Friday, January 13, 2023

Noises off, puzzles

This van appeared  early today, three guys drinking coffee, unloading tubs of tools, I'm guessing sheetrocking, next door. 

My curiosity is up, and I suspect whatever they're doing will be noisy. 

Yesterday, still pushing to get well, Joanne's whole month with what was probably this virus, is looking familiar -- starting week four. I think after 80 it takes longer to recover. 

Anyway better than I was, not well, but I managed to get to the gas station since the tank was very low, the car, not mine, though that's true too.

I was amazed to see how different the station looked since I last gassed up three months ago, completely different, pumps in the wrong place, different card system, a car wash where the repair bay was,  attendant not the usual brusque Polish one, a brusque Indian one. 

Then later I realized I gone to the one further down  the block from my usual one. I'd come from a different direction, turned in too soon.  Easily baffled, me. 

About attendants: where I live it's illegal to pump your own gas, always attendants do it. My brusque Polish guy usually tuts at the state of my windows and washes them all. 

Yes that's not a typo, about three months. Between little driving, a small car and a fuel saving function turned on, I'm not the oil company's keenest customer. 

And I made it on the way home to the puzzle collection library, where I found the offerings sparse, probably people borrowed for the holidays, no cat puzzle. But I found this


A two sided puzzle, didn't know there were such things. Cheerful flowers on both sides. 

So I tried The Golden Bough, and read far enough to discover why it came up in Some Tame Gazelle as a possible source for sermon material. That was my main reason for borrowing it.

I found out. It's written exactly like the Victorian style endless sermons, with references to mythology, given by Archdeacon Hoccleve, the character in question! 

Ah, a little in-joke. Pym getting in a dig at the real Frazer and her fictional Hoccleve both at once. So, satisfied with my research (!) I happily returned it. She's a brilliant writer, the gift that keeps repaying rereading. Not so much Frazer. 

I'm currently rereading her A Glass of Blessings. 

Today I don't think I'll go to the knitting group, not quite up it, also just in case, not wanting to expose the group to this virus. 

We don't know all that much about transmission, so I'll do the boring grownup thing and skip it. One of these days I'll get back. Meanwhile I'm between knitting projects and might do some work on the little basket from daylily string.

Meanwhile here's a puzzle with as far as I know, one answer.

Funny clues only please. No answers yet.

Happy day everyone,  stay curious. Or nosy, if that's your preference. I think I'm part cat, always interested in what's going on out the window. I just have to find out what's up next door.



31 comments:

  1. My goodness. I thought I was doing well in filling up once per month. Sorry about the contniued drag of the virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely missed the high gas prices! I'd gassed up before and after!

      Delete
    2. Good planning! :-)

      Chris from Boise

      Delete
  2. Uh-oh, noisy renovations. I feel for you! Hopefully these will go more quickly than the Russians'!

    Funny about the gas station. That must have been perplexing. Glad you got a challenging puzzle. I've never seen a two-sided one either.

    I think I'll save that word game. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wondered if I was losing it at the gas station! But eventually calmed down and put it together! Fortunately I didn't blurt out anything to the pump attendant.

      Delete
    2. That last sentence was my attempt at a hint. Maybe it was too subtle. LOL

      Delete
    3. I'm a bit slow on the uptake! No doubt other readers will have caught it.

      Delete
    4. That was an excellent hint Steve, I too should have got it.

      Delete
  3. Now I'm curious. I'm sure you will let us know.
    Whatever it is that you have, it is taking its own sweet time with you, isn't it?
    Looks like an interesting puzzle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if it's a series of minor viruses. I never get very sick, but definitely not well either. Today I'll try a walk. That might help. The banging has started next door. But it's not overhead, so that's good.

      Delete
  4. How dare they not consult with you before undertaking renovations!! The nerve.
    We're with you in the lack of trips to the gas station because we never go anywhere so don't need fill ups very often. Here it's mostly pump-your-own but I think there still might be a few stations in smaller centres that might do it for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if they had a plumbing disaster. Around here that's usually the reason for sudden sheetrocking.

      Delete
  5. My sister, 85 years old, is just now seeing the end of that nasty bug. She got covid but that passed rather quickly, then this thing came along. In the beginning she said exhaustion was the main problem. I told her she had earned the rest.
    I too put together jigsaw puzzles. I like puzzles of all kinds. For goodness sake if I keep this up I'll be more crazy then I already am.
    :)
    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hear that about the exhaustion. After every small exertion, a rest. I hope you're working on the word puzzle.

      Delete
    2. The puzzle answer is here: For goodness sake if I keep this up I'll be more crazy then I already am.
      :)
      I know a bit vague but best I could do on short notice.

      Delete
    3. Well, doh on me! Virus brain must have got me. Yes, you got it.

      Delete
  6. I do hate it when they change things! Word puzzle is very irritating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people next door may be repairing something. Around here that often means a plumbing issue.

      Delete
  7. Prayers continue for good health
    Exhaustion. Makes me wonder if this virus parade aka pandemic, is about more than we are told. Body changes, I think, for the elderly, are easier to notice. The exhaustion issue is a concern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always funny to me how some states aren't allowed to pump their own gas. I love pumping my own. Two-sided puzzle? Neat. Happy Weekend. Cheers, Ivy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to pump gas and pay for it! Never learned. I've had friends husbands do it when I'm out of state. They take pity on my ignorance.

      Delete
  9. Glad you're feeling better enough to get out and go to the wrong gas station, LOL! I didn't know Pym parodied Frazer but glad she did. And I got the word puzzle right away but don't know how to give a funny clue without being obvious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry about the clue, just be glad you got it right off. More than I did. I had all kinds of fanciful words first.

      Pym didn't exactly parody him as much as present the sermons as boring, sententious, too long, ruining people's Sunday roast left in the oven etc. Pretty damning if you knew the context.

      Delete
  10. Two sided puzzles are fun. The ones with no border, less so. The neighbours are very considerate giving you something to watch as you slowly recover from that nasty virus.
    Gas (or petrol here) stations are all self serve now and have been for decades. It was confusing when they changed as you could sit and wait like a fool or leap out of the car to be firmly told to get back in!
    I wonder if anyone has kept anything from those times to remember the old days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My state, NJ, is an outlier in this. Largely owing to the lobbying efforts of gas station owners, I believe. Most states don't have pump attendants.

      Yes, endless entertainment here.

      Delete
  11. I’m the same as you. Small car. Only very local driving and fuel efficiency was a must when we purchased it. So it’s always ages between fuel ups. I don’t like doing it as the smell of gas makes me ill. So luckily I ask hubby or my son to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’ve never seen a puzzle like that before. I wonder if it will be hard…I wonder what is going on next door too. A day of wonder, Boud. Always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found it's easy to distinguish the sides of the pieces. One image has matt pieces, the other shiny. I wondered at first.

      I think Aditha next door would be surprised at the international interest in their work in progress!

      Delete
  13. Although I prefer an uncluttered house, in reality it's filled with too many of the puzzles. And (time traveling here - yay for the snowdrops you found tomorrow!).

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I borrow my puzzles and you have to return one before you can borrow another, that's one area in no danger from clutter. The snow drops are exciting.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!