Monday, January 16, 2023

Stress test and new surroundings

Today being cleaning day, I made myself scarce. The nearest library was closed, surprisingly until I found they were seizing the day to ramp up some renovations. 

So I went further, to the library where I meet the knitting group. Here's the view as you come in, children's department ahead, adult first right 

This is the longest I've been out since Virus Strike, so it was a kind of stress test, to see if I would be able to get home again. I was testing my energy.

I knitted and read the Golden Fleece book where she demolishes firmly the myth of the coded fishermen's ganseys. She conferred with researchers in the geographical area as well as papers and preserved knitting. 

One point is that it's very rarely that drowned fishermen, or any professional sailors in deep water, are even recovered from the sea.  Not an expectation.

The other point is that there were multiple patterns; tiny Staithes, the fishing village I knew in childhood, had at least five local patterns. Not unusual for a small crew to go out wearing an assortment of stitch patterns. 

I remember on vacation in Staithes, seeing the fishwives at their front doors, chatting and knitting like lightning the very ganseys we're talking about, usually dark blue. I expect daylight was best to see by, if they still needed to see their work, after all their experience. But it was a social thing, too.

Their day began very early, preparing and baiting lines and nets. By the time I saw them, mid morning, they'd probably already put in several hours of work. Then when the catch came in, mackerel or herring and other fish, they carted them around the local streets to sell them same day as caught. 

That was the degree of freshness I grew up on in fish. The mackerel and herring men came around the streets at home in town late afternoon. We lived only a few miles inland. My mother would never buy any fish that wasn't that morning 's catch. Money was too tight to risk. She made wonderful soused herring, rollmop. And mackerel out of the sea more than half a day was rejected. 

Anyway I think fish and knitting are closely linked for me , and this wonderful book seems to be explaining why.

This library also has a hallway where there's art on display. I've shown there with groups, but it's not a particularly good location, poor light, and restrictive hanging, people march past. 

Not the gallery experience of my local library, but it illustrates why I campaigned for a dedicated gallery when we built ours. It attracts serious art and artists, and provides an area for openings. 

Anyway there were a few small bird paintings I thought I'd show you. The lopsidedness is the result of my  trying to avoid reflections. They were accurately framed.





And I finally remembered to bring in the glasses I no longer need, to donate, in the lobby. 

It's been on the to-do list since September.

Once home I bumped into the bathroom reno neighbor who filled me in on that and rentals happening on the block, the house next door to him probably going to be occupied by friends, good. 

The reason for the sudden reno was the usual contractor thing.  After waiting months, all the new fittings waiting, suddenly the contractor, a good worker with good prices, called and said I have time and a crew tomorrow! 

So M said well why not. And while he had them on site he got a few other things done, too! Seize the day, and the contractor, before he vanishes again.

He's not selling, just getting done things he's been wanting to fix.  At some point he wants to improve the third floor where there are kind of trapdoor entrances to the eaves, very hazardous. 

I had Mike the Contractor years ago create doorways for mine and install doors which he heavily insulated on the eave side, so there's no draft whistling around and it's a safe entry for workmen.

I also did a bit of winnowing today 


These are currently posted on Freecycle, so we'll see. Nice stuff, which either doesn't fit or the color isn't for me after all. Somebody will probably like them.

Happy day everyone, don't overdo, do what I say, not what I (over)do! I also did a load of laundry..I know, I know.



31 comments:

  1. Further on the gansey discussion - I imagine there were patterns that were regional in nature, much like the cowichan sweaters from the west coast.
    Good that you got the reno mystery solved and that it wasn't as a result of a leak.
    Beautiful bird paintings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up cowichan sweaters, new to me, thank you. My education continues.

      Delete
  2. You got from the start to the finish of your day's activities, and that's the best part. Very good you could check in with your neighbors for the "real" story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, M settled a lot of my curiosity. I also took the chance to thank him for having the old fixtures properly disposed of by the contractor, instead of dumping them in plain sight illegally at the dumpster.

      Delete
  3. A good day by all accounts. Don't get too cocky and think you can do it again too soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've got my number! Great warning, and yes, it's what I might do if not deterred.

      Delete
  4. Wow, you DID have a busy day! Lovely bird paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for commenting on my blog. An interesting concept, knitting sweaters and fishing. I suppose, it gets cold and damp on the water so fishermen need sweaters to keep warm. When I was young, we could go to the wharf to buy fresh fish off the boats. Store bought fish is not as tasty once you are used to eating fresh caught fish.
    I like the water color bird paintings. I have several pairs of eye glasses to donate. Several places in town collect used eye glasses.
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for returning the visit, Julia, and taking part.

      Delete
  6. How fun! I am loving this blog, and got an extra surprise this evening! I followed Julia (previous commenter) for years. Somehow lost track, I think she took a long break. Talk about a treasure! That lady is amazing. All the art, designing and hooking fabulous rugs, AND, taking care of newborn calves. I have a screenshot of her with her foot in a bucket while working with a calf, I think. She drew the picture, told the adventure. She taught a lot about farm life in Canada. Thank you, Baud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice side effect of Field and Fen, glad you found Julia again.

      Delete
  7. Our libraries here were closed for Martin Luther King's birthday, I love the bird paintings and I'm glad you are well enough for an outing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here they're usually open because they're learning centers and library directors think it's appropriate on this day specially. It was unusual for my local one to close, but they had a reason.

      Delete
  8. You seem to have recovered your ‘perk’. I had to look up gansey. Should it have a weave look? Some images didn’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very tightly knitted in waterproof rough yarn, so it might look woven in some photos.

      Delete
  9. I lived in a fishing village when I was young but it was such a small village- my Roseland. The men hardly ever needed sweaters in Florida, although I'm sure that there was a chill in the air on the water in winter.
    I do like those bird paintings. Very nice.
    And as everyone else is saying- please take it easy today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today we go to the doctor's office to get the DNR officially signed and filed. But Handsome Son us driving and bringing lunch so it's not too much exertion for me today.

      Delete
  10. Love the paintings! Birds are a hobby of mine but watching not painting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you do the stitching on the tan blouse? Been thinking about settling down and doing a bird watercolor if I ever get all the dead stuff in the yard cleaned up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's my stitching. But the color is totally not me, lovely, but makes me look tired and depressed!

      Delete
  12. Well that was a busy day! Interesting about the sweaters. I can certainly see why fishing and knitting are intertwined in your mind! The bird paintings are great. What do the Lions do with all those used eyeglasses, anyway? It seems people's prescriptions would be so individual that it would be hard to re-use them for someone else, but what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll explain in another post, interesting question.

      Delete
  13. Well, when you decide to do, you do it all! I have to believe you were tired by the end of the day. I really like the bird paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Our local fish shop had its own trawler and the father and son would take that out early in the day and the mother would sell it. A cold hard life. And I do recommend The Library Book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have that book requested. Yes, fishing is a hard life

      Delete
  15. And Daughter tells me she is currently reading the diaries of Barbara Pym. Are you familiar with them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if that's A Lot to Ask? I've read all Pym, I think, including the cookbook!

      Delete
  16. Well, reading your post I got the idea to enquire about donating glasses. I have quite a few pairs I would like to give them away for a good cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, I hope you find a program. I was very glad to find the Lions Club in the US had a program.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!