Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Food, wellness, and arguing with the eye doctor

Misfits came today, the last of the heavily packaged and insulated deliveries. Seen here on the right of friend Diane's snowdrops, of yet to come up.

Starting next week, they're using their own vans, decreeing Thursday to be delivery for my whole neighborhood, and cutting back on heavy duty packing, no need to protect from other nonfood FedEx boxes. 

They're also reducing sharply the minimum $order, and doing away with the minimum entirely for cold pack items. For me this means eggs, dairy, fish, poultry. 

This will make it much more affordable for me to order these items, since the cold pack minimum plus the regular produce minimum has mostly pushed it out of range for me. It sounds good. We'll see.


Earlier I had my final post cataract surgery back at my regular eye doctor, who says he wants me to use reading glasses to bring my sight from very good, 20/30 or the reverse, however it's expressed, to 20/20. 

He says I'm so happy with my current vision only because of the contrast with before, but it could be better. I agreed I'm thrilled and I'll revisit the issue in June. A truce! He wants perfect, I'm fine with good enough. For now. 

Today's largely a Food Issue. Using up the last of various foods before the Misfits box arrived today, last night's supper was egg salad on steamed spinach and broccoli, with pickled beets. 


It looks like some national flag. And a custard dessert with blueberries on top. 

Lunch today was a lovely little bowl of cappellini, fast pasta, with butter, grated parmesan and black pepper. 



The rest of the custard for dessert.

 I brought in the Misfits box, washed and dried and prepped the contents, broke down the box for recycling and swept up the debris on the kitchen floor, usual procedure on Misfits days. 

No rest needed, just feeling well again. I thought yet again how easy everything is when you feel well.

My life from age five  went from perfectly well, when we left the isolated and lovely Yorkshire moors,  and went to an industrial town, to endiess illness when I was exposed to a big population and illnesses with no resistance. 

From then to age 24, when I finally escaped the climate and pollution of England, my life was more sickness than health, 

I was dragging myself through the days, lungs permanently damaged from pneumonia, bronchitis and severe asthma,  sometimes bent double fighting to breathe,  This was before modern medicine for lungs and what current remedies there were not available outside the armed forces, priority in wartime.  But if I waited to feel well I would never have managed to have a life. And I did have a life, some of which you've read about in here.

After two weeks in Wisconsin at age 24, in the dead of winter, but clean air, I felt wonderful, like champagne! 

Handsome Partner was very upset, he said "You're just feeling how most people do every day. To you it only seems wonderful because of how sick you were before. " He hadn't realized how I had been struggling until I no longer needed to. 

He felt terrible that my ordinary felt wonderful, life not fair! Not unlike my eye doctor today and being delighted with my vision because of the contrast with before!

Anyway I do feel wonderful and so grateful. Nowadays feeling well is the default not the exception. This long drawn out virus reminded me of the old days. Fine now.

Happy evening, everyone, feel well and notice happily when you do!




26 comments:

  1. So happy your eyes are much better. My currently struggling with mine. Just as I thought I need to see the optometrist a reminder text arrived saying I was due for a check up.
    I’m sorry to hear you were so unwell for so long. Glad you found a much healthier climate for the rest of your life.
    All the money in the world doesn’t matter if you don’t have your health

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you're using up the misfits food. Excellent. And that your eyes are doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear you're feeling better. Chronic illness drags us down so, so far.
    Pasta with butter and cheese is my go to comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me happy to know you are well and once again enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, was astonished at the great improvement in sight after the cataract removal. Not so good as yours, drat the astigmatism, but better enough to not reach for my glasses until I must read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your history sounds difficult but fascinating. I think most of us are just getting along with things as best we can at this stage of life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done, Boud! It is so good to see you back to normal energy levels. I do not envy you those childhood years of ill-health; so glad a change of climate did the trick. You are a doughty soul.

    Chris from Boise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You can take the girl out of Yorkshire but you can't take the Yorkshire out of the girl!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a good overhaul of Misfits' business model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I live in the beta testing area. Two hours from misfits hq. It's a limited rollout so we'll see.

      Delete
  9. I'm really happy to learn about the changes at Misfits. I haven't ordered from them in a very long time. I love the concept but could find comparable items locally for less. The changes sound really good and I'll have to look into them again. I'm glad I kept my account.

