Thursday, August 20, 2020

Never a dull moment

 The dear little car continues to present puzzles. I noticed that though there was an odometer reading visible when I bought it, it went away after I had it in for service and duping the key. Instead I had a screen called A with some unrelated number on it.  Seems to me it's good to know your actual mileage at all times, so.. 

Much study of the owner's manual, YouTube videos and various online discussions later, it turned out that the figure was a trip counter. And it's one of several choices on the same screen, including the odometer reading.

Now it doesn't look like a technological advance to me, to have to push multiple buttons to find out, separately, two  things that used to show together on my 99 Civic.  

And it was heartening to observe the number of guys as confounded as I over this issue. 

Anyway despite the diagrams I found online being too small to decipher, would not enlarge, because screenshots on people's devices. Even using my page magnifier didn't help, anyway, I took a shot.

By And spent quite a while unknowingly setting and cancelling cruise control because I foolishly thought the nearest buttons were probably related to the setting button..noooooo, they're in a completely different place.

Finally got the operative screen working, but instead of the array promised, it just toggled back and forth between two functions neither of which is identified in the manual.

Then joy, a new screen, with various choices. I scrolled through and suddenly it's all in Spanish. Still no odometer reading. I don't mind the Spanish, since the meaning is pretty claro. And the trip counter now read A zero.

Soooo off to get gas today, once again struggling with the gas cap release, till the attendant reached in and yanked it open. 

Home  again and I thought I will not be defeated by this vehicle. I'll show it who's paying the bills. Tried again. Yay, the odometer reading showed up; I seem to have driven about 500 miles since March, still in Spanish but I didn't want to push my luck. I expect it will reset itself behind my back anyway.

Meanwhile it's still full-on allergy season, and I'm adding to my tools my favorite again, local honey.


 This is raw honey, packed with pollens and other stuff that gets filtered out to make it look golden and clear. But it's as good for allergy congestion as chewing on local honeycomb.

Local is important, because the bees have processed and rendered harmless the same pollens and other stuff that cause the trouble. I think it's similar to vaccinating with killed viruses. Anyway it relieves congestion a treat for me.

Handsome Son had similar issues when he was small, and was also allergic to decongestants. So I'd get honeycomb from the local farm and have him chew on a little bit, and you could literally see him breathing better and feeling more cheerful. He liked it, too, always a strong point.

 This isn't medical advice, just what we've found. I don't use it exclusively, but it's definitely a player in first do no harm.

And nature's on it again, the Thai basil starting to go to seed.

 I'll save them along with the tomato seeds for next year. More potting soil arriving today, for houseplants and maybe another potato container. White potato this time. I have better luck with white spuds.

I do better with growing than with electronics. But I have to admit the new car is keeping my brain active with problem solving. I just don't think I should have to. I just want to peacefully drive from a to b. Or should I say A to B.

13 comments:

  1. I've got a "new" newish Prius and I just realized today that the screen tells me what road I'm driving on, what direction I am driving, and what the speed limit is on that road.
    Hmmmm....
    Interesting. It does eliminate that age old question, "What IS the speed limit here?" Especially when you see The Law.
    It's all challenging though, isn't it?
    Si.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine tells me a lot of stuff I don't care about, not being a gearhead eager to study my rpms or torque resistance or the price of bacon.

      I just wish I could stop it locking itself when I get out. In afraid one day I'll step away leaving my purse in the car and it will lock me out without keys or my phone. I have not found a screen that fixes that.

      Delete
  2. Good to read about the honey.
    New cars scare me. I will surely miss the days when I could open the hood and fix my own vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that measuring the oil level and adding washer fluid is the limit of my under the hood expertise. Which reminds me I don't know how to release the hood latch yet.

      Delete
  3. Good to know about the honey. My granddaughter has allergies.

    Well done with the odometer. Electronics can be a nuisance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A '99 Civic. I am impressed (with your car, and with you). I'm dreading when my 2003 CRV needs replacing. I will go kicking and screaming into the world of computerized cars one day, but I'm putting if off as long as I can. I'm not sure I'll get as many years out of my car as you're getting out of yours, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In nearly fifty years of driving I've had five cars. If I'd started with Hondas it might be fewer! Very slow to change. And I nursed the last one along largely because I dreaded the electronics on newer ones.

      Delete
  5. you will never need to know your oil level again. and I do strongly suggest finding out why your car autolocks the minute the door closes. You may have to reset the key, or fiddle with the internal locks in some way. Read the manual, and if that doesn't work, contact the dealer. you don't want to be trapped in the car, or have your purse, as you say, on the seat with the damn key in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a feature they're proud of! If you forget to lock, don't worry, it locks for you. It's possible that if I leave the key inside the car it may not lock itself, because the sensor is still within the frame of the car. But I'm not interested in testing this theory!

      Delete
  6. Sometimes electronics go a step too far...Sorry about your allergies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well at least you have the right attitude in thinking that all this angst with the car is keeping your brain active. Can't have our Boud being bored! But who knew that cars can talk to you in Spanish? As for the locking car with keys inside issue - I've often wondered that too but haven't had enough courage to test it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting about raw honey for allergies. We use raw honey all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in. Yes, local honey is a powerhouse.

      Delete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!