Wednesday, March 1, 2023

White rabbits! Yellow daffodils! Green leeks

First day of March, supposedly also of spring by some counts, St David's Day, patron saint of Wales, leeks worn for historical reasons.


Unless they're prepped and in the freezer, in which case we break out the  daffodils

Birds are starting to wake up around my house, but Edith Holden's illustrations do it better


Yesterday's winnowing was the cutlery drawer, now clean, free of crumbs, and of an array of stainless steel tableware I haven't used in eons.  Haven't fed more than two people at once for more than eleven years.

So this collection went on Freecycle



and was requested in minutes, gone this morning,  for someone's young relative moving into first apartment.

And here's the next stage of the figure. Diluted white glue sprayed on, first coat of torn coffee filters, which will take a while to dry, then I can do more shaping. 


I think other artworks might find a place on this figure, as jewelry. We'll see how that goes. I'm also wondering if this might be a good wearer of that robe covered in embroideries.  No rush. This is like a really big embodiment of those soft sculptures I made a while back.

About the rockscape piece, it needs edges fixed but the weather, snow and frost, has stopped outdoor painting for now. It's hanging upstairs in waiting.

In other news, Handsome Son visited yesterday, helped with eating chocolate walnut cake and I asked him if he had any strong longish cardboard tubes, thinking about the armature here. 

He, true son of Boud, said well yes, but I have plans for them! He did promise me any others he might get. He's building something.

Happy day everyone! Pretend it's spring even though some of us, well, me anyway,  scraped ice off our cars this morning.


 

25 comments:

  1. Wearing leeks?! That's a new one on me. I would think wearing a daffodil would be much more satisfying somehow. Congrats on Freecycling your flatware! I have some stuff I need to Freecycle as well. Maybe this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leeks were worn in their hats as id by Welsh troops at some significant battle long ago. Easier nowadays to go for a daffodil button hole.

      Free cycle can be very satisfying when it works.

      Delete
  2. It's definitely not spring here. Someone got some nice cutlery, I should check if there is Free Cycle here. I can tell you are feeling better, you've got energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally I seem to be well each day instead of sometimes.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I burst out laughing when he said he had plans for the tubes! Apple, tree, etc.

      Delete
  4. I love that your son needs cardboard tubes too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I checked for Freecycle here. Disappointing. The only post was a request for cat food from someone who is feeding feral cats and just had 4 kittens added. A different site is popular here for freebies. I offered a free plant a few weeks ago and had 25 requests in short order. But that is a neighborhood issues site---more about lost and found pets---trash pickup, etc., and selling or giving away is just a part of the site.
    I'm glad you are feeling better. Fun to watch your art in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free cycle varies widely with regions. Here, housing and towns are close, so there's rarely a distance issue, a thing in some places.

      Delete
  6. You raised handsome son right!
    I’m over this bipolar summer we had. I’m ready for autumn to begin. And I’m really ready for the fire to be lit and cosy nights snuggled under a blanket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm reading this dressed in layers and snuggled under an Afghan and ready for warm days!

      Delete
  7. Handsome son making something, sounds like a chip off the old block. Your creative talents made it through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny to be in competition for cardboard tubes.

      Delete
  8. Like mother, like son! I do hope we'll get to see pictures of his creation as well. I have a couple sturdy cardboard tubes I've saved that I'd happily donate for your cause but the postage would be astronomical...sadly. Dollar store might have pool noodles??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect they'll show up, in the recycling possibly. Yes, you'd need to take out a personal loan for the postage!

      Delete
  9. I am hanging out for autumn. Even though we have hardly had a summer. I'd love some really cold weather right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to think of wearing sleeves again and jackets after summer. I'm looking forward to fewer layers

      Delete
  10. We had an outstanding day of weather today, but tomorrow is back in the forties. On the first of March. Why am I complaining?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't sound too bad, too warm for snow.

      Delete
  11. Take a leek has an entirely new meaning here. 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a famous early tv cooking show in the UK, very ladylike presenter, who announced at the start of a recipe: ladies, first take a leek! Never lived it down.

      Delete
  12. It would seem that spring has entirely skipped us here and shoved us right into summer. At least as to temperature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This morning we have fog! In a few days: tornado, lashing storms, sunshine, rainbows, snow, rain, fog.

      Delete
  13. Exciting to see the head taking more shape. And how fun to know Handsome Son is a creator, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!