Thursday, March 23, 2023

Nuts and bolts

Of daily life, that is. Chop wood carry water.

Car into dealership this morning for state inspection and general once-over. Inspection fine, new sticker in place, good for two years.

Buuuut, I had felt the brakes were soft, had them check. Oh dear, red zone. Pads gone, parts needed. So I sighed and said fine, and I now have a much safer car, and an empty wallet. Even fluid flushing and replacement is more expensive than it used to was.

This waiting room is better than the state inspection station, and I got some sock advancement in.



and a very good cup of coffee from a machine. They've discontinued the bagels and cream cheese, though, probably a side effect of the pandemic. And I noticed the technicians are no longer a white guys' club, definitely better. 

All in all, despite the expense, first bill in three years, can't moan, it was a well spent morning. And the mechanic told me I'd never need to do the brakes again. Whether he estimated my life expectancy, or my low mileage history, I'm not sure.. either way is fine. And I do get free oil changes for the life of the car,so there's that.

Home to Misfits box delivery




Look at that beautiful Swiss chard. Going, some of it,  with freezer parsley,  and potatoes from that bag, into a fish pie with the cod you see there. That's tomorrow.

Yesterday was all about easy comfort food



And now I'm all about sitting with my feet up and catching up online. Happy day everyone, weekend's near if it applies to you.

 



21 comments:

  1. I fear we need brake work soon. You did well to get three years without repairs needed to the car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Minimal driving because of shutdown. All my destinations closed. But he did say I'd got a lot more mileage than usual for brakes, so he concluded I'm a good driver who doesn't abuse them. I'll take it!

      Delete
  2. "Whether he estimated my life expectancy, or my low mileage history, I'm not sure." HAHAHAHAHA, this made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I teased him about that and he looked a bit flustered! I think it's exactly what he was thinking. This lady won't be driving another 48K miles, at her current pace!

      Delete
  3. Hey Boud! Glad you got the breaks fixed. So good to be safer. Loved seeing all the food! Cheers, Ivy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does feel good to know it's a safe car now. I thought it already was, but you don't mess with brakes!

      Delete
    2. Agree! I never mess with brakes.

      Delete
  4. I am glad you had that done. Good brakes are essential. Your chars is lovely and vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it brilliant? Like beautiful trees with red trunks.

      Delete
  5. I would love to have seen the mechanic's face if you challenged him on how long he thinks you have left!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Considering that you haven't had to fix anything on the car in three years, I'd say you were way ahead of the game. I bet it feels good to have all of that done.
    I am looking forward to seeing your fish pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went in expecting to pay only for the State inspection, so it was a bit of a shock. But yes, overall okay after I thought about it.

      Delete
  7. This is a reminder that it is time to book my semi annual tire change. I’ll aim for about mid-April, but the slots fill up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have seasonal tires? Here they're year round. I remember winter tires in Wisconsin though.

      Delete
  8. I also got the chard! It's going into soup today. I'm sorry you got the extra expense but safety is kind of important. Perhaps this will be the last expense for awhile. I've never had fish pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had fish pie either! This is new learning. Isn't the chard beautiful?

      Delete
  9. You've reminded me that it's almost time to book our car for the semi-annual tire change and tune up. They keep threatening that they're going to need to do something 'dire' that has to happen when the car hits 100,000 miles and seem to be surprised when it has to be put off for another 6 months because we haven't driven far enough. Needless to say I think that particular 'thing' won't happen for at least two more years at the rate we're going. Resident Chef's sciatic issue means we aren't traveling anywhere beyond short trips around town so it's going to take a long time to put on enough miles to reach the 'limit'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It sounds like my driving. Months between the need to buy gas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Always a good idea not to scrimp on brake repairs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not often I have to go into four figures with car maintenance, but, as you say, not the place to cheap out.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!