Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Embossing returns also Textiles and Tea, and pancakes

 I needed to make a few cards yesterday, since I never replied to any Christmas mail, so I assembled the doings for embossing.



Took ages to find the burnishers, hiding among other art materials. I always forget how small they are.

So here's how you do it



Plain cardstock over stencil held to window, just run the burnishers steadily around the edges of the cutouts. 



Card and matching envelope flap. Done. No artistic skill required. But it's very pleasing.

You can use a light box too, but I find the window in daytime easier. Also I've taught groups of kids, easy to have them spread out around classroom windows.

And they don't need fancy burnishers. A blunt knitting needle, even a pencil, if you don't mind pencil markings on the back. Kids usually don't, they're so excited about the embossing. Maybe this is one to show Kira, little nextdoor visiting grandchild, come to think of it.

Speaking of fun, here's a medieval scribe with a sense of humor


Yesterday's Textiles and Tea featured Chris Acton, an enthusiastic speaker whose delivery was so fast it was hard to follow, but she was lovely and she teaches online weavalongs. I had a bit of help in the chat function with some words, nice group.





 Happy day everyone! Enjoy making something, or thinking about it if that's your speed. I started my day with this





23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cool, isn't it? Old mss. have loads of sneaky jokes in them, caricatures hiding in illuminated letters, all that.

      Delete
  2. You have a million talents! Embossing and pancakes being two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'd never have thought of doing my own embossing. The medieval cat cartoon is a great discovery! It's fun to see what entertained someone more than 500 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly often its similar to what we find funny now.

      Delete
  4. I had no idea that's how it's done! The cat flap....😄 Mark has been hinting at pancakes, maybe. My making today is stock with a ham bone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pancakes are fast food! Maybe he'll get a surprise breakfast.

      Delete
  5. Nice to know that we cats had human attention even way back then and were regarded for more than just our rodent controlling skills. Nice embossing - might tell F to try some -a cat shape perhaps. xxx Mr T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Harking back to yesterday - I'm a beet fan, most commonly grating and sautéing them. It brings out the sweetness. Then I might add a dab of yogurt.

    I used to rub pencil over object under paper, never realized it was embossing - it was thrilling to see the image appear.

    Americans in general (and I think this is true in most cultures) speak so fast. I wonder why?

    Chris from Boise

    PS I agree with all on the cat flap - someone had a good sense of humor and perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not embossing, which is a raised blank image. It's frottage. Also fun though.

      It's the middle west which baffles me most. When I lived there I was always trying to find out what was the crucial word because that's the one that was snapped out fastest.

      I don't think Americans in general speak as fast as I did long ago, before I modified my speed to be intelligible to my high school students. But it was emphasis that mattered, where the speed happened.

      Delete
    2. About beets: it's the sweetness I don't like until it's knocked down with vinegar.

      Delete
    3. Frottage - there is no end to what I learn from you!

      Delete
  7. So many crafts. So little time
    It keeps the hands busy and the mind active.
    I think today will definitely be a craft day. If I can decide which one I want to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in a good position, being able to choose which skill today.

      Delete
  8. Youse am da boss, and de embossah too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might know I'd like something with boss in it!

      Delete
  9. You just reminded of brass rubbings which I hadn't though of in years. Completely different from embossing but there you go.
    Cats have always gone wherever they want to go and I guess they were no different in 1485.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brass rubbings, and gravestone rubbings, are frottage, which is just a fancy word for rubbing!

      Delete
  10. Our grandkids would love making cards that way, Boud. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us know how they do! Happy to give you an idea.

      Delete
  11. Nice to see you're feeling up to doing something creative. And fun to see the cat/flap from so long ago. Proves that cats ruled even then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also love seeing ancient kitty footprints in thousands years old clay tiles.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!