one for them to put in the reference dept and another for general circulation) and the snooty person behind the desk told me that they didn't accept donations. I was flabbergasted, especially knowing that they already HAD the previous two books I'd done in their collection. I said as much and she wandered off to 'consult somebody else' and came back and grudgingly took them. I have since checked their online catalogue and the books never got put into their system. I suspect they went straight in the garbage. The other two libraries I donated to were absolutely thrilled to have them. I'm still annoyed because they cost me nearly $30 apiece to have them published. I even went so far as to write them a letter and they assured me that they simply hadn't been processed yet. Oddly, that was well over three years ago. Argh!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible that staff shortages, wfh , etc have very much held up their cataloguing. And they may have seen them as niche, able to wait. But it's not very gracious.

      I don't have any boots. The last pair collapsed years ago and I haven't got around to replacing them. I don't have to trudge through snow so it's less pressing, now that I have no need to shovel paths. I've never liked buying shoes, difficult to fit feet.

      Delete
  17. I really feel for your neighbor -- and you. When you want to be able to do more and just can't. Never had car inspection here in Michigan. Which may or may not be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!