Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Food for me and my mosquitoes

 Today's huge outing consisted of a trip to the farm around the corner

 for tomatoes and white potatoes, on the way to return a library book. I decided to get gas tomorrow, enough excitement for one day. Also I have to review how to pop the gas cap again.

Then home for a macaroni salad with provolone cheese sauce, and a fresh tomato, all dressed with a mixture of olive oil, cider vinegar, freshground black pepper, pinch of seasalt, pinch of sugar, shaken like I was playing castanets. It was good. More for tomorrow, too.

After all this mad excitement, a lovely summer afternoon on the patio, knitting my diagonal scarf, listening to Prunella Scales performing Lucia's Progress.


 Pot of tea, cornbread. Watching all kind of butterflies and wasps and moths all over the butterfly bush. Then the mosquitoes got me in range and proceeded to enjoy afternoon tea on my arms. 

So I retreated indoors.

We might be gaining ground on the USPS fight, with the concession today from the PGM. Which I will believe when I see it.

I've been writing and messaging and signing up a storm this week. All my legislators, the Gov, the State AG, the chairman of the USPS governing board, and the PGM hisself. Today our AG  announced a lawsuit against the  USPS.

And  yesterday I had a word with my letter carrier to assure her I had her back, as in doing all I could.

She's as important as anyone else in this. She's a treasure. In fact the reason I was able to catch her to talk was that she brought my mail to the house instead of leaving it  in the mailbox cluster at the corner.   Because I think she noticed the package of medications, the sound of pills unmistakable. Hot weather, wanted to save me a few steps.

This is the lady who not only knows everyone on her route, she knows their pets by name. And who told me that if I didn't pick up my mail one day she was coming in to check.  She's worth fighting for. As is the constitutionally guaranteed USPS.

Climbs down off soapbox, resumes knitting.


7 comments:

  1. Your letter carrier sounds like ours. She is great too, goes above and beyond for the people on her route. And the dogs!

    Way to fight for the USPS. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a gem of a letter carrier. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he must have been shocked at the national response to his measures. for sure all Trump's other appointees have gotten away with destroying their agencies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The post office here in Lloyd is the heart of our tiny community.
    What a lovely scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must admit I haven't heard what's happening with the USPS (our news is too busy reporting on Donald AH's latest shenanigans). We live in fear here that our Canada Post will be privatized, in which case the already high rates will skyrocket even more. You are blessed to have a postal lady who goes so much above and beyond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gop have been wanting to privatize the USPS for years. This is just the destruction phase which they seem to think nobody would notice??

      Delete
  6. Love the scarf, and wish I had your postal carrier...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!