Friday, January 27, 2023

Puzzles old and new, mixed media art, spun knit gloves

Today I got out to the local library, returned the all red all the time puzzle, and borrowed another. Slim pickins, but here's a reasonably good one, though it's flowers again.


I had hoped for a change of subject, but the other choices either I'd done or I'm not up for them. "Primitive" paintings, balls of yarn, shelves of preserves.. no baskets of kittens though, so there's that.

On the way back to the circulation desk to check out, I passed the "take any number and don't bring then back" deaccessioned book table, so this came along.. I quite like Joanne Trollope, haven't read her in this persona though. 

And they had federal tax forms and instructions, which will save me a bit of searching online and printing. I still, dinosaurus boudicus, do a paper return.  

At home I had the second of the tilapia plates, heated with a bit of butter on top, and it worked fine, with some pickled beets.

Then a bit of drawing and painting


Mixed media landscape with tree. 8"x8", butter, beet juice, basil on  Corelle background.

About healthy food, my Misfits box, full of vegetables that make Gary shudder, he only likes cucumbers, reminded me of his doctor's recent advice.

I think she really knows him and his devotion to frozen dinners. So she wants him to improve his diet, and acknowledged he wasn't going to give up his favorites. So she suggested he just add  in green leafy vegetables. Whereupon the only green leafy vegetable he could think of to buy was collard greens from his childhood 

So he got some and boiled them. Then came rushing into my kitchen, boiling pot in hand, greens looking pretty good, and said "What happens now? How do they get out?" 

And I showed him about draining! And how I didn't chuck away beautiful greens water, but he insisted it was mine because he didn't want any part of soup made with it. 

Anyway he went home with his drained greens, came back immediately to leave some with me, way too much for him, once he thought about it.  I never found out whether he did add them to his dinner. Mine went into soup with the greens water.

After the trip to one library this morning on puzzle business,  I wasn't  up for another trip to the other, further away, library to the knitting group. Just didn't feel like talking and being in a group, however nice, and they are.

But I did get to spinning and decided to wind the yarn off the spindle to make it easier to knit.

Resulting in this, first of the pair 



I think I may make a batch of brownies this afternoon,with Gary and his grandchildren in mind, in case they visit this weekend. Speaking of healthy food. . well, mental health maybe.

And on the subject of sweet stuff, the latest word puzzle from Haggard Hawks was

CARAMEL!

I think quite a few blogistas got this one. 

Happy Remains of the Day, everyone! Celebrate whatever day it is where you are, why not. Your mental health may need brownies, or puzzles, or spinning. Go for it!

 


23 comments:

  1. Brownies are indeed an important mental health food. And if we don't have our mental health, then what use is physical health?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I touched Publish by mistake. That might be why my comments disappear to sometimes. So funny.
    I use to add diced onion and bacon crumbles to my cooked collards.
    I was about to type that collard greens would be nice to add to a smoothie. Love the gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And just WHAT is wrong with baskets of kittens as a jigsaw puzzle? HRH demands to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a feeling we'd be hearing from her. Tell her nothing, nothing, they're lovely. Phew!

      Delete
  4. I had a giggle thinking he must of panicked trying to work out how to get the greens out lol
    Oh yes brownies are fantastic for mental health. Even the ones I make with the zucchini. You can’t taste the vegetable, it just makes it so moist and gooey
    Maybe you can get more greens into his diet this way

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are made from a mix he gave me, so I haven't added anything in. Just using up the mix. But I add things like veg to banana bread which I make from scratch.

      Delete
  5. Brownies and greens, sounds like variety. Brava to you on the pretty green gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think he'd agree. About the variety. The gloves are working out well. Funny how one thread takes over. Two threads are solid blue but the third really affects the color.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will look for Caroline Harvey on my next library visit. I quite like Trollope but am unfamiliar with her Harvey version.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gary is a character! We call the liquid our greens have been cooked in "pot likker" and it is delicious. I have recently decided that I may have just about perfected my greens game. Cooking them with a nice turnip or two seems to just make them so much more fabulous. Of course there's more to them than that but I had never truly realized the power of the turnip! I wonder if Gary would like them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice painting! I will admit I do not like collard greens, but since you do, bravo Gary for giving you both the cooking water and some of the collards. Brownies are good for my mental health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first acquaintance with collard greens. I made soup. I can't honestly say I want to try them again. More of a spinach person, me, raw.

      Delete
  10. Your Gary sounds like our Gary (and our Gary, aka Mr B, has been told by medico to sort out his diet too - F is tearing her hair trying to get him to understand what that means). We put beetroot in brownies here. And F is about to knit some fingerless mittens (inspired by you) for a market stall holder who gave her a lovely loaf of seeded sour dough bread at the end of a trading day. Long story which might get posted....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope we see the story about the bread. And I'm very glad to have inspired your latest knitting project.

      Delete
  11. Things are a little amiss around here so this is just to let you know I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hopefully your library obtains more puzzles. Have you priced them lately? Wow - I was shocked when I got a catalog in the mail at how much they've increased in price. A result of covid I wonder?
    Never had occasion to try collard greens and suspect I never will. I'm with you in preferring raw spinach in salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have a decent supply, but the collection is getting better known, so there's more competition.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!