    I'm also glad you are able to feel well as part of your normal! Thank you for sharing your story. We humans take many things for granted and make so many assumptions about others. It's encouraging to meet someone who has struggled and yet comes out the other side with a feeling of gratefulness. That's an example to us all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, it depends on where you live whether misfits is cheaper. Here in an affluent part of the northeast, pretty much everything is more expensive than on misfits, and a lot of items are unobtainable. So for me it's usually a good deal. These new arrangements are not yet available everywhere though.

      Delete
  10. Boud, I had read of the pollution in England and seen general statements on its affect on people’s health. You put a face on that reality. I am glad you are feeling so much better again post flu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not just England, though. When we came here in the early 60s, handsome partner had five different offers of postdoctoral research positions, one at the Mellon Institute, which he would have loved. But it was in Pittsburgh, which at that time was impossible for me, terrible black polluted aur, so he reluctantly chose another. They were all good, but air quality was a big concern. Nowadays Pittsburgh is beautiful, after terrific attention to air quality and cleanup.

      Delete
  11. Knowing that you are feeling wonderful is the best news! And if your eyesight is making you happy the way it is, so be it. Perfection is highly overrated I believe.
    The new Misfits system sounds terrific. It certainly fits your needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my eye doctor has a little OCD. It's wonderful for my care, no detail ever overlooked, perfect lenses fitted and adjusted, great testing. But at this point I think good enough is good enough.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for your visit, much appreciated. I'll get you added to my blog list. Glad things are so improved for you. Hope things continue to improve further. Sounds like the Doc wants you to be the best you can be. Interesting information about misfits. I've wondered about them from time to time, but haven't tried them myself. I do order groceries vs going to the store and then do curbside pick up. I feel like it helps me be more organized, and waste less with seeing something and purchasing it at the store or a whim. One of benefits of this long drawn out Covid. I hope they continue the service, as I much prefer it over physically going into the store. I've never liked grocery shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think quite a few people have been happy not grocery shopping! Thanks for coming in.

      Delete
  13. Have you been such a good local ambassador for misfits that they have enough local customers to put in a dedicated delivery round? It's good news that you can now get less packaging and no minimum order requirements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's my doing! But the boxes are clearly labeled so I guess people can see them showing up. I'm hopeful about the changes.

      Delete
  14. I am so glad you found a healthy environment. Feeling well makes such a difference - glad that you're back to normal, and that your eyes are catching up with you. This is the Pym book, A Very Privayte Eye. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Very-Private-Eye-Autobiography-Diaries/dp/1447265394/ref=asc_df_1447265394/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310817435886&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15344055175889610310&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007460&hvtargid=pla-564712369916&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's right, I was remembering the wrong title. I own this one.

      Delete
  15. That really says something about the pollution levels in England back in the day, doesn't it? They're better now but Wisconsin air probably still wins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I grew up in England it was still common to burn soft coal, no other options, except wildly expensive plug in electric two bar (!) fires. Houses were freezing cold except a little area round the open fire. That cold is deadly for asthma and bronchitis patients, aside from the filthy air. They took a good step forward when soft coal was banned and houses began to have central heating.

      One of the principal causes of death for home born babies was hypothermia. My friend the midwife ( like in Call the Midwife) told me they had special training in keeping the newborn warm.

      Delete
  16. It will be interesting to see what the Misfits next evolution will mean and if it will be as good as before. Wish we had something similar here but all we can get is very pricey boxes that come with recipes and the ingredients to make same. Most often the recipes aren't something we would ever eat and the price is outlandish for what you get.
    Funny (not in the ha ha sense) how going through rough patches makes us all the more grateful for when things are good. People look askance at me when I happen to mention how grateful I am for bathrooms. It wasn't until I was in grade 11 that we got an indoor bathroom (or a tv). That sounds as though I grew up in the backwood hills somewhere but not the case. It's just that my parents couldn't afford such luxuries and it was only when my grandfather died and left them a small inheritance that they were able to add a bathroom (and hot running water - prior to that we had to heat it on the wood stove).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's easy to take comfort for granted, and if you've never experienced anything else, to miss out on really appreciating it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!