Thursday, January 19, 2023

Puzzles, soup, rain

Today I had nothing scheduled, luckily, because it's been drenching down all day.

Good day for soup. So I organized butternut squash, diced potatoes, red lentils snd barley. 


Here's the pre microwaved squash, insides ready to add to soup rinds for the stock bag, seeds for the squirrels.

Kosher salt, Old Bay, turmeric, garlic, onions 


Barley simmering back there while the potatoes and squash cook.


Then everything blended, drop of lemon juice and pinch more salt, after which the barley goes in to cook more.

And there's lunch, very filling, enough for six more meals.

The jigsaw puzzle is coming along, and I like how the muted and dark edges are ready to explode into flowers any minute, see the illustration in the middle. 

I like to assemble small areas then find where they go, modular fashion, one of my favorite approaches to making.

About containers: I used the barley partly because when I made the custard dessert the other day, I finished up the cornstarch, leaving me with a very nice container. 

I'd noticed the barley in a bag in the freezer, and hadn't used it because I kept forgetting it was there. 

In a container, relabeled, on the counter, it quickly got used. Same with the lentils. They can sit ages in the fridge but as soon as I pour them into a container on the counter, I use them. 

I never actually buy containers, since there are so many coming in with other products in them. Once empty, fine!







In between all this great excitement, i finished glove one and started glove two.


I've been continuing the massive This Golden Fleece, and she's a terrific researcher. She solved a mystery for me, from one of Barbara Pym's books, A Few Green Leaves. 

This is where the vicar goes on endlessly trying to establish if any locals had been "buried in woollen" meaning a wool shroud, in past times.

He's completely unsuccessful, locals all thinking he's a bit lacking, but they like him anyway. Turns out that there was a law passed in the seventeenth century mandating this. It was a way of supporting the wool trade, cornerstone of the economy. It was abolished after a century, largely because ignored, and hard to enforce anyway.

But it would have been a very good dating mechanism for his local history studies if he'd ever managed to find any evidence in church registers or other documents.

So my current reading threw light on what had seemed an obscure fancy of a Pym character. That probably makes Pym a pretty good historian herself, unless maybe it was drawn from a real life clerical acquaintance.

There's no end to her depth! Or my interest in following these niche ideas.

Happy evening everyone, and here's a puzzle for Friday, which is likely to be when you're reading.

And bear with me if your subtle clues fly over my head!



33 comments:

  1. Will be reading Friday??? Nope. Happy to find it Thursday! I think it fun that YOU think it fun to do all that innovative cooking. Having lived in Texas, in a generally hot area, soup never was a big part of my diet. My mom didn't make soup, and my husband didn't consider soup a meal. Meals must be eaten with forks! Still, if I were there, I'd probably love one of those servings of yours.
    Your blog is a treasure. Thanks. Now for the puzzle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know of men who don't consider soup food! Food is stuff you cut!

      Delete
  2. You're right about containers. No need to buy them; they come in all shapes and sizes with the food stuff we buy. Sometimes, there are too many, and I have to get rid of some of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to multiply however frugally you shop, yes.

      Delete
  3. You make me wish I could do word puzzles again, and puzzle puzzles. The one you are constructing will be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the big contrast between the grimy old truck and the glorious flowers.

      Delete
  4. I see double LLs and all I can think of is Llewellyn, which I know is NOT the answer. I like the puzzle you chose with that riot of colourful flowers in the truck bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I boggled for a while at all the ells.

      The other side of the puzzle is just red flowers, a bit too much red for me.

      Delete
    2. It occurs to me that this puzzle is in fact a great one for you, Debra.

      Delete
  5. A good day for soup! And yours is a particular favorite of mine, except I have never added grains. Must try! We eat a fair amount of barley here as well.

    I'm enjoying the jigsaw puzzle progression and have no idea (yet) about the word puzzle.

    That new glove pair is coming along well, as is the Golden Bough.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, one Golden to another. The Bough served its purpose and I returned it. The current Golden is Fleece!

      I like barley. My mom used to give me it as a kid because it's very good for your lungs. She put it in ham soup when she had a ham bone. And often as a milk pudding, which I still like.

