Saturday, March 18, 2023

Italian to Turkish textiles, cardboard art, Susan Sontag and me t

Today there was a presentation from Hajji Baba and the New England Rug Society


The nice part about these programs is that the slides are captioned so you can see the age and usually location of the works.

Here Gerard Paquin was examining the transfer and borrowing of design, from Italian silk weaving to Turkish wool, and most of the slides show silk on the left, wool right. 

The idea was that wool is much less expensive a medium, so it was economical to borrow design and adapt it to purpose. Usually the silk pieces were wallhangings, the Turkish wool were  rugs, and later in the slides, cushion covers. 

I'll just run the pictures since I don't think we're vitally interested in the technical terms he was firing around.






















This shows the sheer size of the interiors where textiles were hung.


He also showed a couple of Persian miniature paintings showing rugs in action. And he referred to book design as sometimes being inspired by these motifs.

He's a collector rather than a scholar, so the idea, to him, is to enjoy the designs rather than analyze the techniques and history.  So let's do that! It's amazing to have no-cost access to this kind of work, often in private collections and distant museums.

Nearer home I've been thinking and making cardboard based art.

First, thinking.  I found a paragraph on Susan Sontag's likes and dislikes, which amused me a lot. Quite a few are on my list, too!


I never knew how many preferences I had in common with her. The resemblance ends there, I think.

And I set to work on a cardboard artwork.

This is the divider from a Misfits box, opened up, to make the shape of a Japanese long narrow landscape.

It's corrugated, so I drew my design with a graphite stick, not easy to see here

Then I started carving off the top layer


And seeing the lovely contrasting textures happening


I've been wanting to do some of this carving and got a bit sidetracked. I kept all the pieces carved off, curly bits, because I may use them. This is a low-waste piece ss well as an artwork.

After I got to this point I was so tired I needed to stop, but first I went upstairs to empty the dryer. I found when I got there I literally had to sit on the floor to rest. After a few minutes I was able to get downstairs, where the kettle was boiling, make tea and rest on the sofa.  Art is an aerobic activity! Fine now.

And here's a very appealing artist I just found out about from Jacqueline Durban

Happy evening everyone, late getting here today, one thing and another. Enjoy art and making if you like making, or just looking. All good.






 


22 comments:

  1. The Turkish rugs are stunning. I’ve always loved them.
    I’m so glad I don’t have stairs. One level is quite enough thank you. I do enough laps around here because I forget why I walked into a room. Imagine going all the way upstairs and then forgetting, going down and remembering only to have to walk back upstairs. I’m exhausted thinking about it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens to me a lot! I have three floors. But it's great exercise. Just today I was suddenly tired, probably the last gasp of the endless virus.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Isn't she lovely? She paints a lot of cheerful outdoor scenes with dresses blowing in the wind.

      Delete
  3. Those who aren't creative have no idea how much hard physical work goes into the process. Add the mental side and it's a wonder we can stand up straight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could not believe the number of art works on display. It would wear me out just looking them over, especially the intact pieces.
    The "new" artist is lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the colors. Why I wonder does anyone need to publish such a list of likes and dislikes??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Springboards to writing, I think. I love the tiny insights.

      Delete
  6. Love that Spring at Last. The fields look like this island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's joyful, isn't it? Today our temp is in the 20sf, not very spring like, so pictures are good.

      Delete
  7. I just did a quick google search for Ms. Bird and I do believe that one could base an entire textiles industry on the designs in her art from dresses to quilts to rugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's a stretch on more than a few of those to say the the one on the right was a copy/inspired by the one on the left. I do like the art by Lucy Bird. spring was here but it's gone back to bed the last several days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have loved Turkish textiles and tiles since I lived there for a year and studied Art History there. That is a beautiful painting from the artist you shared with us and your cardboard carving is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you on all fronts. I do love tiles, especially where they combine turquoise and cobalt blue! Well the name of turquoise means Turkish, so we've been acknowledging it even if we didn't know it.

      I can't tell you the pleasure of carving into corrugated cardboard! Doing more today.

      Delete
  10. I was trying to remember which blogger introduced me to Sontag's likes and dislikes and have been making up my own ever since! I think she and I would get along well! Love that beautiful Turkish workmanship and use of color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised at how much I agreed with her. Never thought ee had much in common before then.

      Delete
  11. Just asked Mr. Google about Lucy Bird and did you know - she has her work on a jigsaw puzzle? Currently out of stock though. Her work is delightful.
    Just broke down yet another cardboard box and was thinking of you the entire time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, some people get I passed Tiffany's, and I thought of you. Me, it's I did the recycle and I thought of you!

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!