Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Post-Christmas and a seasonal collection

Yesterday's Christmas celebration was great and I did have enough energy, after simplifying and getting a lot of help from Handsome Son.

Paper plates on top of the regular ones, serving ourselves from the stove instead of fancy serving dishes, saved work and cleanup. The food went over fine, despite its episodic cooking, freezing, reheating. 

He brought cheese and crackers as always to start, ginger ale and egg nog to continue and Christmas cookies and candy, German from Aldi, very good.  

I made my seasonal collection of foil candy wrappers


At Easter he brings Aldi bunny chocolates, so there's a bunny collection then. This collecting I do is probably along the lines of fruit wrappers and banana stickers. 

He also made the tea, absentmindedly making builder's tea -- leaves into the kettle and boiled.  And it turned out to be the best tea I've had since my youf. I remember my mom had a metal teapot, Pico ware, and maybe that's the secret. I use china and porcelain.

So all went well , lovely day,  And now the table's cleared, and when I get to the library, I can borrow a puzzle. Maybe I can reborrow the cat one I never got to, if it's in. 

And today's Ukraine salute, instead of combat and battle, is about the force of art, seen in this lovely hardanger and reticello piece by a Ukrainian embroiderer. If you don't read French, continue, there's a translation


Happy day everyone, do something you like to do today, stitching, collecting bits of tinfoil, whatever pleases you. 

28 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful celebration! Reading about the tea reminded me of my MIL who had one of those granite tea pots that would probably hold about ten cups. She would get up in the morning, put in 4 bags, pour boiling water over top, set it on the stove on low heat (bags still in!!) and there it would sit all day long with more bags and more hot water added as the day went on. Take note...she never removed ANY of the bags throughout the day. That stuff was rot gut let me tell you. There was one night I was there and offered to make the tea and counted 24 bags as I threw them out. She always called my tea 'P Tea' but it was sure a whole lot more drinkable than the sludge she insisted on serving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a lovely christmas day at last!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your Christmas celebration went well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I am so glad to read a positive report of your long-postponed Christmas dinner. I have been wondering since yesterday how it went.
    I hope the cat puzzle is still in. The strange cat I saw yesterday would make a great puzzle with such an odd arrangement of markings. I wish it would come back so I could take a picture.
    I found a piece of Hardanger embroidery somewhere and had no idea what it was. I was finally educated about it by Linda Sue and I sent it to her. I knew it was special when I saw it and that I thought it was beautiful but had no idea of its origins or name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds as if Linda sue is just the right person for it. I've done hardanger in my long misspent life in embroidery.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a perfect day. I have not heard of builders tea! I'm sure that made your day! What do you do with your foil collection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foil collection just hangs around. I expect previous little bunches of foils are in the cardboard magazine holders I put postcards in. Hmmm. Maybe I'll make a Christmas accordion book, glue them to card..

      Delete
  6. Glad you were finally able to have your Christmas dinner!

    I started reading the latest Louise Penny novel. I saved it for a day by the fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how nothing goes to waste with you. Even foil wrappers from the chocolate.
    So glad you finally got to have your Christmas dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, tinfoil still feels rare and special to someone whose wartime childhood didn't have any. Like a lot of other things!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like the perfect day. It’s really all about the people. Everything else is just fluff

    ReplyDelete
  9. I’m glad for you that it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was fascinated by some brightly coloured foil that chocolates were wrapped in, and used some making my husband's christmas card. It certainly was a problem to manage, it was so fragile but it ended up looking really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you had a good (belated) Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Handsome Son arrived, he greeted me with Merry Belated!

      Delete
  12. Glad you enjoyed your christmas. F's sister experiments in and teaches embroidery and among her favorite styles/techniques ate Ukrainian designs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually Ukrainian means color. This work was executed by a Ukrainian stitcher, but hardanger is a Nordic form.

      Delete
  13. That sounds like the kind of Christmas we could celebrate throughout the year, to good effect :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!