Tuesday, January 31, 2023

Textiles and Tea, stir fry, Sock and Glove Ministry, Breck

Today's Textiles and Tea featured this weaver

Fourth generation of a family of weavers, based in Oaxaca, Mexico. He works with family members in their home-based weaving and natural dyeing enterprise 

His parents here at work


They create rugs, and are particularly insistent on processes that don't harm the environment, minimal use of electric power, preferring natural to synthetic dyes.

They're now opening a rug showroom, to bring more visibility to their products. They teach basic weaving techniques, too.

He has an engineering degree, and as you see, an eye for color and form. He has also studied the color theories of Josef Albers.





I'm so happy Textiles and Tea has got more into the sources of textile arts, and is showcasing the people whose designs and traditions are often the forerunners of north American weaving.

More humbly, I spun some, more, finished the current gloves


And  more spinning, different spindle because one was full of the current knitting yarn

I'll be using this with, I think, two strands of white cotton.

In other news, stir fry happened, onions, bok choy, scallions, over jasmine rice.


I often forget how stir fry goes so well over rice.

And on the snowdrop front, Breck got back to me, said they don't issue refunds, but here's a voucher in the amount of the purchase, to apply to any other items on their site.  

White Flower Farm issues refunds where necessary, being a reputable place, so I think I'll use this voucher at Breck, then cross them off my list.  Back to White Flower Farm.

And I have to report a landspeed record Freecycle. I put these up this morning about 11am


I checked back around noon, already an excited reply, could they pick up at 1pm? Which they did. Done.  My kind of transaction.

Are you up for a Haggard Hawks puzzle?


Go!!

Happy evening everyone, I hope your day's been productive, or fun, or peaceful, or any permutation thereof.




19 comments:

  1. Oddly, this post didn't show up in my normal feed. Don't know why, but glad I checked directly on your blog.
    Nice when you post something on freecycle and it gets snapped up. I don't know if we have that locally so will have to check to see. Our own version of it is the table in our laundry room - people put 'stuff' on the lower shelf and generally it's gone by the next day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah - answered my own mystery I think. I suspect I was checking on my feed at the very instant you hit 'publish' and that happened in the split second it took me to go directly to your blog.

      Delete
    2. I was wondering how that happened!

      Delete
  2. What the hell kind of word ends in AK? Can't think of a single one off the top of my head. Clearly I have the dumb today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a lot of those recently at the AO here in Melbourne!
    I have similar candlesticks from my ‘collecting period’ - candlesticks galore (glass, pottery, porcelain) in one cupboard, children aren’t interested so must see who else would like them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been winnowing since before the pandemic, now not so much to dispose of. I haven't used candles in years, so these were pretty dust collectors.

      Delete
    2. Great clue there!! Very timely puzzle.

      Delete
  4. Wow you sure do knit those gloves up quick. Even having to spin the yarn. I’m impressed. Those rugs are absolutely gorgeous. Once can only dream of having one. I bet it would cost twice as much as the rug to get it shipped to Australia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing you're right about the shipping. But aren't they lovely?

      Delete
  5. The candle sticks are lovely. I understand how they sold so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freecycle means giving and receiving. No money involved. I've received plenty in my time, as well as given plenty. Free literally means free!

      Delete
  6. I do like that green yarn. Offhand I can't think of any words ending in AK. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting how it reads as green. It's two thirds blue in reality.

      Delete
  7. As Magpie said, I don't know if we have a freecycle here. Of course our own personal version is to put things beside the dumpster container at the trash depot. Ha! Seriously, though.
    I am so very impressed with your spinning and then knitting. You are a wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of informal ways of free cycling! We also have the beside the dumpster activity, where I've got some nice small pieces of furniture. Also put some out and seen them taken in no time.

      Delete
  8. I LOVE those rugs!!! It seems you've got the spin/knit/spin/knit technique down pat.I haven't had a stir fry in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rugs are beautiful, Boud, with such vibrant colors and nice that the family uses processes that are not detrimental to the environment with a preference for natural vs. synthetic dyes. A stir fry always comes in handy here when we have some chicken, pork or veggies to use and you are right that it goes so ell over rice. Great news on the free cycle claims. When we were clearing out my late mother's home yers ago, I also used the put on the curb method and label "Free." It worked every time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the simplest Freecycle of all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!