Sunday, August 2, 2020

Diamonds and brimstone

Yesterday was a wonderful spotting day. In the course of one hour on the deck: two juvenile bluejays, still fluffy, waited till a hairy woodpecker finished his turn at the feeder before dashing in. Usually adult bluejays will bustle in and the woodpecker will retreat. The babies haven't learned pushy bluejay ways yet. Then a robin, first in months, hopped by. Then a pair of goldfinches in brilliant plumage swooped past. Then, the grand finale, a hummingbird, first of the year, we don't see many, dashing around the butterfly bush.

I felt like I'd been treated to a variety show.

Today I did some pulling of spent daylily foliage, before the heat got going, up to 100f index, and hauled it away to the woods. 

And in the course of that came across a diamond necklace



And a brimstone moth



Quite a haul.  I identified the moth using various sources including my trusty Golden Guide.



 I swear by these little books. Just enough information, well organized and friendly. I have a few of them on various subjects and they never fail me.

This one has samples of moths I've found and preserved in the appropriate pages, often surprising myself when I forget they're there and flip open the pages.

Polyphemus moth body parts next to its illustration


Clouded locust underwing likewise


6 comments:

  1. I finally realized, after crowd sourcing my little metallic blue bee/ wasp that there's probably a Little Golden Guide to Insects, too, and I should invest in one. I checked. There is. And I have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we rarely see goldfinches here. usually they just pass through but spring before last a big flock came and stayed for 2-3 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's our State bird, but tge great flocks we used to see have been displaced by habitat loss, overbuilding. So it's a treat to see even a pair.

      Delete
  3. You had a great variety of birds drop by. Great theatre for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the approaching hurricane may have displaced them, or possibly alerted them to fuel up.

      Delete
  4. Birds and butterflies offer up the best entertainment and even better is knowing that it's free or perhaps for the reasonable cost of a birdbath or some seed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I really appreciate your taking the time, and taking part. Please read the comments and see if your question is already answered!