Sunday, March 12, 2023

The clocks got me all confused. Again

 


I rest my case. 

However I did winnow yesterday, more paper, it's endless. Neatly filed in chronological order in the right files and years since it was worth saving. No picture, you know what a paper file looks like. 

I'm now thinking of assembling all the, few, important papers from one category into a single file, down from about a dozen. This will free up more folders for art purposes, aside from feeding the recycle.

Yesterday while Handsome Son was over, we kept hearing a little beeping sound. Not the smoke alarms, stove, microwave etc. We finally realized it was from next door's patio. Billy "barking"! 

And I found an old fashioned, reissued book


It's the style people used to call "breezy". Newspaper writer, addressing economic issues for women, very dated now, originally written in the early twentieth century,  but pretty entertaining. 

She does tend to espouse the "happiness is a decision" school of thought, now pretty much debunked.  But I like the trip down memory lane anyway. And she knew widowhood and off-a-cliff income drops, so it's not the unwounded jesting at scars. 

I did finally, the rain having stopped, get the mail, including the annual letter from the Brits telling me my pension will rise starting on what I thought at first was October 4, thinking it was a bit early to tell me. Then remembered that in Britwrite it's April 10. Ah. 

So by the time the rate of exchange kicks in and Bank of America takes a healthy share for processing, I'll be able to get a second cup of tea per month in addition to the one I get now. Yes, it's tiny, but any little bit is a little bit more than before, so me, I am not doing the complaining.

Oddly, the letter came from Malta, to all, what they quaintly call, overseas recipients.Perhaps it's an important business deal for Malta, a large regular printing and mailing. 

Anyway happy day everyone, and if your clocks changed and the light feels all wrong, same here. 

Photo AC 

23 comments:

  1. It's gray and drizzly here so the light seems about okay but I imagine it's going to take me at least a week to adjust.
    A beeping dog? That's pretty funny.
    Congratulations on your huge pension increase! (Said with all appropriate sarcasm.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can't think how I'll handle the extra $9 a month!

      Delete
  2. I must remember to change my car's clock tomorrow when I am driving for groceries. Otherwise, all my clocks are changed now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of our clocks now take care of themselves. Sue will remind me to do one or two others. She has done the kitchen stove. Otherwise, since my sleep is silly anyway, the time change doesn’t bother me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ny son will change the kitchen clock on the wall that I can't reach, and I did the stove and microwave. The car I'll ignore unless it changed itself.

      Delete
  4. When I had to deal with the UK pension people over my late father's pension (tax had been paid twice, here and there and here told me to take it up with there as here wasn't going to reimburse) I had to send original documents to an address in Wales to be processed by an office in England and when I needed to actually talk to someone I got a lovely lass in Glasgow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Malta people? Maybe they deal with people outside the Commonwealth.

      Delete
  5. And I forgot to mention how much I giggled at Billy's beeping. He will never live it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt if his adult level barking will be much more impressive. Tiny breed.

      Delete
  6. LOL to your clock setting graphic. We could not manage to change the dial on our oven. It's so old, I'm afraid I'll break something if I try to force it. I guess I'll have to stop checking it for the right time - until autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Clock Changing picture - happens here in a couple of weeks. My car one is easy - as soon as I remember how - same with the cooker. Thank goodness lap-top and phone do it all by themselves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I don't rely on remembering all the clocks any more.

      Delete
  8. Can change the clocks but can't change the critters! Their estimation of when they're supposed to eat has nothing to do with those human time telling gadgets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ive always been sceptical of the bureaucratic insistence that it helps the ag sector! Animals don't read memos.

      Delete
  9. The clock change is funny as the online TV listings in another time zone catches up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An increase is an increase! Celebrate that one! Poor Lizzie. She is confused. She tells time by her stomach and it is a creature of habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Lizzie in this comment is a kitty! Just a note for those who know my non screen name..

      Delete
  11. I am not altering my time yet, since I don't have to. We never change the time on the car clock! The animals and we are on our same schedule.Eventually we creep up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if I didn't have meetings and medical appointments, I'd leave it, too

      Delete
  12. Pension increases here are paltry sums as well and certainly don't keep pace with the rate of inflation. Our rent increases every year and by more than the increase we get in our pension(s) so we're going further into the hole all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pension, based on a very short work life before leaving the uk, barely makes it into mid three figures over the 13-week pay period. A couple of weeks groceries here and there. And social security increases are exceeded by Medicare deductions, so I'm a little bit further back each time. But I'll take it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!