      Delete
    2. Oops! I read right over that!

      Chris from Boise

      Delete
  6. I know I've read that book and enjoyed it but it isn't in my Book of Books Read which is odd.
    No idea about that word with all those LLLLs - must be Welsh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where Debra came out on the word puzzle, too! Not Welsh,. not a proper name.

      Delete
  7. I used to add a soup mix to my soups to make them chunky and more of a hearty meal when I had children living at home. It had lentils and barley as well as other lovelies in the mix.
    Your soup looks very yummy indeed

    ReplyDelete
  8. Soup has become a staple here. Yours sounds delicious. I did not know that about barley. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm clearly with eon the soup as staple idea. Barley is really good value.

      Delete
  9. Our library doesn’t offer puzzles but it is such a great idea. A suggestion is in order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be working ok. Plainsboro library is the only one around that does lend, though another library I use has a big puzzle set out for anyone to work on while they're in the library.

      Delete
  10. I find the same is true for us -- if it's visible, we use it!

    WHAT IS THAT WORD?! It's driving me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's like a musical instrument. If it's out, the stand is up and there's music in it, you'll play. If it's all neatly away, you'll never get around to it.

      The puzzle is easier when you remember the answer doesn't have to be a noun.

      Delete
  11. Dear Boud: the same day as you, as it was drizzling in Bavaria, I thought: I will prepare a soup, warm and nourishing.
    So I tried "Porotos granados" , a Chilean squash and bean soup - the excellent River Cottage cookbook "Veg every day!" is written by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (as me no vegetarian except in this book). His name is also difficult to keep in mind, that even British friends call him "Whitsuntide" :-)
    As I had no butternut squash I substituted it by carrots - that worked well.

    I also adore Barbara Pam - when husband and I made an anthology for the German publisher Heyne, "Doppeltes Spiel" - "Duplicity" , I also choose one of her stories and translated it into German. She is very witty (and underrated in literature).
    Yes - things in my freezer often vanish out of my mind too - and yes again: I use beautiful glass containers from other ingredients and put nuts, dates or whatsoever into them - what I see will be used!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to give Pym more mileage by translation! I must check into that cookbook, too. Funny that the out of sight out of mind seems to apply so much to food. Thanks for reading and commenting, Britta.

      Delete
  12. You're so right about things in the refrigerator. I have a small dorm-size one that I keep grains, seeds, nuts, and beans in and sometimes when I'm going through the things looking for something I KNOW is in there, I find instead things I did NOT know were in there. But if I put them all out on the counter there would be no room for cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have more counter space. And maybe fewer things on it!

      Delete
  13. I also save jars and containers. MANY jars and containers!! My husband is one who doesn't think soup is food. He's come around to it being ok for lunch but not dinner. It's good to see you feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't think of a clue but I think I know the answer. I don't keep dried things in the fridge but in jars in the pantry...beans, pasta, rice, lentils. I like seeing them all side by side.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great day for soup with snow falling outside.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The word Ellybelly is said to be the nickname of a gorgeous girl. But you won't find that in your Funk and Wagnalls even if all the "Ls" line up. The urban dictionary talks about it. On the other hand Illawalla is an Aboriginal Australian word that means the house of plenty. It too has all the right letters in all the right places. The Illawalla was also the name of a old house built in the Skippool are of Thornton, Lancashire, England. It was built in 1902 and they tore it down in 1996. Even though the letters line up I don't think that's the word the puzzle is looking for. In the first instance it's an Aboriginal word not in the English language. In the second instance it uses the article “The,” ahead of it. That's an ill way to approach the solution and not legal so says the rules according to my gal Lilly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great clue, in the middle of the Great North American Novel! I think you outdid yourself.

      Delete
  17. Interesting that you should mention re-using containers (something we've done for years) - one of the local bulk food stores has just announced that they want you to bring your own containers which they will weigh before you proceed to fill them - then they will re-weigh and you will pay accordingly. All this came about because of the governmental ban on single-use plastics but my question is - why haven't they been doing that all along?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Exactly! Around here some health food stores have always done that, but why not everyone who can?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!