Saturday, January 14, 2023

Answers to two puzzles, lunch and knitting

I'm trying the idea of blogging in the evening, just as a change from writing in the morning, brain semi functioning, eyes not yet focused. Maybe evening will work better.

Today ze moment of trrrruth, the mystery next door is solved


I'd say that's conclusive evidence that they're renovating a bathroom. I rest my case.

And the carrot/lentil soup is beautiful, golden power soup,  part of an excellent lunch, here with pita bread filled with fresh spinach and mashed sardines in olive oil, handful of cherries to follow. 


 A different form of food is this book I just started


She's a serious knitter ss well as writer, who traveled about Britain researching knitting traditions and styles and trying them herself . 

Looking forward to this and hoping she doesn't retail any of the knitting myths which are constantly being Snoped and still circulating. 

Like the one about the women knitting special designs into their fishermen relatives' sweaters so as to identify them if they drowned.   

I mean, if that had been an issue, how much easier to knit in his name, as one myth exploder says! Too true, but people insist on romantic stories to the point of inventing them.

Anyway, on to the other puzzle which I think a number of people got, the eight letter word beginning and ending with ke.

KEEPSAKE.  It seemed impenetrable at first and I tried various hopeless words before it occurred to me. 

Debra and Tom are the lightning swift puzzlers around here, I think, over the horizon, while the rest of us are panting up the straightaway to the finish a bit later.

Happy day, or evening, everyone, may all your puzzles become self evident.

Oh, since everyone has been too exquisitely polite to ask if this virus which may, don't look now, be lifting, was maybe Covid, and had I had the sense to check: I did a home test. Negative. 

So I'm still a Novid. It's a nonCOVID virus, who knows what, possibly RSV. But thankfully going away now.



25 comments:

  1. The soup sounds like it would be so very tasty.
    The book looks like it’s one I’d love.
    I might have to add it to my wish list Maybe on kindle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did get it as an e-book, so you probably can.

      Delete
  2. Our daughter was so sick recently but it wasn’t Covid either. There are some nasty viruses out there these days. I had the thought whilst in the store, masked, that I will be wearing masks in public for the remainder of my life. Whatever it was, Boud, glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think masking is the future, too. And yet somehow I caught this one despite all precautions.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! Identifying drowned fishermen by their unique sweater patterns is a myth? Well they had me hook, line and sinker with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not surprising, now that an Irish knitwear company has swung right into it, selling designs for family patterns, just in case your partner drowns on the highway and their wallet and briefcase and car aren't enough to identify them..

      Delete
  4. I am mostly a morning blogger, and especially a morning poster. Sometimes thoughts come to me during the day or evening, and I will compose a post, but then I queue it to post in the morning, and sometimes it is several mornings away if there is a long queue. It’s now Sunday, and I think that I have 3 posts in the ‘can’ and even one more to add. Other times, I will go a day or three (not usually three) without adding my two-cents to Blogdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never queue posts, just write on the fly. Mainly I've no idea what I'll want to say in a day or two.

      Delete
  5. Wow, your food photo is just divine. I need to get some lay flat photography practice in. Perhaps when I cannot get outside!
    I'm glad you don't have Covid, but any cold these days feel concerning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A compliment on photography is wonderful coming from you, thank you. I have a modest camera in a midrange Android phone, but composition is what I go for, rather than great focus. Just as well!

      Delete
  6. How nice for your neighbor to be getting a new, fresh bathroom!
    So, so glad that your mystery virus is finally packing its bag. Now for it to just walk on out the door!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it means they're planning to sell. Renovations often mean that, and our house values have leapt in the last year. Good for sellers, not so much for buyers. But in this school district there are always buyers.

      Delete
  7. I should eat more sardines. A good source of iodine which I don't get in my salt since I started using pink Himalayan in a grinder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the pink salt, but, yes, noniodized salts don't give you the iodine of the treated table salt.

      Delete
  8. It's Sunday as I read this so it is mandatory I speak the truth. When it comes to the kind of puzzle we just did I cheat. I have a computer tool called onelook that I use for my other work. Just enter ke????ke and it takes about .0001 of a second to give me the word.
    I'm so dyslexic that trying to do something like that in my head would be a first rate circus act.
    The hardest part for me is trying to come up with some clever way to tell everyone what the answer is...without saying it.
    I love those puzzles, keep sharing please.
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I think your clever clues redeem your shortcut to the answer. So that's the hard part for you. Some of us can do the puzzle but just can't create good clues. From each according to his means!

      Delete
  9. I'm so pleased you are feeling better. It's been awhile. The lunch looks delicious! I am a morning blogger. As the day wears on so does my energy. I also believe we will mask for the rest of our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a morning person. I do better as the day goes on. When I'm well, that is.

      Delete
  10. I was sick four solid weeks with a non-covid. I believe I hallucinated a viral name consisting of every letter of every known virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you had something more severe than I've had. I hope it's completely gone now.

      Delete
  11. That soup and your whole lunch is a powerhouse immune-booster. Well done!

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the plan. I find I like raw spinach this way, better than in a salad. Something about interesting textures.

      Delete
  12. I wonder if the drowned-fisherman myth arose because some knitting could obviously identified as the work of a certain person. Maybe she didn't mean to knit a pattern that could serve as an identifier, but it worked that way because she was skilled/unskilled/quirky/eccentric in her knitting. Know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I get it. But as far as I can tell, the myth started with a knitting company, not exactly folk origin. And given that a skilled knitter can literally knit the name into the garment..

      Delete
  13. I've read the 'thing' about fishermen identification through sweaters but didn't think it was true and so good to know it is, indeed, a myth.
    There are certainly a number of rather dire 'diseases' floating about at the moment - I suspect some of it is more prevalent because we've come through a couple years of being scrupulous with masks and hand washing and now those restrictions seem to be lifting it's giving germs a handhold (hah, pun WAS intended!).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!