Friday, March 17, 2023

COVID-Free at last! Knitting group, St Patrick's Day and pease pudding

First, you'll be happy to know that yesterday Gary tested negative, neighbor, too. So all's well there. He was so happy, rushing off to visit daughter and grandchildren. And Handsome Son and I continue to be Novids.

In other news, the knitting group yielded some great works today, from K's gnome to M's  temperature blankets and cowl in progress. I finally finished the Ministry socks and I can get on with my own. Still needing steaming and finishing, but cast off.






The fancy leather tab, boutique touch on M's temperature blanket came from K.

Finished socks with row one of my own socks started.

This morning on honor of St Patrick's Day, I wore my green cardi 


Fibonacci paper artwork in the background.

and made pease pudding with green split peas. It's an ancient dish, back to medieval times, maybe further. Pudding just means this kind of cooking and serving, not dessert.

This also honors my departed Irish grandmother from Tipperary, who ended up in North Yorkshire, where this is a trad food any old time. Also I remembered to soak the peas overnight, yay me. 

It's the feast day of St Gertrude, too, and I remember Mother Gertrude, who taught moral philosophy at my high school. Brilliant young nun in a community of nuns decades older than she, used to talk about the happiness of the religious life. The only one who ever did. 

The pease pudding I did a bit differently from past tries, frying onions first, before simmering them with the peas. I used za'atar to season the onions and, instead of beating in butter after the peas were cooked, fried the onions with a mix of oil and butter. Little pinch of spiced ground kosher salt.



Simmered till tender then blended


Served with little yellow potatoes and carrots. When the pudding is cold it can be sliced and fried, too.  There's enough for two more helpings. People who like bacon also serve this as a breakfast event with egg and bacon. 

 I clearly stated I did this food in honor of a departed family member and a family tradition. Don't yuck my yum! I've moderated comments which seemed to be doing this, probably thoughtlessly, nonetheless, hurtful. It's not a food for you? Move on by..

And here's a definite sign of spring.


The first sighting of a mourning dove on the high section of the fence,  which is the scene every year of mourning doves courting. I'll soon see a partner show up, then there'll be dancing and displaying to beat the band.

I hope they nest nearby. They're nice neighbors, and now there are no local cats out, they're safe, at least from cats. Not from red tails, but they're very wise about where they nest.

And speaking of nests, here's the latest winnowing from my nest

Happy day, everyone, nest wisely, but make your mark. Or your pudding, as the case may be.





22 comments:

  1. Perfect pease porridge. I wore green corduroy trousers today, my Erin go Braugh pin and my orange shirt. My grandmother was Catholic, County Cork. My grandfather was Presbyterian, Ulster. A fellow resident told me it was a mortal sin to wear orange on St. Patrick's day, and I said then it was a sin for St. Patrick to drive the snakes out of all of Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a wonderful cartoon doing the rounds today, about St Patrick regretting driving the snakes out of Ireland. Patrick driving a car, snakes in the back seat, are we there yet? I'm thirsty! I feel sick...I saw it in a couple of places.

      Delete
  2. Makes me think of the nursery rhyme -- "Pease porridge hot / Pease porridge cold / Pease porridge in the pot / Nine days old!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've probably used it before, but I like Novid. I would like to remain a Novid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it because it's sn economical way to say it.

      Delete
  4. Great news on the covid negative results. I was almost novid. But ana decided grandma needed a dose. That’s ok. It was a very mild one and I survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it was mild. There seem to be a few strains going around at once.

      Delete
  5. I, too, am a Novid. I have no idea how. I also like to say I'm a CoNo.
    That beautiful knitted temperature blanket has stolen my heart!
    As much as I love split pea soup, I am not sure I could do the peas porridge or pudding. I would definitely try it though. I think it would be a texture thing for me.
    You looked beautiful on St. Patrick's day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I took the picture I thought Mary will say something lovely about this ancient face. And you did!

      Pease pudding, the texture when hot is like hummus but firmer. When cold it slices like boiled potatoes. But don't forget the butter. That's a vital part of the flavor.

      Congratulations on being a novid or cono member.

      Delete
  6. The temperature blanket is stunning! I toy with the idea of making one pretty much every year and then I price out the yarn required and that idea goes out the window. Besides which - attention span of a gnat.
    So glad that the tests are negative and life can continue without that worry over your and Gary's heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those blankets are a great idea, if you can figure out a color range from stash. Otherwise the cost is skyhigh. And spending a year, I doubt if I'd care that long!

      The negative tests are great. Everyone's more cheerful.

      Delete
  7. We eat pease pudding regularly with our Jiggs dinner, a Newfoundland meal. Salt meat, root vegetables and soaked, boiled split peas, usually the yellow ones. Our grandkids love this meal! It is great to continue to family meal traditions with another generations! Looking good, Boud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you see, except for meat, this is nearly a Jiggs dinner!

      Delete
  8. Nice to see all of your creative endeavors. I made a vegetable bean soup. Sneezing and a bit stuffy today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like hearing what you've been cooking. Do you think the congestion is about pollen? Time of year.

      Delete
  9. Novid! I have a new word. You look absolutely happy, glowing actually. I'm so happy you feel so much better. I don't think the texture of pease pudding would be for me, either. But now I know what it is. Life is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling pretty cheerful there days, yes.

      Delete
  10. Pease, porridgd, polenta... there are so mzny economical dishes we can cook in quantity and slice up and refry later. My dad started work at q5 and worked with an elderly bloke called Ted Tangney. Ted lived in one of those mobile shepherd huts and advocated porridge as the most versatile of foods. He only cooked porridge once a week, lined the top drawer with fresh newspaper and poured a week's worth of porridge in there. "When its cold you slice it up, fry it, roast it, ...." he said. I expect pease porridge could be like that but you go to a lot more trouble to make yours than Ted put into his weekly menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ted had a truly hilarious, but practical, approach to food. Yes, I think I'm more into using dishes! I love the stories you bring in here.

      Delete
  11. I am so glad Covid has left the building -- and not taken you with it! It sounds like your St. Pat's day was terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all's good! So glad about negative testing.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!